Explain rocker shaft oiling...

-

Mopar92

Reaction score
Per my other thread. I just hadn’t rotated it to the magic spots for the rocker oil yet. Anyway. I pulled a rocker shaft to verify oil was or wasn’t coming out of the head itself. I’ve read on here 100 times that the notches go here or there for orientation. I for the life of me do not see a difference in the hole? I see an oversized hole, and a bolt that bolts the rocker down. I can’t see how rotating the shaft 180 makes any difference. What am I not seeing? I put it back exactly like the engine builder put them. I’m just trying to learn here. Thanks.

I should note that these are 273 shafts and rockers. Just an FYI.

Last edited:
The extra oil holes on the rocker shaft point down towards the rocker arms. That's all they are trying to get you to do when they talk about the notches in the rocker shaft.

I don’t see any extra oil holes. I see the 5 holes that are the bolt holes that holds the shaft to the pedestals. What am I missing? Those are all 100% the same size. We measured them.

These lil holes. Dude I went outside and got this just for you.

20180203_001828.jpg

I guess I didn’t take it down to see. I just pulled the whole shaft and rockers. Interesting to know what difference it makes. Is it where it shoots the oil? I guess I would have thought the shaft filled with oil and it came out no matter the direction. I’ll certainly orient them per the book... just curious. Thanks for the tech help. I’m still learning. Thanks.

Did you align the notch’s of the shafts to there proper position to allow the holes to line up and allow oil into the shafts?

Did you align the notch’s of the shafts to there proper position to allow the holes to line up and allow oil into the shafts?
That’s my question. I forget the number now. Long day. Every single hole that a bolt goes through on the shaft is the same exact diameter hole. You could rotate it until the end of time and that’s not going to let more oil in. The smaller holes are a totally different subject.

15ft lbs is what my older Manual says on these. That’s correct for a 5/16 bolt right ? I see My Mopar is like 30! No way.

Read post #2 again. Small oil holes point towards rocker arms. If you can see the small holes with the rocker shaft bolted down its upside down.

I get it. I think there is some confusion over which holes. I guess the shaft must not completely fill full of oil, this small holes down assures oil. I never questioned it, as mine are installed down. Thanks.

When looking at the cylinder head over the fender, the notch on the end of shaft goes down and to the left.

So the driver side is to front of car, pass side towards firewall for notches.

I've seen rocker shafts caked up so bad inside they barely flowed oil.

Not sure if a SB oils like a BB, but Mopar Mitch had a good head scratcher, new rebuilt motor new cam. well only got oil to one side. Well after all said and done turned out the oil passage in #3 journal on the cam was not drilled right and only one side got oil. Pissed is a understatement!

Mopar92, just like crackedback said, notch down/front on drivers side. down/back passenger side.

can barely see it in my shadow, but the notch is down and in front on the drivers side rocker shaft...
dscn0913-jpg-jpg.jpg

the little oil holes put the oil where it's needed most. The oil is placed where the pressure is the greatest. The heat, pressure and sliding friction combine to really test lubrication there. I know from personal experience that not lining up those little holes will weld the rocker arms to the shaft(s), peel off bits of the case hardening of the shaft, and send shards throughout the motor, taking out rockers, shafts, oil pump, bearings, crank journals, etc. etc.

Also - there's not that much volume being pumped up to the shafts because there's only about 10-15* of camshaft rotation where pressurized oil feeds it. The shaft carries oil but I don't think it fills all the time. Too many "leaks" and not enough volume "in".

When looking at the cylinder head over the fender, the notch on the end of shaft goes down and to the left.

So the driver side is to front of car, pass side towards firewall for notches.

I've seen rocker shafts caked up so bad inside they barely flowed oil.
Bingo - thank you.

-
Back