Extending valve cover baffle. Thoughs?

-
This is an experimental run fellas. And it's a thick bead of right stuff epoxy like silicon. I check my lash every weekend, so I'll keep my eyes on it

weekends over. how'd it do :drama:
Rain-out at the track, however made a quick hop up and down the driveway.

popped the cover off to make sure no clearance issues, and see how the oil pooling looked. Its clearly evident that the oil pooling at the rear of the covers is what leads to the sloshing out the breather. I stand pretty firm that this is a good fix to my problem. And i stand behind my thick arse bead of right stuff, as its rock freaking hard, and not going anywhere. (Famous last words lol)

I'll report back after some passes this wednesday (weather permitting) If it sprays the exact same, i'll be the first one to admit it, but I'm pretty confident I'm in good shape

good to hear. i wasn't worried about the sealant, i've seen too many motors with that stuff squeezed out of every gasket surface available :realcrazy:

mor-68790.jpg

used to look at these and wonder :wtf:

i wonder if you could "address the problem" rather then band aid it
i mean, the oil pools there, but it shouldn't, right?

so, in a perfect world the oil would evacuate that corner and return to the sump, instead of being blown out the valve cover

perhaps you could make a oil gallery (or just widen an existing one, this MAY be covered in the "oiling mods" post i never read)

after all, oil pooling on the head is not available to the pump to do what it should?

might even be a good selling point if you can corporately do it

if you want to make it more complicated, you could remote mount the breather on the firewall with a 1/2" line from the breather hole to a "T". breather on top, catch can below

View attachment breather.jpg

hey johnny, do you run a PCV ?

i wonder if you could "address the problem" rather then band aid it
i mean, the oil pools there, but it shouldn't, right?

so, in a perfect world the oil would evacuate that corner and return to the sump, instead of being blown out the valve cover

perhaps you could make a oil gallery (or just widen an existing one, this MAY be covered in the "oiling mods" post i never read)

after all, oil pooling on the head is not available to the pump to do what it should?

might even be a good selling point if you can corporately do it
Interesting thought to somehow get the oil out of this "dead" area of the head...hmm... In my mopar experience, there's always excess oil in the rear of the passenger side head, and that oil is close to the baffle hole on most valve covers (ironically) It'd take a mind smarter than mine to re-cast heads with less of a pooling surface back there, or a better designed drain hole back into the valley. The oil up there isn't an insane amount...but it is enough to huff out the breather in the transition from zero, to 7000 rpm, back to zero, in a race engine with very little vacuum. If i'm understanding you correctly anyways.

Last edited:
if you want to make it more complicated, you could remote mount the breather on the firewall with a 1/2" line from the breather hole to a "T". breather on top, catch can below

View attachment 1715352227

hey johnny, do you run a PCV ?
I thought about a separator, or catch can. And those may be my next step. We'll see what happens with this minor modification.

I want to be clear, that this is my personal engine. These aren't tactics that BluePrint Uses, or issues that our street engines even have.

This is a race engine with very little vacuum. ( No PCV )

The pooling of the oil at the rear of the head, in my opinion, isn't a free flowing fountain of oil, but rather a gathering spot due to inertia, and gravity. The spraying out the breather i get on this one side in my opinion, is because that breather hole is exactly above this spot, inline with the rockers, and some splash/sling travels directly out that hole. (On my cheapo ebay fabbed valve covers, which we also don't use in house)

I don't want to get defensive, just want to make sure people aren't picturing me back in R&D with a mad scientist hat, and a tube of RTV...lol This car/engine aren't even in the same state as BPE at the moment. but anways! hopefully we're all laughing now!

I could run a catch can, or Evac headers, or a vacuum pump, but my "spray" isn't a terrible amount. Its enough to annoy me. so I figured i'd try this baffle extension first.

Maybe it'll work. Maybe the engine needs a $500 Evac pump... time will tell! another rainy day in Ohio, so probably a good week out from the next track opportunity.

Interesting thought to somehow get the oil out of this "dead" area of the head...hmm... In my mopar experience, there's always excess oil in the rear of the passenger side head, and that oil is close to the baffle hole on most valve covers (ironically) It'd take a mind smarter than mine to re-cast heads with less of a pooling surface back there, or a better designed drain hole back into the valley. The oil up there isn't an insane amount...but it is enough to huff out the breather in the transition from zero, to 7000 rpm, back to zero, in a race engine with very little vacuum. If i'm understanding you correctly anyways.
yeah i understand
but you got access to everything you need at your job
pick up a head, look at where the oil pools, look at what the block looks like underneath, and who knows, you might be able to shoot a 1/2 drill right through there and improve oiling

you know, just cus

p.s. i also RTV'd the sides. but its a very non-professional looking job, and i don't want to ruin @RustyRatRod s high opinion of my skillmanship .lol

Yeah we couldn't have that. lol I love when people say bad stuff about RTV, yet those are the same people who pile it up on the china walls and slap an intake on top of it. Not like it doesn't squish out on both sides.

Also, long as the oil pump screen does its job, you'll never have an issue with a piece of RTV or three. Worst case scenario it'll just stay right there on the pickup screen.

Yeah we couldn't have that. lol I love when people say bad stuff about RTV, yet those are the same people who pile it up on the china walls and slap an intake on top of it. Not like it doesn't squish out on both sides.

Also, long as the oil pump screen does its job, you'll never have an issue with a piece of RTV or three. Worst case scenario it'll just stay right there on the pickup screen.
With the number of rocker arm nuts I have had land in the head without making it down, I think a 5/8 thick, 11 inch snake of rtv would have a harder time getting there :p

So for those that have been patiently waiting on me to drag my butt to the track. My extended baffle is 100% successful. ZERO LEAKS or blow by. It was HOT today. So thin oil, high temps, and no oil huff out the breather at all.

image000000(20).jpeg

Zero blow by of any kind. I was pretty happy!.

Then I would say it's a success. You remember what Curly Howard from the Three Stooges said? "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin till you do succeed". LMAO

Run two valve cover breathers on the left cover and none on the right.

You can also run a -8 oil return line from the RR corner of the right cylinder head and drain it into the oil pan.

Both are commonly seen on circle track setups.

Run two valve cover breathers on the left cover and none on the right.

You can also run a -8 oil return line from the RR corner of the right cylinder head and drain it into the oil pan.

Both are commonly seen on circle track setups.

If I'm going in circles I have a major problem !! LOL

I'm going to order Champ Pans valve covers for my race motor. They use some sort of rubber ball for an oil deflector.

I think they should have put drain holes like the elephant engines has , even sbc have them .

-
Back