Extreme energy

-

troubles brewing

Reaction score
I posted this in another forum & got no answers so maybe I had it in the wrong forum! Hopefully this will be the right one!

Has any one used the comp xs290s cam in a 440 bracket car?
I think im going to give it a try. I need to ring and bearing my engine so i was told by
comp that it was a good cam all around. Thinking about advancing it 2 degrees to bring up
running compression a bit. Along with a thinner head gasket, and taking a bit off the heads.
The dynamic compression comes out to 8 to 1 the way it is. I m not sure but i think it
would be better around 9 or 9.5. This is a race car only so it will be run on race fuel.
I have got the 26120 comp bee hive springs so its limited to under .600 lift.Does any one
known where the running compression should be? The car has run a best of 10.56-127mph
Thats with a comp 21-626-5 cam in it, .562 lift,[email protected]. I am running 1.6-1 rockers,
Victor heads,1050 carb,victor intake,0.030 over flat tops at zero deck height. 11.3-1
let me know what you think. Thanks.

When I search on summit for xs290s I come up with a small block chevy camshaft.

CAn you link to the cam or post the specs of the cam?

I have very little experience with BBs, so the following is more opinion, and conjecture;
Dcr is less important in an engine that will be spending most of it's life at well-past it's torque-peak, in a racecar. In this case the Scr is much more important. And since you said "race fuel" will be used, as a matter of fact, then you are more or less free to run whatever Scr the fuel will support at your altitude. And if your engine gets to pulling more air than it's displacement, ie. more than 100% VE, then you might need to reduce the Scr somewhat. To walk this line get's complicated and expensive. Thankfully the max VE usually falls closer to the torque peak than to the shift rpm.
Your Scr of 11.3 is perhaps low, but non-the-less is a good starting point. I think some fellows here are running pump gas with similar CRs as you with alum. heads
The Hughes engine site has some pointers on this topic, and Dave is great to talk to. But check out the tech. topics first.
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/7whataffectsmycrankingcylinderpressure.php

Thanks for the info AJ/FormS.
So your saying i may be better off with a higher Scr than 11.3-1.
I want my car to stay in the 10 second bracket using those bee hive springs but not going close to the 9s, to expensive.The cam thats in it can still be purchased from comp, its just one of there classics and i was thinking it may be better to go with a more up to date one.
I dont know if i would be able to remove and reinstall a double spring for breaking in a new cam.
Thats why i was going to use the single one.
The cam that looks ideal is the XTQ286S.It puts out some good numbers on cam quest.
The xs290s puts out about 628hp-6500 and 590ft lbs-5000.The XTQ286S has about 60 more ft lbs and 20 hp. Its hard to say which way to go.
Thanks for the info; Rick.
PS; I was born in Birtle Manitoba, you been through there AJ/FormS? Small world.

Yeah; Birtle, Myrtle,and Turtle too
Seems to me the Water Services Board went through there in the early/mid 70s and built a sewage pond there. I was a 20something year old ditch digger on projects like that.
How'd you end up in GP?

Our family moved for work in 1971 to Cranbrook,BC. From there my wife and i ended up in Kamloops,BC. Work again took us to Grande Prairie, while heading to Ft Mac. Stopped and got a job that day. Been here for the last 11 years.
I read some on the hughes site about compression. There's a lot to it.
Picking a cam is like rolling the dice. They all work, but which one get's you where you want to be. For me it's trying to stay in the mid 10 second bracket. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to go slower.
It looks like what you said about that comp cam being able to run on pump gas is true.
I ran that old comp cam on premium pump gas and octane boost additive, with no problems.I will look into filling out the info on the hughes site for cam selection. I just don't have all the information about this motor because i never built it.It seems to me that the companies want to sell you a cam that pleases the masses. Racer brown recommended a fairly large [email protected] lift.I just wonder if the comp XS290S is the one to keep it in the bracket i want to be in.
My wife and i went through some of Manitoba the summer before last.Birtle, Wawanesa, Winkler etc.We where heading to her cousins in Butterfield,Mn.I have relatives in Birtle still.Small towns are good places to grow up in, more layed back.
Good to talk to you and thanks for the advice. Rick.

.................Hi Rick, glad u got ur victor top end on......I think the XS290 should put u where u want to be............kim.........

Kim, good to hear from you again.I finally got it together, ha ha and it worked. I wreaked the rear end and spun first gear in the tranny so its time to up grade.
It mostly ran in the 10.70s but did a10.56 in good air.happy happy.
You think that cam will put me somewhere in the 10s. It would be nice if it did that ,it would save money on springs and retainers. Do you know if you have line hone your block if you put the hughes block girdle on? I am thinking of going that way.I am hoping our money comes up some so i can get the hemi denny front end. More room.
Hows things going for you? Heading back to work now to pay for my never ending project. Thanks, I will keep i touch. Rick

Yeah I moved out of Winnipeg in 84,to a small town just north of Winkler. My kids all grew up here, then one by one moved away. Two are still within an hour or so of here,but one has moved to Thompson. They follow the work,too.
My 367S went 93mph on it's maiden voyage, in 2004. I was ecstatic. I have not made any changes since.
I cannot imagine 10s.

My aunt and uncle lived in Thompson for years, they have retired and live in Carberry now. We both liked Winkler, don't know why. It's just as flat as any where else.
I would be happy to have a street car that goes that fast. Going 10s just means your money flies faster out of your wallet.lol Your picture looks like you have a cuda of what year?There good looking cars.Was it rust free when you got it?What kind of rims do you have on it?

My aunt and uncle lived in Thompson for years, they have retired and live in Carberry now.I like the Carberry area. We both liked Winkler, don't know why. It's just as flat as any where else.It used to be a real nice place
I would be happy to have a street car that goes that fast. Going 10s just means your money flies faster out of your wallet.lol Your picture looks like you have a cuda of what year? 68 Barracuda, made into a FormulaS clone.There good looking cars.Was it rust free when you got it? Yes, when I got it in 77 it was. Then it went onto blocks and under a poly tarp. Bad idea. Fast forward 20 years, and had to replace both rear patch panels, and some fender work. What kind of rims do you have on it? Those are aluminum slot mags.The front might be Ansens, but the rears are painted ET-IIs.

Began the work in 95, hoping to complete it by 98(30th anniversary). Circumstances stretched it out to Nov 99. Then 4 years of swapping stuff. In about 2004, I called it good. Nothing's been changed since.
WhereNwhen did you score the Dart? Please don't say Edsen

I picked up the dart in 2011. It came from the west coast area.It's not rust free but it's in good shape. There's no interior or working lights, just a race car.Slowly getting it where i want it to be. When i break something ,that tends to slow things down a lot.
Missed racing this last year because the tranny was slipping.Took out the engine and transmission, painted the fire wall and frame rails.Picked up a TCI street fighter 2 in Edmonton. I've heard good and bad about them, ill just have to see what happens.
My boss has one behind his 800 hp camero with no problems so far. 9.60s.
Going to go threw the motor and fix it up a bit. If i don't it will be the next thing to go.
First a broken axel,busted the rear end, then spun first gear in the 727.So the engine is next.lol
Is your motor a bored 360? I love the way a small block winds up. Sounds great.
I got rid of the tranny brake. I'm going to try to foot brake it, a little easier on parts i hope. I don't win races any way ,so it's not going to hurt.Had to buy a new shifter, not a reverse valve body any more.
I may not make this next year of racing, it depends how things go with the work around here. Things are a bit slow.I find it to be just as fun to work on the car as race it.
I don't do mechanical work , so it's a good change for me.
The car came with factory steel heads, brass rad and super stocker rear leafs with a snuber.I put an aluminum rad, victor heads and manifold, 440 source 1.6-1 full roller rockers and Cal- tracks.Getting an off set hemi brake booster and hopefully a Hemidenny front end. Just hope our money comes up in value alot. If not it will just have to wait.
Thanks for replying; Rick.

............Hi Rick, things are going good, work has slowed to a pace we can keep up to, I think line honing/boring is a good thing to do, if u have bolts now and will be using studs I would at least get it the crank bores checked because the cap will most likely be in a different spot, requiring a hone/bore.....kim......

My 367 is 40 over. That way I can call it it a stroked 340 when I get razzed about building a 360, instead of a 340. Everybody seems to think that the 340 is still king. Hah! My 360 may not win races, but that's no concern for me. I built her for street fun. And that she delivers.
I broke some stuff too, until I worked out the kinks.

I prefer the 360 myself, it's an under rated engine. Plentiful, with lots of potential. I don't know for sure, but there's not a whole lot the 340 can do that the 360 can't. That's the small block i would use. There all over the place,wrecking yards,back yards,farm fields.
340's i'm sure are the motor if you want numbers matching. But i like speed on a budget.
One of the local engine machine shops wants 3500.00 to ring and bearing my 440. I am not sure if that's a fair deal or not.I phoned a shop in Edmonton and there quote was
1500.00-1700.00. Only thing was it sounded like he wanted to bore it. If it doesn't need it i like to leave the blocks the way they are. A little more strength. You can only go so far before there done.If it needs it then i'll just have to have it done.
The hughes block girdle will be around 600.00 with honing.They recommended the XTQ294S as one of the cams i should be running,and higher compression. I like the higher compression, but still up in the air on the cam.I still think that theXS290S will do me fine. His cam choice will make a lot of power. Just afraid to much.Time will tell.

I posted this in another forum & got no answers so maybe I had it in the wrong forum! Hopefully this will be the right one!

Has any one used the comp xs290s cam in a 440 bracket car?
I think im going to give it a try. I need to ring and bearing my engine so i was told by
comp that it was a good cam all around. Thinking about advancing it 2 degrees to bring up
running compression a bit. Along with a thinner head gasket, and taking a bit off the heads.
The dynamic compression comes out to 8 to 1 the way it is. I m not sure but i think it
would be better around 9 or 9.5. This is a race car only so it will be run on race fuel.
I have got the 26120 comp bee hive springs so its limited to under .600 lift.Does any one
known where the running compression should be? The car has run a best of 10.56-127mph
Thats with a comp 21-626-5 cam in it, .562 lift,[email protected]. I am running 1.6-1 rockers,
Victor heads,1050 carb,victor intake,0.030 over flat tops at zero deck height. 11.3-1
let me know what you think. Thanks.
I'm curious about how you calculated the "running compression", I see that term used in the forums but not sure what that means. As far as the cam IDK but I can tell you that I run a COMP Xtreme Energy 292 street solid roller in my 440. Its a street car and I had no intentions of ever bracket racing it but turns out its very consistent. Last time I ran 1/4 mile it ran back to back 11.27s then after a jet change in the carb it ran back to back 11.12s so I am going to start bracket racing the car.

I used the Wallace dynamic calculator. I hope i did it right.

I use the 292 -s in a 505''/440 , it still sounds fair, but probably is a pussycat in the bigger motor. 3500 hughs convertor, feels awful loose for a 3500. haven't got on it yet to make any observations tho

FWIW..I'm using the XS282 in my 440 and it pulls like a freight train.My 440 is milder than yours,only 10.3 compression and smaller carb and older intake.

I ran the 290s in my old motor (440) with stoke stroke 12.4 comp. with rpm heads and a 1000 pro systems carb, cam worked great pulled real hard shifted @ 6600 ran10.60's in a all steel 69 dart with factory suspention and 9 inch slicks

These extreme energy cams sound pretty good to me. Comp told me that i would have to buy break-in springs to start it. I have 26120 bee hive springs that i'm going to keep on the victor heads. The springs are able to run with that cam.
Which heads are you guys running on those motors?
...........Thanks; Rick..........

These extreme energy cams sound pretty good to me. Comp told me that i would have to buy break-in springs to start it. I have 26120 bee hive springs that i'm going to keep on the victor heads. The springs are able to run with that cam.
Which heads are you guys running on those motors?
...........Thanks; Rick..........

cnc ported victor knock offs, w/ retainers and keepers from comp. almost ported max wedge flow.

-
Back