Factory 3 speed Demon 340

-

hux340

Reaction score
I've been told the 1971 H coded Demons totaled 10,098 & out of that only 998 were 3 speeds. Is this correct? Because I own one going off my fender tag. Has had a 4 speed conversion I'm guessing when the resto was done back in 09. I know my car has the incorrect Dodge badge on the bonnet. I just need to find the correct badge. Can anyone help me.?

unspecified.jpg

3unspecified.jpg

7unspecified.jpg

23unspecified.jpg

10unspecified.jpg

18unspecified.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone else out there got or seen a three speed Demon of late?

Code D13. The three speed was the standard transmission on 1971 Duster/Demon. The 4 speed, and 727 Auto on column and floor shifted were extra cost. That being said, the three speed even though it was standard is more rare on 340 cars. The exact number I do not know. I know of a 1971 Duster 340 3 speed car in my town.

My Govier book has the same numbers

I do not recall there being any script at all on my Sizzler "bonnet", but that was over 40 years ago. I think my Swinger 340 might have had that script, but that was 47 years ago, I always thought it looked out of place there. As if anybody needed help figuring out what they were looking at, when seeing the best-looking front end Chrysler ever designed! And then they mess it up with that little out-of-place script.
Nice car

Last edited:
My Govier book has the same numbers

I do not recall there being any script at all on my "bonnet", but that was over 40 years ago. I think my Swinger 340 might have had that script, but that was 47 years ago
Nice car
From what I can gather the trunk DODGE badge is the same as the one for the bonnet which goes at the front drivers side of the bonnet.

7unspecified.jpg

Mine had the same Dodge badge on the hood. Owner prior to me had repainted car and left badge in glovebox. Yes it is the original hood that was born with the car.

I believe 70 and 71 had them. My Swinger is the same.

That script on the hood is pre 1971.
If yours is a very early build '71 car, it might have come from the factory that way, but you never know with Dodge, they would use what was available at the time that the car was built........
Most likely, it is a hood off a '70 340 Swinger that was replaced some time in it's life for whatever reason.
Did the car come with the scoops from the factory?
The 340 emblems on the scoops are a '70 only item which points to me that the hood was originally from a '70, as well as the center script.
The blacked out bezels on the front of the scoops are correct for a '71 though.........
I also noticed that on the bottom of your dash, you have the reverse light.
That is a 4 speed only thing, so someone must have added it.
3 speed std. cars and automatics didn't get it.

As far as 3 speed floor shift 340 Demons go, they are pretty rare, but i used to have one.
I sold it to a friend of mine years back, it needed a full resto, but he still has it and it is slowly getting done.
It is pretty plain jane as far as options go, but it is a FC7 Plum Crazy Purple car, without the scoops and just a flat hood.
It also was an early in the model year build car, with the proper script on the hood for a '71 which is the same as the one on your trunk lid, just on the driver's side.
I hope this helps,
Tom.

way back in the 90'si bought a rust free 72 cuda 340 3 speed car in La. . I gave $900 for it complete and could not get my $ back out of it backhome in Missouri! ha rare yes....... had buddy that bought a new 70 383 roadrunner, his dad made him order it with a 3 speed! h a again. he changed it over to a 4 speed but is dad never knew!!!! yes that 3 speed is cool!

My old 70 duster 340 was a 3 speed stick .
Member on here has it .
It was changed to a 4 speed .

That script on the hood is pre 1971.
If yours is a very early build '71 car, it might have come from the factory that way, but you never know with Dodge, they would use what was available at the time that the car was built........
Most likely, it is a hood off a '70 340 Swinger that was replaced some time in it's life for whatever reason.
Did the car come with the scoops from the factory?
The 340 emblems on the scoops are a '70 only item which points to me that the hood was originally from a '70, as well as the center script.
The blacked out bezels on the front of the scoops are correct for a '71 though.........
I also noticed that on the bottom of your dash, you have the reverse light.
That is a 4 speed only thing, so someone must have added it.
3 speed std. cars and automatics didn't get it.

As far as 3 speed floor shift 340 Demons go, they are pretty rare, but i used to have one.
I sold it to a friend of mine years back, it needed a full resto, but he still has it and it is slowly getting done.
It is pretty plain jane as far as options go, but it is a FC7 Plum Crazy Purple car, without the scoops and just a flat hood.
It also was an early in the model year build car, with the proper script on the hood for a '71 which is the same as the one on your trunk lid, just on the driver's side.
I hope this helps,
Tom.

Thanks for the info Tom, well done. As not many off these Demons, (especially 340 ones) are in AUS all info is worth a lot.
The sticker inside my door says 9/70 with the last digits of the vin saying 160098. I'm not sure if this means it's an early build or not?
Although my car is genuine I think it was a H code with very little options, (like your friends) & when they restored the car they did the bonnet how they wanted it. I prefer it this way as it look heaps tough & like I said as not many people know of these cars here I can sort of get away with it. No ones even picked up from the tag no's that it's a 3 speed. What are the codes on the fender tag for factory scoops? Also does a blacked out bonnet & hood pins have codes as well?

P.S. What build date/vin is your friends. Curious to see how close it is to mine?

Cheers
Glenn.

According to Govier there were 10,089 71 Demon H-codes built, 7981 for USA sales. Namely;2051 4-speeds ,4932 autos, and 998 A230s.

Thanks for the info Tom, well done. As not many off these Demons, (especially 340 ones) are in AUS all info is worth a lot.
The sticker inside my door says 9/70 with the last digits of the vin saying 160098. I'm not sure if this means it's an early build or not?
Although my car is genuine I think it was a H code with very little options, (like your friends) & when they restored the car they did the bonnet how they wanted it. I prefer it this way as it look heaps tough & like I said as not many people know of these cars here I can sort of get away with it. No ones even picked up from the tag no's that it's a 3 speed. What are the codes on the fender tag for factory scoops? Also does a blacked out bonnet & hood pins have codes as well?

P.S. What build date/vin is your friends. Curious to see how close it is to mine?

Cheers
Glenn.
The scheduled build date on this car is August 21, 1970. (821)
The V.I.N. is LM29H1B110XXX
Fender tag:

N41 N42 R11 V6W V8W EN1
FC7 C G33 L31 M21 M43
FC7 M1XX TX9 821 834213
E55 D13 LM 29 H1B 110XXX

I think the code on the fender tag for scoops is J54 (Sport Hood) and the hood black out is V24, but I'm not completely sure...........

Anyone else out there got or seen a three speed Demon of late?

I did not realize there were breakdown numbers for the three speed. Does anyone know how many 1971 Duster 340's had the three speed?

I own a 1972 340 Demon 3 speed car. I think there were 1,465 340 3 speed Demons made in 1972. It is a very rough car needing a complete restoration (rusty and 340 long gone) and needs everything. It's an FE5 rallye red car with black vinyl top and side stripes/factory snorkel style scoop. Basic car I suppose.

Beautiful car you have!!

I am still hoping to see the numbers for 1970 Valiant 4-doors with D13.

So far, I have only seen one with a /6 & mine with a 318 but there must to be more out there somewhere?

D13.JPG

my 72 Demon 340 was born with a 3spd also...it was also ordered with the sizzler hood stripe kit and hood scoops. Sizzlers were 318 cars.
demonic.jpg

-
Back