Factory senders make all the difference

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Got the tank down into my "ruh roh" level
Went to the station and filled it up 14.9 gallons.

My tank has a dent and only holds about 17.5 gallons (most i ever got in it when completely empty)
14.9 / 17.5 = 0.85
1 - 0.85 = 0.15 (gives decimal equivalent of the fuel left in the tank)
0.15 x 8 = 1.2 (that is 1.2 eigths of a tank)

Even if you use 18 gallons
14.9 / 18 = 0.83
1 - 0.83 = 0.17 (gives decimal equivalent of the per entage of fuel left in the tank)
0.17 x 8 = 1.38 (that is 1.36 eigths of a tank)

Here is where my stock 67 guage, stock mechanical IVR, stock wiring, and later (supercedes number) oem fuel sender reads.

PXL_20211003_150734212.jpg

Those are my "outdoor"shoes!

Last edited:
OK FINE LOL. "But where do you get these" unobtainiums?

OK FINE LOL. "But where do you get these" unobtainiums
According to the local dodge dealer who searched for it with super edes numbers from a paper parts book, i got the last one on the planet 4 years ago from a dealer in GA (IIRC).

Now you buy a used oem and have it rebuilt, or if your lucky rebuild it yourself.

Intrestingly it looks just like every other aftermarket sender out there, just the winding is propperly setup for our weird shaped gas tanks and our non liner guages.

Next time i have it out i will have to bend the tube down a bit more, because fron "run it out of gas" testing i still have 1 to 2 gallons in the tank when the engine dies

That's why when it gets to 1/8 i get nervous.

Even if the tubular sock is on the bottom of the tank, 2 gallons may not cover it when the tank is at an angle. My 67 shut down once years ago, ended up half way around a blind curve with a rear corner stilcking out in the rural 50 mph 2 lane. A panic situation I wouldn't want anyone to experience. 1/8 is low enough. Imagine a "low fuel" warning lamp and go get some. Thats my method. Good luck to all.

Even if the tubular sock is on the bottom of the tank, 2 gallons may not cover it when the tank is at an angle. My 67 shut down once years ago, ended up half way around a blind curve with a rear corner stilcking out in the rural 50 mph 2 lane. A panic situation I wouldn't want anyone to experience. 1/8 is low enough. Imagine a "low fuel" warning lamp and go get some. Thats my method. Good luck to all.
Absolutely! I try to fill up when it touches "E", which is about 1/4. My gauge shows "F" when full, then comes down fast. When it is nearly empty, it is well below the "E". No sense taking a chance!

Absolutely! I try to fill up when it touches "E", which is about 1/4. My gauge shows "F" when full, then comes down fast. When it is nearly empty, it is well below the "E". No sense taking a chance!
Yeah, My 67 had OEM sender when I bought it. I really didn't know how well it worked during my 2854 mile drive home because every time I needed coffee or go pee I went ahead and topped of the tank, checked oil, etc...
This sweety had been on this side of the country only from Oct. to Apr. when I had one the worst 15 minute experiences of my life. When todays aftermarket sender shows about 1/8 of a tank and 8 to 9 gallons tops it off, I don't care. The real non ethanol gas is well over 3.00 per gallon. Small price to pay to prevent what I went through mentally on a previous day (back in 2006).
You know what really gets me? The hot rodders. They will spend a small fortune on everything the aftermarket offers, from radiator to exhaust tips, then whine about fuel senders that dont work right.
I decided that my classic car is like my dog. The food bowl is part of the responcibility that I took on.
P.S. for some reason my spell check is inop, sorry. Happy moparing to all.

-
Back