F-Body Police brakes on an A-body

-

Stacked360

Reaction score
I've been told that the Police package Volare brakes will bolt up to disc brake A-Body spindles...has anyone else heard of doing this?

Yup. I'm gonna use some 88 Fury cop car brakes on my 63 dart. Same stuff as the volare. Lots of folks have done it. You need the 73'76 upper control arms and the same year lower ball joints.

What is the difference between normal calipers and the police ones? Also, difference in rotors?

What is the difference between normal calipers and the police ones? Also, difference in rotors?

Now THAT, I don't know. If I gotta guess, I would say rotor diameter and caliper piston diameter.

you need the F body caliper adapter brackets and rotors too. you end up with larger rotors that i'm not sure if they fit in 14" wheels.
and that's the 73' up spindles.
question is, do you need the larger brakes. are you getting brake fade with what you have? are you running enough tire to make use of the larger brakes? is it worth the extra unsprung weight?

They fit 14s. What difference does it make about the need? If the brakes are there and available, use them. The A body stuff is gettin harder and harder to find every day. Since the F, M and J brakes interchange easily and work well, use um.

So how do you identify these? Since you are calling them "police" I assume they did not come on all these cars

I identified mine because I pulled them off of a sho nuff cop car. I don't know how otherwise.

Checked with my bud at the stealership,..Late 80's Cop brakes are 11', they will fit and work, but you'll have to change or swap the Master Cylinder as well as the proportioning valve. I did this on my 90 Dakota, kinda nice having bigger brakes when towing.

They fit 14s.
good deal, nice to know

What difference does it make about the need? If the brakes are there and available, use them. The A body stuff is gettin harder and harder to find every day. Since the F, M and J brakes interchange easily and work well, use um.
if someone is removing perfectly good, working brakes just because they got a bigger set, and they don't know what the trade off's are, that's not cool.
we didn't use to have this internet thing. (thanks Al). the only way we learned was bench racing, magazines and doing it ourselves. when you've wrenched cars for a long time, you think about the time and money you and your buddies spent trying to go faster, handle better or brake shorter, and realize how much of it was done with minimal understanding of why something works, or didn't :( . it can be sad watching people, (and i don't have any idea of Stacked360's situation), that don't have a lot of money, spend it on things that may not end up doing all they want. if a guy want's bigger brakes, have at it, but maybe he'd like to go in knowing if it's worth it.

...but you'll have to change or swap the Master Cylinder as well as the proportioning valve.
you don't "have to" change them. they may not feel exactly the same as they would with the matched parts, but that doesn't mean they won't work just fine. you might end up with higher or lower peddle effort and/or longer or shorter peddle stroke. that may or may not be a good thing, depends on the driver

you don't "have to" change them. they may not feel exactly the same as they would with the matched parts, but that doesn't mean they won't work just fine. you might end up with higher or lower peddle effort and/or longer or shorter peddle stroke. that may or may not be a good thing, depends on the driver

Precisely,...But I had the car to part out, and I like a high hard pedal,...I did It cause I got tired of puttin rotors on the truck after towing my little Omni's and Horizon up and down the hills here.

If you have a 1973 or newer A body car with disc brakes then there is no point in changing over to FMJ brakes. Same basic stuff. The only brake package that would be worth changing to would be the 11.75 inch rotors from a 1976 or newer B body car.

There isn't really a "police" brake package for Mopar cars. The police got the same brakes that Grandma got.

Precisely,...But I had the car to part out, and I like a high hard pedal,...I did It cause I got tired of puttin rotors on the truck after towing my little Omni's and Horizon up and down the hills here.

Did you really just say you like it high and hard? Damn. Just damn. lol

NAPA lists a Police/Taxi specific caliper, and a normal caliper. But only one Rotor for that style.

They probably have a different piston size or are metal pistons instead of phenolic.

-
Back