Factory Electrical Connectors

-

Map63Vette

Reaction score
So maybe this is more appropriate for the electrical section, but it does apply to my hemi I suppose. Does anyone know a place that sells factory connectors for the different sensors and stuff on the new Hemi? I called the dealership a while back when I needed to get an alternator connector for my setup (engine didn't come with an alternator), but they said I'd have to buy the whole harness, they didn't just have connectors. I called a local salvage yard and they pretty much told me the same thing, if I wanted one piece I had to buy the whole thing. Luckily there is an automotive electrical shop in town that specializes in alternator and starter repair stuff and they managed to get me a connector, but it was prewired so I had to crimp it together with the rest of my harness as opposed to wiring the pins myself. I've been debating going back to an EFI setup on my car using the stock injectors on my new intake, but I don't have any connectors for them and didn't know where else to look for them.

There's no two ways about it. I thought about an EFI swap, and I would definately get a complete harness out of a wrecker

So maybe this is more appropriate for the electrical section, but it does apply to my hemi I suppose. Does anyone know a place that sells factory connectors for the different sensors and stuff on the new Hemi? I called the dealership a while back when I needed to get an alternator connector for my setup (engine didn't come with an alternator), but they said I'd have to buy the whole harness, they didn't just have connectors. I called a local salvage yard and they pretty much told me the same thing, if I wanted one piece I had to buy the whole thing. Luckily there is an automotive electrical shop in town that specializes in alternator and starter repair stuff and they managed to get me a connector, but it was prewired so I had to crimp it together with the rest of my harness as opposed to wiring the pins myself. I've been debating going back to an EFI setup on my car using the stock injectors on my new intake, but I don't have any connectors for them and didn't know where else to look for them.

If you want them, I have all 8 connections from a wiring harness that I took appart when I made my coil relocation. They are yours if you pay for the ride. Let me know.:toothy8:

When I bought my engine it came with the factory harness which I cut apart just in case I needed a connector. If you get stuck for something, let me know.

Tell me what connectors you need I have access to a few harnesses I'm sure I could get what you need.

Cool, thanks for the help and advice. I'm thinking the swap will probably be a ways off since I'd still have to figure out what I want to do about a computer if I end up doing it. I also already have the MSD box and such, so if possible I'd rather just get a fuel controller instead of trying to recoup money on the MSD. Also, is it possible to tee into the factory connectors? For instance, I imagine both the MSD and a fuel injection computer would want the crank sensor, but would splitting the signal mess it up?

Feeing them together could cause issues but it might nit it depends on the sensor I know that temp sensors it will cause issues. But a crank sensor maybe not. Have you looked at mega squirt? That's what I'll be running. It will control fuel and spark or just one or the other. Might be an alternative to a factory PCM.

Yeah, the Megasquirt was the first thing I was looking at because of the affordability. I'm guessing it would probably even be cheaper than a standalone EFI controller despite the fact that it can control spark and fuel (though I did just read in the other forum that it can't run the coils directly). Was thinking about talking to Holley or FAST and seeing if they sold their EFI parts separately. I don't need the full kit, really just the computer and wiring harness (as opposed to the kit that comes with injectors and some even with intakes), though I don't know if their kits will work with stock injectors or if they can be configured for whatever you run. Guess I need to see about getting my intake drilled to start with, that might be far more cost prohibitive than I think.

Yeah, the Megasquirt was the first thing I was looking at because of the affordability. I'm guessing it would probably even be cheaper than a standalone EFI controller despite the fact that it can control spark and fuel (though I did just read in the other forum that it can't run the coils directly). Was thinking about talking to Holley or FAST and seeing if they sold their EFI parts separately. I don't need the full kit, really just the computer and wiring harness (as opposed to the kit that comes with injectors and some even with intakes), though I don't know if their kits will work with stock injectors or if they can be configured for whatever you run. Guess I need to see about getting my intake drilled to start with, that might be far more cost prohibitive than I think.

It does say in the MSD Hemi 6 instructions that it can be used with the factory ignition computer. Accordong to msd "For EFI applications, an additional harness will be required, harness PN 88815, for '03-'05 or PN 88816, for '06-'07 applications. This Adapter Kit allows the PN 6013 Controller to tap into the sensor signals without interrupting the OEM ECU. The ECU and coils operate as normal while the PN 6013 controls the timing and rpm."
I think you should be able to use an MS1 or MS2 for the injectors and the hemi 6 to fire the plugs. The 88815 is $161.95 and the 88816 is $144.95. You won't need the coil pack dummies for the factory computer but the connections will allow you to get signals to both computers. If you are crafty you should be able to just tap into the signal wires in order to get the info that the computer needs to run instead of buying a plug n play kit that won't be plug n play anyway. Just food for thought!!:drinkers:

MS3 with the MSextra will drive the coils. But you have to wire in some coil drivers to it. Call/look at DIYautotune.com

Sweet Jesus, they want $150 for a few pigtails? For that I'll just look at their wiring diagram and do it myself, lol. The Megasquirt wouldn't have a stock connector anyway, so I could tee into it however I want I suppose.

I think you need to sit down and decide which direction your going to go.

If you are going to use the factory PCM, you can order a plug and play harness from S&P Performance @ hotrodlane.cc

If you are going to go FAST or AEM, they will include the harness as part of their very expensive, but comprehensive kits.

If you decide to go with a carb and MSD, go ahead and buy their harness, by the time you track down and buy all the connectors, assuming you can even find them you'll spend quite a bit. To put this in perspective, I plan on using some GM style weatherpak connectors on my car, they are not cheap, the correct crimper alone is $90.00 and that's before you buy your first pin.

If your like me and plant Megasquirt your engine, buy a complete junkyard harness. My motor came with one and in all honesty I'm going to end up using about 2/3 of it. I'll use all the sensors connectors. Crankshaft, camshaft, coolant temp, knock sensors, and the connectors on the alternator. Then, I'll use all the wiring for both the injectors and coils. Even if I could find all the connectors and the appropriate crimper (assuming a single crimper would work) I'd spend way more than if I simply bought a complete used harness out of a Junk Yard.

From the really nice offers listed above, you might be able to piece together a harness, for shipping costs and a couple of twelve pacs. :)

Wait a minute, I was just about to give up. As a matter of fact I was just closing a bunch of tabs when I ran across this site.

http://www.rowand.net/shop/tech/automotiveelectricalconnectors.htm

Scroll down to the bottom he has a list of resources to help you find what you are seeking.

One of the better websites in his list is http://www.pcsconnectors.com

Here is this pages list of connectors:

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/connectors.aspx

If you have a copy of the service manual for your particular motor you can see diagrams of each plug under the title "Connector Pin Outs" This gives a series of pics of the connectors that you may be able to match up to the pictures on pcsconnectors.com.

Best of Luck.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yeah, the Megasquirt was the first thing I was looking at because of the affordability. I'm guessing it would probably even be cheaper than a standalone EFI controller despite the fact that it can control spark and fuel (though I did just read in the other forum that it can't run the coils directly). .

I just checked DIYautotune, and they're now selling coil drivers.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/quadspark-four-channel-ignition-module-p-481.html

I just bought some Bosch 211's (meyle brand, made in Germany, $72 shipped on eBay- actually worked a deal for 3/$200 shipped). Need to find some connectors now. I didn't look to see if DIY had come out with their coil pack drivers when I ordered, but as long as finding connectors isn't too difficult, I think I prefer this over that.

Well, I already have the car running on a carb and MSD, so I was just thinking about replacing the carb down the road with fuel injection. I have the Indy intake, and it has bosses cast for injectors, so I would just have to get it drilled and throw the factory injectors in. I would keep the MSD since I already have it (and I wouldn't have to worry about ignitors) and just get something to run the FI, so the only connectors I would really need would be the injectors, TPS (have to pick what kind of throttle body, carb flange or Indy sells a hood and front mount that fits on the Mod Man), and coolant temp. I have the MSD harness and can just tap into the crank, cam, and MAP sensors having looked at the diagram they offer with their pigtail connectors.

If you want them, I have all 8 connections from a wiring harness that I took appart when I made my coil relocation. They are yours if you pay for the ride. Let me know.:toothy8:

How much would the ride be to 66049? I would think they would fit in a flat rate box, but never hurts to double check. I think I'm going to try to call around to some machine shops tomorrow and see what they would charge to drill the intake and see if it would even be reasonable to try to use it.

Edit: Sorry, that was supposed to be a PM, lol.

-
Back