EZ Wiring Help!

-

THE63DART

Reaction score
I have a 1963 dodge dart /6 170 base model. I have done tons of work to this car and my latest upgrade is the EZ wiring 21 circuit fuse box found on ebay for about $150. I am already finished with 80% of the wiring, but I have a few questions and really need some help. I have called ez wiring multiple times but can not reach anyone in the tech department. I have done research and studied all wiring diagrams possible. I know someone here will know the answers to my questions.

1. Ignition

I think I got this right, but really want to double check before I start my car. Here is how I wired the EZ harness to my Mopar ignition.

Mopar / EZ wiring
ACC = IGN SW ACC
ST = IGN SW START
BAT = IGN SW POWER
GRD = Ground (Used the black wire on the ignition part of harness)
IGN1 = IGN SW COIL
IGN2 = IGN SW IGN

2. Gauge Cluster

Ok so I traced out all the wires of the 1963 dodge dart wiring diagram. If I did this right BLACK is the gauge power wire?? I am use to red=hot and black=ground. The other question is how to wire the ignition switch? I am thinking to run a wire from the gauge cluster to the ignition switch terminal and splice it into the ignition wire already plugged into the ignition. Everything else on the cluster seemed to match up, and here is what I did

Mopar / EZ wiring

A.Tan = Right turn signal
B. Grey = Oil sending unit
C. Dark Blue = Ignition switch (Not sure where this should go)
D. Red = High beam
E. Light Green = Left turn signal
F. Orange = Ind lights or instrument panel lights
G. Violet = Temperature gauge
H. Light Blue = Gas gauge
J. Black = Gauge power (Please let me know if this is correct, or is black a ground?)

3. Light Switch

This confused me the most at first, however I think I figured most of it out. I need to confirm I hooked up the battery power B1 and B2 correct. Also I am not sure how to wire the H terminal. That should be where a wire goes from the switch to the Hi/Lo beam switch on the floor. The EZ wiring kit had a dimmer switch power already pre wired in the GM style harness. Just need to know if I should run a wire from the Mopar headlight switch to the floor switch? Or leave the H terminal empty on the Mopar switch, and connect the EZ wiring dimmer power wire to the floor switch? Here is how I wired my light switch

Mopar / EZ Wiring

D = Dome light return
I = Instrument panel light
H = Headlight power (Not sure how to wire this)
B1 = Headlight power? (Not sure if this is right)
B2 = Dimmer power? (Not sure if this is right either)
R = LF park
P = LT part

For D, I, R , and P I followed the mopar wiring diagram and compared to EZ wiring manual. They matched up, However I am not sure about H, B1, and B2. I know exactly what they are on the Mopar side, but don't know how to connect the EZ wiring. EZ harness has a RED Headlight Power wire, a light Blue or Pink (Im color blind) wire that reads Dimmer Power, and another Dimmer Power Wire pre wired into the GM style floor switch connector. Can someone please confirm where these wires go?

4. Wiper Switch

This should be the easiest, but want to be sure I get it right. I have a one speed Mopar wiper switch. At the top is P and there are two terminals, next down is B with one terminal, and the lowest is R another single terminal. I know one has to be power, and something has to go to my single wiper motor that has 2 terminals. Please help me figure this out!:study:

PLEASE POST the exact part no of the harness / kit you bought, and if possible, a link to the destructions if they are online

Also please post what you are using for a factory original diagram so we can both get on the same page. That is, a factory service manual, the diagram from MyMopar, or what?

EDIT.........for the moment, let's both use these from MyMopar so we both have the same reference on that side of the question.............

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1963/63DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1963/63DartB.jpg

GRD = Ground (Used the black wire on the ignition part of harness)
IGN1 = IGN SW COIL
IGN2 = IGN SW IGN

You talking about black in the EZ harness? No idea without seeing their destructions. Black is NOT NECESSARILY ground in car wiring ----------IGN 1 if you still have a ballast goes to one side of the ballast, then through the ballast and to coil. IGN 1 is "ignition run."

"IGN 2" is the bypass circuit. It essentially goes to coil +. It supplies ignition voltage during cranking. Most Mopar IGN switches, the IGN 1 goes dead during start, so IGN 2 is the only source of IGN power

2. Gauge Cluster

Ok so I traced out all the wires of the 1963 dodge dart wiring diagram. If I did this right BLACK is the gauge power wire??

Mopar / EZ wiring

A.Tan = Right turn signal
B. Grey = Oil sending unit
C. Dark Blue = Ignition switch (Not sure where this should go)
D. Red = High beam
E. Light Green = Left turn signal
F. Orange = Ind lights or instrument panel lights
G. Violet = Temperature gauge
H. Light Blue = Gas gauge
J. Black = Gauge power (Please let me know if this is correct, or is black a ground?)

3. Light Switch

This confused me the most at first, however I think I figured most of it out. I need to confirm I hooked up the battery power B1 and B2 correct. Also I am not sure how to wire the H terminal. That should be where a wire goes from the switch to the Hi/Lo beam switch on the floor. The EZ wiring kit had a dimmer switch power already pre wired in the GM style harness. Just need to know if I should run a wire from the Mopar headlight switch to the floor switch? Or leave the H terminal empty on the Mopar switch, and connect the EZ wiring dimmer power wire to the floor switch? Here is how I wired my light switch

Mopar / EZ Wiring

D = Dome light return
I = Instrument panel light
H = Headlight power (Not sure how to wire this)
B1 = Headlight power? (Not sure if this is right)
B2 = Dimmer power? (Not sure if this is right either)
R = LF park
P = LT part

For D, I, R , and P I followed the mopar wiring diagram and compared to EZ wiring manual. They matched up, However I am not sure about H, B1, and B2. I know exactly what they are on the Mopar side, but don't know how to connect the EZ wiring. EZ harness has a RED Headlight Power wire, a light Blue or Pink (Im color blind) wire that reads Dimmer Power, and another Dimmer Power Wire pre wired into the GM style floor switch connector. Can someone please confirm where these wires go?

Wire the HL switch as close to factory as possible

B1 originally was UNFUSED power (coming to the switch) ONLY for the headlights. If EZ does not have a dedicated wire, I'd provide one, maybe use, say, a 30A auto breaker. I would NOT fuse it. Last thing you want is for lights to go out on you at speed

B2 is (power coming to the switch) tail, park, and dash power. It is fused separate.

You have H correct. It should go to the proper terminal of the dimmer switch.

R was originally for Rear tail lights, P was originally for front Park lamps. You must make a decision "Do you want" the park lights to stay on with headlights? If so, wire both tail and park off the R terminal and leave the P unconnected

Now originally the instrument circuit was a "bit of a trick." The dash dimmer in the switch receives power FROM the tail fuse. The output of the dash dimmer then originally went TO the instrument fuse. From that fuse, all dash dimmer controlled power went out on orange wiring

4. Wiper Switch

This should be the easiest, but want to be sure I get it right. I have a one speed Mopar wiper switch. At the top is P and there are two terminals, next down is B with one terminal, and the lowest is R another single terminal. I know one has to be power, and something has to go to my single wiper motor that has 2 terminals. Please help me figure this out!:study:

Can you post a diagram of this? EDIT. If you download the 63 CHRYSLER manual at MyMopar, it seems to show this single speed deal. P would be "hot" at all times from the battery. B would be "switched" from the fuse panel accessory

The other two would go to your motor

I'll add to all this as I figure this out. Some of it "would be handy" to have the EZ wiring, and other parts I need to look at the '65 original wiring, IE the wiper question

RE wipers. Without seeing this "in person" I'm not sure. This is out of that 63 Chrysler manual. They are trying to show both the variable speed and single speed. The only thing they show on the "motor end" is the two connectors

The P terminal should be a hot wire coming off your new fuse panel, that is hot with key OFF to make them park

The B terminal comes off the fuse panel from an accessory fuse

Attachments

• singlesw.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 925
  • motor.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 711
ALSO take a look at the 65 Plymouth manual, which seems to have the same wiring

Attachments

• wiperS.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 689
  • wiperv.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,211
Also, tell me if this manual is "same as yours." if you cannot find a download link

[ame]http://home.comcast.net/~avolow/Charger/ez%20instr.pdf[/ame]

Thanks for the Info 67Dart273! I now have a better idea of what I need to accomplish.

Heres the harness:
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-Wiring-21-circuit-wiring-harness-Painless-to-Install-/311032773826?pt=US_Wire_Harnesses&hash=item486aff7cc2"]EZ Wiring 21 Circuit Wiring Harness Painless to Install | eBay[/ame]

Yes this is the Mopar diagram I am using:

And you found the exact same EZ wiring instructions I have:
[ame]http://home.comcast.net/~avolow/Charger/ez%20instr.pdf[/ame]

OK so now I think I may need to adjust my Ignition wiring. Should I switch ING1 and IGN2? Think I got these backwards. I used the black wire in the harness as a ground simply because there were 6 terminals on ignition and 6 wires on the harness. I may need to change this

The headlight switch seems to be wired right. Take a look at the EZ manual, there are 2 pages with headlight wiring schematics. I just need to decide if I want to use P unconnected and use R for lights. Once everything is wired I will test and see what looks better

As for the wiper the 63 Chrysler manual pic is exactly what I have. The EZ harness only has 1 wire labeled wiper power. Still not sure about this one, but I know what P and B are now.

Last but not least can anyone tell me if the black wire (A) on gauge cluster is gauge power?
And where should I connect the Ignition switch (C) wire?

I will do some more research tomorrow. Thanks for the info

Thanks for the Info 67Dart273! I now have a better idea of what I need to accomplish.

Heres the harness:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EZ-Wiring-2...3826?pt=US_Wire_Harnesses&hash=item486aff7cc2

Yes this is the Mopar diagram I am using:

And you found the exact same EZ wiring instructions I have:
http://home.comcast.net/~avolow/Charger/ez instr.pdf

OK so now I think I may need to adjust my Ignition wiring. Should I switch ING1 and IGN2? Think I got these backwards. I used the black wire in the harness as a ground simply because there were 6 terminals on ignition and 6 wires on the harness. I may need to change this

The headlight switch seems to be wired right. Take a look at the EZ manual, there are 2 pages with headlight wiring schematics. I just need to decide if I want to use P unconnected and use R for lights. Once everything is wired I will test and see what looks better

As for the wiper the 63 Chrysler manual pic is exactly what I have. The EZ harness only has 1 wire labeled wiper power. Still not sure about this one, but I know what P and B are now.

Last but not least can anyone tell me if the black wire (A) on gauge cluster is gauge power?

I will do some more research tomorrow. Thanks for the info
:???:
I went thru this a couple of yrs ago, long enough to forget most of it. I wire mine like a chev becaquse that`s what e z is patterend after. just wired it in to good mopar acces-switches and such. oyu both sound to me like you know more about it than I do! call ez and ask for Sean w/ your questions, he`s hard to get a hold of, but he is brilliant at this stuff---bob

IGN 1 is "run" and is what goes to the "key side" of the ballast

IGN 2 is only in "start" and goes to coil+

From what you described earlier, I'm not so sure.

They may not have a specific hot line labled for the "P" park. You might have to rob this off another fuse, but it needs to be hot, IE not through the IGN switch

You need to be specific, LOL. You are looking at the original diagram, I guess. Can you post a good clear photo of the rear of your cluster? You can just LOOK at it and tell where stuff goes

A.........I show that as TAN?

C.........I show that as DARK BLUE?

Not sure we are on the same page.

A, TAN, is a directional signal indicator on the dash. It's wired with the tan wire out of your signal switch

C, DARK BLUE, comes off the IGN 1 (run) terminal of the switch

Black in a harness would almost never be a ground

You need to specify exactly what you are looking at for a diagram, what page if possible, better would be to post a relevant crop

IGN 1 is "run" and is what goes to the "key side" of the ballast

IGN 2 is only in "start" and goes to coil+

From what you described earlier, I'm not so sure.

They may not have a specific hot line labled for the "P" park. You might have to rob this off another fuse, but it needs to be hot, IE not through the IGN switch

You need to be specific, LOL. You are looking at the original diagram, I guess. Can you post a good clear photo of the rear of your cluster? You can just LOOK at it and tell where stuff goes

A.........I show that as TAN?

C.........I show that as DARK BLUE?

Not sure we are on the same page.

A, TAN, is a directional signal indicator on the dash. It's wired with the tan wire out of your signal switch

C, DARK BLUE, comes off the IGN 1 (run) terminal of the switch

Black in a harness would almost never be a ground

You need to specify exactly what you are looking at for a diagram, what page if possible, better would be to post a relevant crop

Opps sorry I was referring to the 63 Mopar diagram. I accidentally put A but really meant J which is the black wire.

I will get things cleared up as I am awaiting Sean from EZ to call me back. Will let you know what he says. 67Dart everything you told seems right so I should have this figured out soon. Once I do get the proper wiring I will post it so anyone can use it as a guide.

Also I can't take pictures anymore as I installed the gauge cluster back to dash. I had everything ripped out and I painted the dash and plastic trim. It came out nice!!

meant J which is the black wire. I!

"J" is switched 12V "accessory" coming off the ignition switch. I'm not sure I'd do it that way. Let's say you are parked, listening to the radio. Do you really want the gauges on in accessory?

In fact that's something to think about. What do you want on accessory?

I have some / most of the switched loads on relays

You for sure want wipers, but do you want signals? Maybe. Heater motor? That's the way the factory did it.

But you don't want to overload the switch. I have no idea how "big" the ignition contacts are compared to accessary.

Remember, these switches are old, and you cannot buy "good" ones anymore.

"J" is switched 12V "accessory" coming off the ignition switch. I'm not sure I'd do it that way. Let's say you are parked, listening to the radio. Do you really want the gauges on in accessory?

In fact that's something to think about. What do you want on accessory?

I have some / most of the switched loads on relays

You for sure want wipers, but do you want signals? Maybe. Heater motor? That's the way the factory did it.

But you don't want to overload the switch. I have no idea how "big" the ignition contacts are compared to accessary.

Remember, these switches are old, and you cannot buy "good" ones anymore.

Thank you for clearing this up! The EZ harness runs wires to all my accessories so I may not have to use the black (J) outlet on my gauge cluster.

Talked to sean at EZ and heres what he told me.

Ignition wiring

Mopar ignition / EZ wires

Acc = SW ACC
ST = SW START
GRD = Dont need to use this terminal
BAT = SW POWER
IGN1 = SW ING + SW COIL (splice these two wires together)
IGN2 = Make a jumper wire form IGN1

Headlight switch

Mopar switch / EZ wires

D = Dome return
I = Instrument panel lights
H = Dimmer Power
B1 = Headlight power
B2 = I was told to test lights with B1 plugged first and I may have to make a jumper B1 to B2
R = LF park
P = LT park

So the H terminal on my Mopar switch will get power from the EZ harness wire labeled Dimmer Power. The prewired EZ GM style floor switch harness has the corresponding Dimmer Power wire. One Dimmer Power wire goes to the dash switch and the second Dimmer Power wire to the floor switch.

For the wiper switch I was recommended to connect the EZ wire called wiper power to both hot terminals.

Lastly I was told That the EZ wire labeled gauge power should connect to my Mopar gauge cluster wire (C) dark blue which is the Ignition Switch terminal. So I am thinking I don't even need to use the (J) black switched 12v accessory wire because the EZ harness covers all my accessories.

I plan to finish my wiring this weekend and will post my results. Hopefully no fires or sparks:eek:ops:

Again 67DART237 I appreciate your help! Cant wait to get my /6 on the road again :burnout:

Personally I think these guys are full of crap. Either that or the pdf is not complete

You say they told you to hook IGN1 and IGN2 together.........you are not using a ballast resistor?

Headlights hook to "dimmer power?" That doesn't make sense according to the page labled "GM headlight switch." On that, "headlight power" is labled "headlight power" red / black

This whole thing seems poorly documented to me. Is there diagrams / manual besides the pdf I was referring to? Nowhere does it list the outputs and colors of the fuse panel, or for that matter, any of the rest of the harness

Personally I think these guys are full of crap. Either that or the pdf is not complete

You say they told you to hook IGN1 and IGN2 together.........you are not using a ballast resistor?

Headlights hook to "dimmer power?" That doesn't make sense according to the page labled "GM headlight switch." On that, "headlight power" is labled "headlight power" red / black

This whole thing seems poorly documented to me. Is there diagrams / manual besides the pdf I was referring to? Nowhere does it list the outputs and colors of the fuse panel, or for that matter, any of the rest of the harness

Yeah I fully agree. It was extremely hard to reach a tech and understand the fine print in the manual.

I am not using a ballast resistor. I have a MSD box and pertronix electronic ignition already installed and the ballast resistor has been bypassed. I forgot to mention this earlier. Hopefully the Ignition wiring they recommended works.

The headlight switch seemed to makes sense to me, but this is the first car I have ever rewired so I am still new to this and could be wrong.

The whole thing is poorly documented. And the PDF you have is the only manual provided and it sucks. The EZ harness is meant for GM style wiring. The real challenge is to convert it to match up with Mopar. However I have read many posts of successful EZ wiring in many different Mopar cars so this should work. My car is a 63 Dart base model 170 /6 so its as basic as it gets.

If all fails I can always rewire the Mopar style harness. I wish someone who has already rewired their car with an EZ harness could confirm the correct wiring.

If I were you before I got too far along in this, I'd document this yourself.

ID each wire by color or whatever markings and follow it to it's source. If it goes to the fuse panel, you should be able to look at the back of the panel and figure out where what goes.

This info should be in the book.

Now that you've mentioned MSD the ignition wiring makes sense. You jumper IGN1 and IGN2 together, and they feed the small red on the MSD. Read the MSD destructions. The big red and big black go to a "hot" ground and battery source. I don't remember if MSD fuses them, probably not

Check everything out as you go. "My old trick" is to hook up the battery to test, but you can protect the harness from meltage. Get yourself the biggest 12V lamp you can find........a headlamp works good. When you hook up "to test" wire the headlamp in series with the battery ground lead. If you get a short, all that happens is that it lights up the headlight.

If I were you before I got too far along in this, I'd document this yourself.

ID each wire by color or whatever markings and follow it to it's source. If it goes to the fuse panel, you should be able to look at the back of the panel and figure out where what goes.

This info should be in the book.

Now that you've mentioned MSD the ignition wiring makes sense. You jumper IGN1 and IGN2 together, and they feed the small red on the MSD. Read the MSD destructions. The big red and big black go to a "hot" ground and battery source. I don't remember if MSD fuses them, probably not

Check everything out as you go. "My old trick" is to hook up the battery to test, but you can protect the harness from meltage. Get yourself the biggest 12V lamp you can find........a headlamp works good. When you hook up "to test" wire the headlamp in series with the battery ground lead. If you get a short, all that happens is that it lights up the headlight.

Will do! Thanks for the tips. My plan it to get everything connected and test this weekend. I will let you know how it goes

Here are the results of my EZ Wiring: Success!

My car started right up with almost no problems! The only issue I have is 1 bad bulb in the gas gauge and the left turn blinker bulb is now out too. Where can I find new gauge cluster bulbs?

Everything else works perfect, but I still need to hook up the wiper switch. Overall I am very happy with the EZ harness. My car starts easier than ever and runs so much smoother. Its truly a night and day difference!

-
Back