Extension Cord For 220 Welder

-

My70b

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello I just picked up a harbor freight 220 vac mig welder. I dont have much welding to do a couple of floor patches and some work in the trunk.My question is my only 220 outlet is about 40' from the car can I run a extension cord? If I can what size wire should I get 10-3? Thanks Gene

10/3 "so" or "sjo" cord will be fine for what you're planning on doing as long as you're only using a thirty amp circuit. When you make the cord up, be sure to tighten all of the terminals very good

i got that same welder, and it is awesome, with a 2 year warranty. i used 10/3 and the length is 60 ft. never had a problem at all with it, even on high duty cycle, with continous useage

I bought mine at an industrial welding store ready made. It was cheaper than making one up myself.

Thanks for the info. There is a welding supply store in town Ill call them before I build one. Thanks Again GENE :-D

I got a 25 foot one of ebay for around 80 bucks shipped, solid piece, even has a light at the end so you know if it is live.

I would have liked to build my own, but the wire they sell at the hardware stores just seemed a little to rigid, its nice having a flexible purpose built and sealed cord.

Longer run = larger wire.

Soemthing 25 feet or less a 10/3 would work ok, anything longer go 8/3

I was going to make my own a few weeks ago. 8/3 was about $2.50/foot. Plus, you have to buy the ends. The wire alone was $62.50. I ended up getting one at the local welding shop for less than $70.

Amazon has one for $60. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Century%C2%AE-25-ft-Welder-Cord/dp/B002ECKP5M"]Amazon.com: Century® 25 - ft. 8/3 Welder Cord: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Wzr1f3-kL.@@AMEPARAM@@51Wzr1f3-kL[/ame]

that looks like the one i have, even has the handle on the plug to help get it out of those tight, stubborn sockets

I made a 110V 15 footer with 10/3 Romex (brainfart, could have used 10/2) and it cost me north of 25 bucks. Easier to move the 220 jack closer to the car if your in an unpaneled garage as you can use inexpensive 10/3 solid core romex. SOJJ (?) or welding cable is fine stranded heavy guage highly flexible and insulated but is expensive. Pre made slave labor 8/10G extension cords are cheaper. Use Miller wire in those inexpensive Chicago electric welders, much better than the stuff they come with. I have the multi MIG 130 and the miller flux wire runs it pretty good. the supplied Chi-Comm shielded wire really pops and spatters. If you can put any flux core wire in an oven at 250 for 30 minutes, youll boil out any moisture in there (as well as sticks) and theyll run much better. Store them in tupperware with a bag of dried rice or other dessicant to keep them dry. Use gas and even the cheap welders look pretty good.

I've almost always chosen to err conservatively, and go with bigger wire than strictly adequate. If I read correctly, 25 feet is the longest pre-made cord anyone who has replied yet is using. I would talk to the local welding supply folks. I would probably go with 10-8 for 40 feet. However, I would try to move that 220 outlet closer first.

ATB BC

just wondering what type of wire goes to your existing 220 outlet it seems to me same kind or bigger could be used for cord

I wouldn't go any smaller than what the outlet is wired with and bigger wouldn't hurt to minimize voltage drop. And remember, in wire sizes, bigger numbers = smaller wire.

ATB BC

I picked up my wire at a salvage-recycle center. When I was wiring in the outlet I was amazed at the small size of the wire out of the welder. Then I was informed that circuits for welders are based on the the duty cycle. Any way I wired in a true 50 amp circuit and used the recycled 8 gauge wire for the extension cord, better to go big.

This thread reminded me that I also was looking for one.... so after emailing miller just to see if they made one..... this is their response(which was cool they even responded).....

Sorry, but Miller Electric does not have a extension cord.

You can however make one yourself. You can go down to your local Home Depot or Lowes or electrical store an get a NEMA 6-50R and a NEMA 6-50P and a 10 gauge 3 conductor wire at whatever length you may want under 60 ft. Have a nice day.

Doug Driessen
Miller Electric Sales

So I google searched and bought this one(50 footer)......

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/shop/products/extension-cord-heavy-duty-8-3-50.cfm

When I was thinking of building my own to save a couple bucks a guy said to me "I could make a pair of shoes out of that flat foot ball over there...but I would look like an idiot wearing them" I think he had a good point. I don't really want anything Sanford and son looking in my garage.
So, unless your really hurting for money, just buy one.

-
Back