Eye have a tip to share

-

MOPARTEEN

Reaction score
Wassup guys,

I know i am only 16 and you guys have forgotten more then i know but here is a serious tip i think i should bring into the spot light. WEAR GOGGLES NOT SAFETY GLASSES! Monday night i was cutting a rust patch out underneath the rocker of my car and the rear tire wouldnt let me get a good angle on the little 2 inch by 2 inch square. So in my wisdom i go the other way so my cut off wheel can get to it and the sparks were landing on my face. I felt the sparks hit my face but i had SAFETY GLASSES on so i thought no big deal. When i woke up the next morning i was in serious eye pain. My left eye was blood shot and i could hardly open it. I went to school that day not being able to read or see out of my left eye. So today my Dad (thank god) took me to the eye doctor to see whats up and i had a big chunk of metal on my cornea. They Dialated me, numbed my eye and plucked it off with this needle looking thing. I got back to my house today at 11:00 o clock and fell asleep from my dialated eyes untill 4:00. My vision wasnt affected but i may have a little scar on my eye because i didnt go in to the doc for a couple days (because i am such a hard a$$ 16 year old, sheesh :angry7:) and it kinda set in my eye with a little rust ring or something he said. So all in all WEAR GOGGLES NOT SAFETY GLASSES because the sparks got in between the crack and dont shrug off the pain for a couple days go to the eye doctor ASAP. Well thats it i am sure you guys have been through this and probably worse but i thought i would reemphasize proper safety precautions and equipment.
MOPAR 4 LIFE! :cheers:

DSC02746.jpg

Yep that hurts. BTDT.

Could the tire been taken off to gain a better angle or access? Was just thinking. I know how it is when you want to get something done.

Hope you get to feeling better.

I've got one for you, I'm old and should know better but you know how it goes. I have a wire wheel on one side of my bench grinder, I'm cleaning up a bolt or something one day, no goggles of any kind, suddenly I get a mind numbing pain, sort of like brain freeze from a really cold drink. I go look in the mirror and there is a wire from the wheel in the middle of my eye brow, I pulled it out with pliers, it was in close to 1/2 an inch, that could have been my eye instead :angry7: No fool like an old fool.

Good advice moparteen, It's easy to not go the extra step for safety. EYE for one will start wearing my goggles more!!

When I was in my early twentys I was doing a valve job and not wearing safety anything. No big deal right? Yeah, no big deal until I blew the chips out of the intake port into my eyes with 100 psi of compressed air.

I sat in that chair while the doc fumbled around in my eyes for 30 min. with what looked like dental pics. I'm lucky I can see at all.

Thanks Moparteen for bringing this up as we should all be aware and reminded.

Damn Rob! That was a close one.

Yep, when I was learning to stick weld I lifted up my helmet just as the slag popped and went right in my left eye. Since it was hot it melted into my eyeball. Had to have my eyeball softened at the hospital with some blue dye stuff that made everything blue for a day or two. The aggravation from the scratching before I had it removed was very painful and gave me the biggest headache I ever had. Plus, it happened at work and someone drove me to the hospital in my car. Well, they all left and I had to try and drive with a patch on one eye. Two minutes of driving on the shoulder made me take off the patch till I got home. From then on I was a big fan of eye safety, you only have one set of them!! Glad to hear everything is o.k. take care of them eyes so you can keep working on that car!!

GOOD ADVICE!!!!!

I was a journeyman welder for 20+ years and instead of goggles or safety glasses with side shields, I prefered to wear the full face shield on a head band when grinding. It allowed me a greater field of vision and wasn't so uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.

I use a elcheapo welding mask without the dark lens and earplugs when I'm grinding under a car or when I'm laying on my side. This is from grinding under a car and having a big enough chunk of molten hot metal bounce into my ear canal, and almost burning a hole into my eardrum. It felt like it was what I would imagine a ice pick being shoved into my ear. And I've had slag from welding bounce behind me and back and do the same thing.

Very good words of wisdom Moparteen! I have lost about 50% of my vision and you don't know how much you need it until you don't have it.

Jack

been there, done that.(4 times) to be exact. the first time was the worst! they had to cut into my cornea to get the metal out. i had to wear a patch on my eye for over a week (like a pirate) it was a pain in the a$$.you think i would learn but no, three more times. they were not as bad, but still very uncomfortable. i feel for you brother. even still after 20 years of doin' this sh!+ (body & paint) work, i still don't learn. i wear safety glasses, but i know it should be goggles.

Safety First. The golden rule eh?

Just yesterday a nail got stuck in my nail gun so my buddy hit it with a punch and chunk of it flew up and stuck into his forehead!

Safety First. The golden rule eh?

Just yesterday a nail got stuck in my nail gun so my buddy hit it with a punch and chunk of it flew up and stuck into his forehead!

So did you call him a dumba$$? I know I would of, after of course making sure he was going to live. Get any pics?? Sorry I know that's sick but that's the way I roll.

Great reminder moparteen!
I've been making sure I wear eye protection lately when grinding on my car. I've also been wearing a dusk mask, as much as I hate them. It beats blowing grime and crap out of your nose for several hours afterwards. Nothing like gritty black snot wads after grinding for awhile.......

Being a Bodyman myself it happens all the time! Wear your goggles and when you take them off the crap falls from your head and into eyes!! Just a hazzard of the job. Wait till you are overhead welding and the cherries start falling. On you arms, in your face , hell they even fell in my ears. Oyeah! My Matco cutoff tool is reversable!

The safest thing to use is as has been stated is a full faceshield. it's the only thing I use. I wear safety goggles at work everyday and I'd love to be able to use a faceshield if it wouldn't be in the way all day.

Good thing you are OK... but I think that most of us have learned the hard way and still do mistakes, especially when we are in a hurry... what can we do, it is human nature I suppose...

Hey don't be such a wuss, Spock didn't use glasses or goggles when he fixed the warp core of the enterprise....That's Hard Core!!!..

No seriously, We ALL need these reminders from time to time. Like you said moparteen, we probably "have forgotten..." even safety, and the time you spend getting ready costs less than the time it costs to be hurt.

Thanks again for the reminder. :thumbup:

I couldn't decide whether to post in the threads where I saw disturbing pics, start a new thread, or just forget it.
Sometimes my comments are taken the wrong way. Anyway... Yesterday while clicking around I saw cars on rotiseries. Rolled out doors, turned sideways, wheels scotched with scrap lumber, etc..
You guys PLEASE beware of wind loading. Enough said :)

I feel ya dude. A few years back I got a piece of tiny Metal(triangular shard) in my eye and went through the same thing. I talked to an old timer and he said tear off a match out of a book of matches and use the freshly torn end of the match like a brush on your eye. It hurt a little but after I did it, I looked at the end of the match and that piece of metal was stuck right on the end of it. It worked like magic but now I wear protective lenses whenever they are needed.

i can ALWAYS feel if somethin falls in my eyes. as soon as i do i get up and go in the bathroom and grab a q-tip to get it out, works great every time! i know i should wear safty glasses/goggles, but personally they are uncomfterble to me

Im one of those guys that has the fancy auto dimming welding helmet but doesn't always use it....flash burn for 3 days friggin SUCKS!!!!!!!!

-
Back