Exhaust

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
What is the best fitting headers for a "A" body? 318 with a 904 transmission. Mufflers? I'm not looking for the glass pack sound, wanting the best performance from the exhaust system.

What year?
Power steering?
Budget?
Price point, Patriots fit good on some, but like most,they hang down.
TTI or Doug's are expensive but perform well and fit good too.

For a 318? Hooker competition series 1 5/8 and get them ceramic coated. Best bang for the buck on a 318 header.

Then use 4 turn downs to make it past the torsion bar cross member These shown are 3 1/2 pipes but you can get the picture. Use any Diameter you want.

Put a turndown on the header and face it in and face another the opposite and tack it. You can move them to level them. That S on each side is then one piece. I ran 3 1/2 out the back from there using the same method. Cheapest mandrel bent exhaust you'll get. It sounded good and went 10.50's through the mufflers. It had 2 inch tubes with 3 1/2 exhaust on the orange car but like I said you can make your own size.

I did 1 5/8 with 2 1/2 on the brown Duster with a 318 worked great

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1663.jpg

Steve 055.JPG

Steve 059.JPG

DSCN1053.JPG

DSCN0975.JPG

Can' help with your header fitment question... can offer opinion on mufflers.

I have a set of Dynomax ultra flow on my BB Ford. Good low rumble with no interior cabin drone at all.

I also have a set of Dynomax Turbo mufflers that came with my TTI exhaust kit. I'm using shorty's on my 360LA, replaced the Hooker Super comp longtubes & Pypes stainless setup the car came with. Those Dynomax turbos drone like crazy under 2300rpm. I'm going to go back to the Pypes mufflers... they are much louder at idle... but no drone.

GL

Why does my post have the amount of replies and when it was posted removed? Also why is there a arrow pointing to the right? Simple explanation or what?

Why does my post have the amount of replies and when it was posted removed? Also why is there a arrow pointing to the right? Simple explanation or what?
No clue what you're talking about? Everything looks normal with replies, dates, and see no arrow.

Under normal threads my post EXHAUST doesn't show how many replies there are, the date I posted it is gone
Don't know why it shows that on your end but it shows all of that info on mine. That said, I do view the forum on my PC.

Don’t buy the headers that go around the steering linkage on the drivers side. Will get smashed flat on the first big bump. I have a set for sale I took off my car. Some assembly required……

87C0DCAC-F442-4207-89F8-0D92D2ACABA0.jpeg

Don’t buy the headers that go around the steering linkage on the drivers side. Will get smashed flat on the first big bump. I have a set for sale I took off my car. Some assembly required……

View attachment 1715919114

^^^ This. Low headers are no fun... this is what low headers get you.. the dimple at the very front was made trying to get my heap on an alignment rack.
fetch?id=988&d=1587233785.jpg

Oh... and mine came out the same way.... lol.
fetch?id=1562&d=1595958982.jpg

Which ever header you get ...make sure it has the correct flange or sized small enough to seal up a gasket.
The 318 has less flange below their already smaller port windows.
TTI has a box to check for this..
Doug's has a part number for this...
Hooker has a one size fits all a body header that seals.
Hedman std 340/360 leak...will not seal..AND are why most people use them with 340/360 heads over the hookers...because the ports are as big as the head ports.

I put a full-length dual 3"inch system on my car, with dynomax Muffs; no complaints
Wouldn't 3" exhaust be over kill for my application? 2 1/4" is just about right, 1 1/2" primary tube headers with the 2 1/4" exhaust system will scavenge the combustion chamber not only faster but more complete, doing this greatly reduces the chances of contaminating the fresh fuel mixture entering into the combustion chamber. I may have to use 1 5/8" primary tube headers. For the rpm range that my engine will be operating in I don't need big tube headers. Midlength headers may cost some low end torque from the research I've done and people that I've talked to. Is this correct or not?

What year?
Power steering?
Budget?
Price point, Patriots fit good on some, but like most,they hang down.
TTI or Doug's are expensive but perform well and fit good too.
1974 dart. No power steering. Budget? I know that a quality headers that are ceramic coated are not cheap but Hopefully it will be a one time purchase

I put Doug's on my 66 Barracuda. Got a Black Friday discount and still spent $750. Passenger side no problem. Driver's side with power steering a PITA. Have to pull the column and the torsion bar. Still had to dent for the steering coupler and torsion bar. Tried painting first...lasted 10 minutes lol. So I wrapped.

IMG_20191224_145057.jpg

IMG_20200221_213653.jpg

What's wrong with midlength headers? They are good for torque and I won't have to worry about dragging long tube headers
Longer the tube, the more torque is made.
If the typical headers, the three tubes under the steering on the drivers side drag, chances are the car is just simply to low, regardless, header companies like Doug’s and tti offer a solution. They are not mid length headers.

-
Back