external oiling questions

-
In my opinion you are better off building your own external oil kit piece by piece. I use the Milodon 21815 pump with a stock cover and Milodon's single pick up line and stationary pickup with there pan.

In my opinion you are better off building your own external oil kit piece by piece. I use the Milodon 21815 pump with a stock cover and Milodon's single pick up line and stationary pickup with there pan.

notice the location of the oil line entering the pump ? prefer the rear enter my self, less stuff in the way. got a swinging -single line -external on mine, very pleased w/ it. built off ebay, w/ an old funnycar alum pan. so far so good---bob

I agree with what 440 said. And I been using external systems for over 20 years. Just don't forget your line should go up before it goes down to the pickup.

Famous Bob, if you don't mind me asking. You run the rope seal in your pickup?

21001 does not use the filter adaptor - the line enters the existing pump entry at the front. 21010 uses a billet pump and filter adaptor and the inlet enters the adaptor. Notice the pricing? Personally i'd use the swinging pickup version if that sort of oil delivery was needed.

The 21001 uses an adapter plate sandwiched between the block and pump and requires a longer oil pump drive shaft.

So the cheaper one uses a stock style pump(not included). The more expensive one uses a billet pump that is included?

Pump not included, that is a pump cover shown with the filter mounting bracket.
You can also use a remote filter if you like.
I have a tote with many milodon systems I have packed away over the years.
If you know how you want yours set up I could dig them out and save you
some bucks over new prices.
Most of the stuff I have is dual line swivel pick-up. Some of it never did get used.

Not sure I need a dual line. I don't think it will going over 7000 Rpm.

single line should be fine, the more expensive one has the cover/filter mount and feeds from the cover. the cheaper one gets sandwiched between your pump and the block.
I use the cover from the more expensive kit with a swinging pick up and a line I made.
it was much cheaper that way back when I did it.

Pump not included, that is a pump cover shown with the filter mounting bracket.
You can also use a remote filter if you like.
I have a tote with many milodon systems I have packed away over the years.
If you know how you want yours set up I could dig them out and save you
some bucks over new prices.
Most of the stuff I have is dual line swivel pick-up. Some of it never did get used.

^^ there you go.

I agree with what 440 said. And I been using external systems for over 20 years. Just don't forget your line should go up before it goes down to the pickup.

what is the reason it needs to up before it goes down?

One more thing. Your probably running a motor plate,in which case you should be fine. But if you happen to be running stock style motor mounts like I do, things get crowded real fast. Just saying...

Agreed, very crowded with stock mounts. Required careful carving on the stock hemi engine bracket. This is a older setup from the 70s but little has changed. They now sell CNC'd billit parts rather than machined castings. The pans are shallower also by 1 1/2".
Shown is the aluminum milodon pump and a cover for remote filter on a hemi. Fits in A & B body both since they take the same mount.
The two smaller forward facing AN fittings connect to remote filters. The larger aluminum hard line connects to a short section of braided line to the swinging pickup. The second braided line from the pickup goes to a rear facing port on the pump cover.
On a 440 the pump cover will use a side port rather than a rear facing port to work with the wedge engine mounts.
The pump cover can be had with a filter mount rather than than the remote filter fittings but I have had better luck with the remote style when it comes to leaks.
When using a stock style pump the sandwiched bracket has the forward facing line and takes up more space than the milodon pump with the port cast into the pump. But when using as a single line you can use the stock cover and filter mount. The milodon oiling system can be configured in many ways depending on what you need. I never cared much for the static pickup myself unless some good oil control baffles are welded into the pan. Easier to use the swinging
pickup. You can plug one port on the pickup when using single line.
The pump and mount both have to be bolted on at the same time off the K frame, it is that tight of a fit.

Attachments

• IMG_20150511_241427_753.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 627
Agreed, very crowded with stock mounts. Required careful carving on the stock hemi engine bracket. This is a older setup from the 70s but little has changed. They now sell CNC'd billit parts rather than machined castings. The pans are shallower also by 1 1/2".
Shown is the aluminum milodon pump and a cover for remote filter on a hemi. Fits in A & B body both since they take the same mount.
The two smaller forward facing AN fittings connect to remote filters. The larger aluminum hard line connects to a short section of braided line to the swinging pickup. The second braided line from the pickup goes to a rear facing port on the pump cover.
On a 440 the pump cover will use a side port rather than a rear facing port to work with the wedge engine mounts.
The pump cover can be had with a filter mount rather than than the remote filter fittings but I have had better luck with the remote style when it comes to leaks.
When using a stock style pump the sandwiched bracket has the forward facing line and takes up more space than the milodon pump with the port cast into the pump. But when using as a single line you can use the stock cover and filter mount. The milodon oiling system can be configured in many ways depending on what you need. I never cared much for the static pickup myself unless some good oil control baffles are welded into the pan. Easier to use the swinging
pickup. You can plug one port on the pickup when using single line.
The pump and mount both have to be bolted on at the same time off the K frame, it is that tight of a fit.

after reading all this, I`d use the set up like in the first jegs add. I like the rear fitting, less krap in the way. didn`t put a high loop in mine, works fine. the less the better. also used a swinginging p/u off the funny car, (w/ the baffled pan) like I said. I plugged one side of the dual p/u, for the single set up. all O-rings and large flat washers, had to shoerten the big line that came w/ the p/u tho. if the single p/u is placed right, I don`t see a need for a swinger. I just always wanted one. I do have a new stationary p/u (milodon) if some one needs one. sounds like the stuff rat-holed by the poster above would be your best bet $ wise. just my 2 cents----bob

One bad-*** wedge right there! One feature of the swinging pickup I'am a bit sceptical of is the 11/2" square inlet screen. With that big snap ring securing it. The math says not to good. My static pickup has easily at least 5× the screened area. Still use both systems to match the pan/application. I have seen swinging pickups with a large wedge shaped foot before. Much larger inlet screen. Anybody know where to find one?

I did a tad of math on the swinging pick-up screen and the pick-up without it in. way to small so I removed it. it's over twice the area with out it in place.

Looks like sound advice from the right person. I will be doing the same. Thanks Bob.

-
Back