Factory 4 sp. console w/ new 6 sp trans

-
Does anyone know if a factory console is still usable with a new 6speed manual?

Direct from SilverSport web page.

SILVER SPORT TRANSMISSIONS PERFECTFIT KIT OVERVIEW​

Tremec Magnum Kit Components

1. Tremec Magnum 6 Speed Double Overdrive
    • PerfectFit Shifter position fits inside the factory console
    • 700 torque capacity wide or close ratio.
    • Friction Lined Synchronizer Blocker Rings come standard for easy high RPM shifts
    • Full 12 month warranty with unlimited technical support, 24 month installation window
    • Optional Add the Front Shift Kit for bench seat clearance

I am in the process of swapping in a T56 Magnum Silver Sport kit with the goal of a factory 4 spd console look. Here I have the ToddRod cross member welded in with the console sitting on the factory console brackets. My car was originally a auto trans. I will have to cut/weld the base of the reproduction shifter handle to get it to bolt to the T56. I also plan to buy an American Powertrain White Lightning shifter with an offset to move shifter forward. So details to be figure out when I get to that point. I have a thread over on Member Restoration section.

Console test fit  2.jpg

Console test fit  3.jpg

Console test fit  4.jpg

Console test fit 1.jpg

Console Shifter 1.jpg

I am in the process of swapping in a T56 Magnum Silver Sport kit with the goal of a factory 4 spd console look. Here I have the ToddRod cross member welded in with the console sitting on the factory console brackets. My car was originally a auto trans. I will have to cut/weld the base of the reproduction shifter handle to get it to bolt to the T56. I also plan to buy an American Powertrain White Lightning shifter with an offset to move shifter forward. So details to be figure out when I get to that point. I have a thread over on Member Restoration section.

View attachment 1716079565

View attachment 1716079566

View attachment 1716079567

View attachment 1716079568

View attachment 1716079569
question: does the console come even remotely close to fitting over the crossmember? i know you don't have the floor in yet, but i was just wondering if you had an idea.

i know, i know, hold your horses and all that. i'm sub'd to the build thread too

question: does the console come even remotely close to fitting over the crossmember? i know you don't have the floor in yet, but i was just wondering if you had an idea.

i know, i know, hold your horses and all that. i'm sub'd to the build thread too
I believe the base of the console has to be trimmed on passenger's side to clear the cross member to get it to sit exactly in its original location. However the trimming of the console base would be hidden by the carpet that wraps around the console. Another option is to have the console sit slightly higher then original which is what most people do and only the car owner really knows. But I will be working to get console back in factory location with factory console shift handle thats my goal.

Console test fit  area to cut.jpg

I have a T56 magnum in my Duster with the ToddRon crossmember and run a console. The console is not in that factory location, it sits several inches further back to line up the shifter with the hole in the 4-speed console top plate. I don’t believe you could make it work with the factory console location, but I could be wrong. I just used the standard shift location on the transmission.
IMG_1694.jpeg

IMG_1697.jpeg

IMG_3162.jpeg

I have a T56 magnum in my Duster with the ToddRon crossmember and run a console. The console is not in that factory location, it sits several inches further back to line up the shifter with the hole in the 4-speed console top plate. I don’t believe you could make it work with the factory console location, but I could be wrong. I just used the standard shift location on the transmission.
View attachment 1716079724

View attachment 1716079725

View attachment 1716079726

I am going to get an American Powertrain offset shifter which will move the shift handle attach point forward. Then the original style factory console shifter handle slopes forward before it bends over and back. I also have to cut weld base of reproduction console shift handle which gives me more flexibility. So given all that I think I can get console in the factory location but won't know for sure until later in the project. If I get forced to slide console back some will resort to that but will have to see.....

Four speed shifter handle angle 4.jpg

I am going to get an American Powertrain offset shifter which will move the shift handle attach point forward. Then the original style factory console shifter handle slopes forward before it bends over and back. I also have to cut weld base of reproduction console shift handle which gives me more flexibility. So given all that I think I can get console in the factory location but won't know for sure until later in the project. If I get forced to slide console back some will resort to that but will have to see.....

View attachment 1716079729

I haven't see the AP offset shifter, although really it only has to move the shifter a few inches forward. Which should be possible before it hits the ToddRon crossmember.

I will say this about using the stock console mounts- you are going to want to raise that section of tunnel behind the crossmember where the rear stock console mount sits. If you look at the pictures of my tunnel behind the crossmember you can see I raised that section up, and it's because it will be darn difficult to get the transmission installed if you keep the factory tunnel height there. Which is why I raised mine up and added that removable section behind the shifter, so I could install and remove the transmission with the engine still in place.

I didn't have a factory console in my car, so, I made my console mounts afterwards. The front mount I made pretty much the same as a factory front mount, but the rear mount is a little different and I only used the rear location, so it would be behind the removable section of tunnel cover. The ToddRon crossmember is that tall for a reason, I'd be pretty surprised if you can leave the rear console mount intact without moving it higher at the least to clear the back end of the transmission.

Best of luck, like I said I custom mounted mine. But even just based on the tunnel height I would say you have some more work to do when you get the transmission in there, at least based on what I had to do.

I haven't see the AP offset shifter, although really it only has to move the shifter a few inches forward.

It AP shifter is designed to move the shift handle attachment location. The shifter also provides shorter throws compared to the standard Magnum shifter:

-
Back