Factory AC for 68 Valiant.

-

Mike P 52

Reaction score
Real quick (and probably stupid) question. Did Chrysler produce a factory AC for the 68 Valiant or or were they all dealer installed units? Is there a later factory Heater/AC unit that will fit?

My 67 Dart was factory air. So I would say it was available.

I added factory AC to my 65 Dart wagon. Should be not much problem adding 67-69 AC to your 68

I took the factory unit out of my 68 and put a Vintage Air unit in. Between the controller and vacuum motors it kept me busy and then the evaporator started leaking. Saved about 30lbs also. Had to make a few mods to the controller

image_2023-08-05_055827155.png

Real quick (and probably stupid) question. Did Chrysler produce a factory AC for the 68 Valiant or or were they all dealer installed units? Is there a later factory Heater/AC unit that will fit?
Yes there was factory installed a/c but there are several reasons why you don't want it, especially in a build that didn't come with it.
Modern aftermarket units like shown above is the "be wise" move.

Thanks guys. I'm just looking at options right now and appreciate the info.

I'm turning a former street/strip car (more strip than street) into a daily driver and still collecting parts/information. I live in AZ and where I’m at heat and AC are mandatory.

Thanks to your info it looks like I’ll have three options.

Factory AC/heater if I can find good donor.

An aftermarket heat/AC unit.

Stock Heater and under dash AC (kind of leaning this way if there’s room for the blower motor on the engine side of the firewall)

Again thanks.

Thanks guys. I'm just looking at options right now and appreciate the info.

I'm turning a former street/strip car (more strip than street) into a daily driver and still collecting parts/information. I live in AZ and where I’m at heat and AC are mandatory.

Thanks to your info it looks like I’ll have three options.

Factory AC/heater if I can find good donor.

An aftermarket heat/AC unit.

Stock Heater and under dash AC (kind of leaning this way if there’s room for the blower motor on the engine side of the firewall)

Again thanks.
The under dash unit dubbed "knee knocker" has its blower built in. Only mod to the firewall is holes for the 2 freon tubes and a condensation drain.

The under dash unit dubbed "knee knocker" has its blower built in. Only mod to the firewall is holes for the 2 freon tubes.
And 2 holes in the floor for evaporator drain. :BangHead: :lol: :lol:

I have a dealer installed "Knee Knocker". I wish I had a new aftermarket set up with a lightweight compressor and in dash unit.

4-12-18 077.jpg

I’ve installed a few of the aftermarket heater/AC units over the years and done several of the under the dash units along with servicing a lot of MOPAR factory ac units, even retrofitted a couple of cars/truck to OE air/heater systems.

Not coming across a factory A Body set up yet I’m not sure what’s going to be involved, but thank you for the reminder on the OE control switches. They were fine when they worked but a huge PIA when they didn’t. I don’t know what the situation is now but several years ago finding replacement switches was almost impossible.

I don’t really mind the under dash units and it looks like with the right unit I won’t run into any interference issues with the console.

I switched over to Sanden 508 compressors on almost everything over the last several years and the engine that’s going into the car already has one set up on it.

Again I really appreciate the insights.

The under dash unit dubbed "knee knocker" has its blower built in. Only mod to the firewall is holes for the 2 freon tubes and a condensation drain.
That’s what I will be using in my 47 Dodge sedan

Many many years ago I found an original Mark IV under dash unit in a 60 Chrysler in a junk yard and bought it. I did a cosmetic restoration and painted the case interior color. It has a beautiful chromed metal face and vents and a little thermometer in the center of it.

https://flic.kr/p/ZbAZRN]
37532329180_93339465ce_z.jpg
57 Int[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153889607@N08/]M Patterson[/url], on Flickr

It found a home in my 57 Plymouth and even converted to 134a it will freeze you out (at least in the front seats LOL).

If you have a good heater put the under dash unit in. I didn't have that option being a factory a/c car, that and I added a console.

Just a photo of my 68 Valiant when I first bought it. Dealer installed MOPAR A/C.
Installed when the car was new.

IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2186.jpg

I recently installed A/C in my 63 Belvedere. Vintage Air compact heat and air. Cooks you and Freezes you.
Can't beat the Sanden compressors. Just a thought for you. Cost was ruffly $1200-1400 total.
Never thought the day would come that I'd have air in my Hot Rod. Like you Southern Nevada it's a must.

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

Darter6 I do like the looks of the under dash vents, and the info is good to know, and will probably look into it if I decide to go with a combined heat/ac unit.

Normally I just buy the evaporator/vents/controls separately and then source all the rest of the parts locally, it comes out a bit cheaper that way.

"......Never thought the day would come that I'd have air in my Hot Rod......."

Yeah it doesn't take too many summers in the southwest to figure that out.

Many many years ago I found an original Mark IV under dash unit in a 60 Chrysler in a junk yard and bought it. I did a cosmetic restoration and painted the case interior color. It has a beautiful chromed metal face and vents and a little thermometer in the center of it.

]

View attachment 171612333457 Int[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153889607@N08/]M Patterson[/url], on Flickr

It found a home in my 57 Plymouth and even converted to 134a it will freeze you out (at least in the front seats LOL).

To simply click the like button wasn't enough. I had to type/say how sweet that unit appears in that car. I saw very close to the same in a early 300C once. Thank you for sharing.
I have here what the dealer installed in a 69 Dart. It's called an OEM look alike. It looks like the OEM under dash vent assembly. There's no way it could ever look as good as what you have. The thread starter here has a 68 so the unit I have could look presentable in his car but it never had the lower pad piece that a 68 look alike "possibly" would have included.

-
Back