fact or fiction 360 small block

-

robert 68 cuda

Reaction score
any ways a guy comes into the shop saying he has a 360 40over 10/1 comp wouldent tell me his cam and sayed he has some cast heads and clames he makeing 510hp on the dyno. Im wondering if this is a tall possable, i know with a *** load of compression you could pull it off he told me there some jap head castings im thinking bull but iv been wrong before what you guys think??:blob:

It is possible but more info would be needed to determine the amount of BS he is throwin.

Never heard of a head that matches that description lol but I guarantee that hp level can be done with a 360 and iron heads, stock crank too, I would put rods in one if I was gona do it tho lol those don't seem to last long around low 11's

side note: dusted72 thank you very much for being in Iraq.

Alot wold depend on the cam and head combo. The 10-1 is light for the goal but do-able.

I don't think so, doubt if it will rev high enough and 10 to 1 compression isn't going to work--not in the real world...

but that engine in a 3,000 lb car could hold its own against bmw v10 which they claim is 500 hp

It's impossible because there are no "Jap" castings for the small block.

after market heads with unknown work done to them
an unknown cam with unknown specs
dynamic compression ratio of 10:1
=1.41 HP per cube? yea it's "possible"
even without NOS or forced induction

My walk behind lawn mower made 510hp on the dyno. I shaved the head and added a trick spark-plug.

..............See how easy it is to make up a story.

i just figured this guy is full of bull, but would make a good topic like im running a 426 strocker i figure its in the 500hp mark and iv got a lot of money in it and not on cast heads and its 11/1 comp eddy heads and 600 lift but just dont see how they are going to run pump fule and make thoughs kinda numbers.

There's a lot of variables there that aren't accounted for-cam, head porting and flow rate, etc. But, I agree that with a 360 it can be done with iron heads and 10:1 compression.

If you haven't seen this before, check out example #9...

http://www.mopar1.us/dyno.html

Package nine:
360 rebuilt with 10:1 compression flat top cast pistons, original crank turned .010"/.010", rebuilt factory rods. Factory windage tray installed. 2.02" heads with competition valve job and ported to flow 260 cfm. Edelbrock RPM intake, port/gasket matched. Holley H.P. 750 (.076" front, .080" rear jets). Large 1 3/4" primary tube headers. Comp Cams 305AH-8 camshaft with .525"/.540" lift and 305/312 degree advertised duration, 253/260 degrees @ .050", 110 lsa, installed at 108 intake centerline. This motor is a brute for a street car and would only be considered a weekend blaster.
495 h.p. @ 6,000 rpm
500 lbs. of torque @ 4,500 rpm

15 hp isn't a big stretch, just going from one dyno to another could easily make up that difference. Now, how long are those cast pistons and factory rods going to last? I'm going to guess not all that long. But that doesn't mean it can't be done.

With the new RHS X-heads you can flow over 260 cfm without issue, and they're iron. Of course none of this means the guy is telling the truth, just that its possible to get 500 hp out of a 10:1 iron headed 360.

I want some of what he's drinking or smoking!!!Now that's the way to blow smoke up someones tail pipe. Come on if he can't say it than it's not making what he thinks he read in a CHEVY magazine!!!

well he may well have rhs his friend was just in and said he droped 10,grand on this engin so im thinking she could have what he clames but we all now how people bullchit.

My 363 has stock rods, stock crank and hyper pistons in it. Been running it for 15 years. Granted the ring seal is gone and it's worn out but it's taken 7000-7500 everytime it's been out, and it's been out a lot of times.

well i think im going to have invest in some better header i think the new tti are going to work good i have 1/5/8 right know im wondering if 1/7/8 would inprove it any???

ya i ran out of money when i did it and wanted to run her but ya im thinking im leaving a lot of hp in the headers? what size would you recomend please keep in mind i dont want to kut my fenderwells its a 68 cuda ??

I've run 1 7/8 and 2" on my 360 with out much difference. I would think you could use 1 7/8 or an 1 3/4 no problem. But you need to retune after that. Another option would be an 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 step header.

We make our own unless it's just a cheapy set for a street car. You can buy flanges, J bends and collectors from Schoenfeld or Stahl. Can you gas weld or mig weld?

well im not my brother he is a welder fab man so ya it could be done.
and thanks for your time and input.:prayer:

any ways a guy comes into the shop saying he has a 360 40over 10/1 comp wouldent tell me his cam and sayed he has some cast heads and clames he makeing 510hp on the dyno. Im wondering if this is a tall possable, i know with a *** load of compression you could pull it off he told me there some jap head castings im thinking bull but iv been wrong before what you guys think??:blob:

.040 over 360 with 10.1 compression and cast iron heads making 510 hp on dyno...

a Good NHRA Super Stock 360 will do that...with a thermoquad too....in fact most SS 360 are around 9 to 1 compression...

I know a Stock Eliminator 360 in a 74 Dart that make 470 Hp on the dyno...8.5 compressioon 1.88 intake vavles ..cast iron intake...and thermoquad...

Only Jap casting I would run is a newer Cal-Custom Valve cover....

cast head may = W2... easy pickens...

The cam and heads are key to making power. high 240-low 250 at .050 and 575-600 lift with decent flowing heads it's certainly possible. If he said he was doing it with a XE268H... no way... LOL

1 7/8" headers on a 500hp sb = waste of money! The step headers are more than capable of handling that engine.

Easy if you dont mind whats required to make work good and it's manners/rpm band, even with stock pos heads, just port'em...they go over 260-270cfm w/2.02, of corse add a roller...

nothing new really

-
Back