FABO Member Map

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way to view the map in a bigger window (full screen)?

Open the link, then click on CudaChick's name under her avatar, then on the next page, click on the link by her name that says "Cudachick1968's places" . Then it opens larger with a zoom bar in the upper right and you can zoom in and out at full screen.

Oh, I'm in BTW.

I'm on there. Ya'll can find me in Ohio. Pete

You need lots of patience to enter this map on dial-up ......but I'm there, in Red Deer Ab. Someone had remarked how there were so many from the North - you should remember that the population of California alone, is bigger than the entire population of Canada..............
Neat idea, glad to be here - Thank you
Daryl

Hey Leanna-

I tried to get myself on the map, and found this:

Please take the time right now to export any maps you cannot live without. You can still login and navigate the site to find your map pages. For the long version of this story, news and updates, and info on how to access data, follow @platialmaps or check out platial.typepad.com...

which leads to...
March 01, 2010

A Letter To Our Mappers

Dear Mappers,
Since 2005, Platial has worked to pave the way for a world which can be viewed from the eyes of its citizens, "The People's Atlas". To date, between Platial and Frappr, over 5MM maps have been created. Our members maps are visible on over 500,000 sites around the web and each one of them allows content to be added directly.
Our members have amassed a significant amount of geo-data and brought social mapping to the web at large. The Platial Nearby iPhone application has been downloaded 450,000 times! We are retiring the site because we just can't afford to keep it up any longer. The team has been volunteering for 18 months. However, it will morph into something more extraordinary, more efficient and more in line with the possibilities and technology of 2010 and beyond. We don't have the full picture yet, but we will let you know once we have a realistic picture.

Just a heads up...

Aw crap!

Been a really long and busy day ... I'll check this out in depth later when I have a brain and see what's up.

Thank you for the alert!

After all that work everybody did .....

Social Mapping Startup Platial Finds Its Way To The Deadpool
14 Comments
Share8Buzz it by Leena Rao on Mar 1, 2010
As Google Maps extends its dominance in the social mapping world, mapping startups are having trouble competing. Platial, a Kleiner Perkins-backed social mapping startup, is heading to the deadpool.

Platial, “the people’s atlas,” allowed users to make and share their own maps. Using Google Maps API, Platial let anyone put locations markers over any point on the map they’ve visited and then annotate it with pictures and comments. You could easily embed and share your maps on other sites. In 2007, Platial acquired a competitor in the social mapping space, Frappr. In the blog post announcing Platial’s demise, it wasn’t clear what the exact reason was for the site to close its doors but the startup said it would be updating its blog with details about the shutdown in the near future.

Platial received backing from many notable investors and venture funds. They took $800,000 in angel funding in October 2005 from Kleiner Perkins; Byers, Omidyar Network, Ram Shriram, Georges Harik, Jack Dangermon, and Ron Conway. In February 2007, they raised an additional $2.6 million from Keynote Ventures, with participation from most of the previous investors. We’ve added the startup the deadpool.

The angry villagers with flaming torches are gathering on the east end of town to storm the Platial offices in revolt.

Guess it's time to check out Google maps??

Don't get me started with Kleiner-Perkins! They funded our first round (at one of the start-ups I was with years back). They were also supposed to fund the second round but pulled out at the very last minute which ended up with us losing a chance to be funded by Sequoia (who ended up funding a competitor of ours). Rat ba*tards!

So Ben, I guess you'll be joining me and the other angry villagers then. :-D Lemme know if I need to bring extra torches.

How come one of you network guru's hasn't figured this interactive map thing out yet? I understand something went down the proverbial whirlpool.

It WAS a great idea! IMHO it's still a great idea.

LCjeff

How come one of you network guru's hasn't figured this interactive map thing out yet? I understand something went down the proverbial whirlpool.
It WAS a great idea! IMHO it's still a great idea.

I am no network guru Jeff so I am just waiting on the sidelines as well. I do agree that it was a cool little feature though.

Jeff, it had nothing to do with guru-ness on anybody's part. Frappr/Palatial went out of business.

On my own part, I'd say it would've been nice if a blurb on their home page had alerted new members to the fact it wouldn't be there in couple months. I feel especially awful basically wasting everybody's time inviting them to join the map ... and then WHAM! it's gone. In a couple months' time, FABO had one of the biggest maps on their whole site.

I've looked a couple times for other interactive mapping programs on the internet but haven't found anything yet. Anybody else wanna give it a try?

Jeff, it had nothing to do with guru-ness on anybody's part. Frappr/Palatial went out of business.

On my own part, I'd say it would've been nice if a blurb on their home page had alerted new members to the fact it wouldn't be there in couple months. inviting them to join the map ... and then WHAM! it's gone. In a couple months' time, FABO had one of the biggest maps on their whole site.

I've looked a couple times for other interactive mapping programs on the internet but haven't found anything yet. Anybody else wanna give it a try?

Leanna,I do not want to hear ony more of this young lady(I feel especially awful basically wasting everybody's time).:angry7:What you did and what you have done in the short time that I have been here is amazing. I now have a big group of new friends thanks to you and I am sure we will be friends for a long time to come.I could never have done that on my own.Who knows how many other people you have helped out with all your efforts on FABO.I for one can't tell you how much I appreciate what you have done for me as a result of this "map" project,not to mention your friendship.Thank you CudaChicky.8)

P.S. read my signature

Dave, it's pretty rare but I'm at a loss for words after reading that. Without a doubt one of the nicest things anybody has ever typed about me.

Sincerely, thank you. You made my day! :-D (Aw hell, you made my whole month!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back