FAIL right out of the package.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
On May 27 I ordered a new Accel HEI module from Holley.
There was no Accel sticker on it like the picture on the website, which isn’t a problem but a ?
Supposed to be a high performance module.

Yesterday I put it in and this morning I went out to go to the store.
Car fired up fine, but it soon became apparent that something wasn’t right.
As I was driving down our street the engine was bucking, missing and ran like total ****.
It was so bad I pulled off the side of the road and swapped my spare module back in.
Car ran perfect again.

The support call wait was 25-35 minutes wait time.

Dammit Jim. :D
I hate buying anything new any more.
It used to be so satisfying to get something new for a car.
I’ll probably even have to pay to ship it back.

I’m going to wait to call them again until I’m not so annoyed about it, or I might say something not so nice.

Prices going up and quality going down.

IMG_5506.jpeg

I'd be dang ugly over that much money.

Dammit Jim. :D
I hate buying anything new any more.
It used to be so satisfying to get something new for a car.
I can totally relate to this...
Used to make me so happy when I'd be able to scrape up enough money to add something new to the car, but now I'm just sick and tired of ending up with stuff that is either total junk, the completely wrong part, or in pieces by the time it gets to me.
I'm back to using original, used, or 30+ year old aftermarket replacement parts.
People say all the time "Ain't it great that there's so many reproduction and replacement parts available now?"
Not if they're all crap.

I can totally relate to this...
Used to make me so happy when I'd be able to scrape up enough money to add something new to the car, but now I'm just sick and tired of ending up with stuff that is either total junk, the completely wrong part, or in pieces by the time it gets to me.
I'm back to using original, used, or 30+ year old aftermarket replacement parts.
People say all the time "Ain't it great that there's so many reproduction and replacement parts available now?"
Not if they're all crap.

I got the module I was/am running out of the Pick and Pull and it’s still going 5 years later.
I guess I’ll just do that again.
A spare is all I was really after in the first place.
I have never bought an ignition part from Accel in my life because there is no way I’m going to get stuck on the road over a part I have to order.

Looks like my deviation bit me, but it won’t happen again.

And here I have been bragging on their big square-top SuperCoil that hasn't skipped a beat in over 20 years, hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Should I start carrying a spare?
Hell no, I'm retired now and don't have to be anywhere on time, except maybe to my funeral, lol

The hoarder in me pays off that way- I've always found it hard to throw away any functional parts. So over the years I end up with buckets/boxes of used original (but still good) coils, ECUs, ballast resistors, etc. Sad part is I'm starting to run low on some of it because I've learned not to trust a lot of the new stuff. Some of it may not look pretty or trick, but then "pretty" doesn't count for much when it's sitting on the side of the road. Sigh.

That’s too bad. A shame actually.
Recently I switched from HEI back to FBO box and coil/ distributor. HEI have been failing- I went thru 3 in 2 weeks. Double checked all my voltages, grounds, grease and heat sink. All was good. Even the pick up module in the distributor. SN: 3 named brands all made in CHY-na.

Just think.... It might be a good thing, cause if hosstilities ever pop up between US, and CHINA, maybe a lot of their stuff will fail, LOL.

Dave

LIke the old 76 Duster I bought a couple years ago. The oem ECU had ALL the back side insulation melted away long ago, but it ran perfect. I bought a new ECU to carry for a spare. OK... I should find another old 50 year old ECU to carry for a SPARE!! :rofl: :steering: :thumbsup: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :poke:

I too, prefer old NOS ignition parts. Like Echlin and Niehoff ECU'S in old original boxes. You have to study the pictures to make sure it's an old original part. I've seen quite a few sellers on Ebay selling ECU's as NOS and you can see they've been used-the bolt holes having the gripper star washer marks.

I too, prefer old NOS ignition parts. Like Echlin and Niehoff ECU'S in old original boxes. You have to study the pictures to make sure it's an old original part. I've seen quite a few sellers on Ebay selling ECU's as NOS and you can see they've been used-the bolt holes having the gripper star washer marks.
If the price is right, I don't mind if they're used- as long as they work!
Kinda like me: old, used, a little beat up and maybe not real pretty- but still (semi) functional! :lol:

i use a zener diode to protect mine
v12.jpg

buy a
VS-40HFR40 Diode
Stud mount diode,
R in name means reversed anode/cathode

Mount it into the bracket as well, and run a wire from the free end to coil negative

this stops a voltage spike on the primary side of the coil going higher than 400V

something higher than 400V will stress the ignition module

you can achieve similar protection with the capacitor that was installed originally with the module when mounted on the large HEI dizzy on a remote coil chevy I6

shown a s 1 microfarad between ground and +ve feed in the diagram above

the diagram above represents the absolute Belt and Braces (suspenders) implementation Jaguar and Lucas did on the V12 Jaguar engine in the XJS i.e they went all out and included every component they could see from the original application diagram created by motorola when they did the work for a stand alone microchip set-up that eventually morphed into the 4 pin HEI we have known since 1975. most of it was not that relevant in later years, given the fast advances in semiconductors from the 80s onwards, but that didn't stop jaguar sticking to its OEM standards from the last decade until FI and ECUs came in. A modern HEI module in theory does not need a capacitor (cars do not have AM radios and CBs these days) or the zener diode because HEIs use a different high power switching "transistor" (for want of a better word) that is more robust these days, and can survive a spike of 500V or more. But we are not using these modules as standard. our heat sink is different, our coil may be different, our plug gaps may be different, our alternators and regulators are different, our magnetic trigger is different, it can produce a lower level signal (peak to peak) and has a different resistance therefore it messes with the dwell control slightly, namely more current flow in the coil, for longer, at certain RPMs, meaning hotter coil and module.

dwell control in HEI is all about limiting the dwell to a very small value at low RPM to avoid overheating the coil and module and allowing it to float to maximum possible at Higher RPM. this is done with capacitors and resistors. and of course the pickup coil and the ignition coil are connected to that circuit and their resistance can play a part.
dwell control is based on how big the AC wave form from the pickup is
high RPM big wave with higher AC voltage
low RPM small AC voltage
impiedence plays a part the mismatch between pickup coil and module has an impact on dwell control.

And also many of these modules are made by factories that might not apply the same QA as delco did and to avoid copyright and patents certain characteristics are tweaked to make them just enough different to be thought of as unique

if they are happy to put their name on the box and the sealed baggy the module is wrapped in, its probably a decent module.

if its just rattling around in an unbranded box ....Mmmmmm no. best to spend $20 not $7
but you do not need to spend $140

Dave

ps picture below shows 1 cycle as 1 peak on the reluctor ring pases the magnetic pickup
faster the dizzy spins the bigger the peak
also illustrates why having the wires the wrong way causes the need to adjust the timing to get it to run and why the timing is totally inconsistent if the wires are backwards
runs good you have the pickup wired the correct way
runs bad.... well..... try them the other way round

instead of triggering at 1.7 volts on the upswing as the peak passes the magnetic pickup, you are triggering at minus 1.7 volts on the slow ramp of the initial down swing caused as the peak approaches the magnetic pickup, and that slow ramp gradient and therefore where it hits Minus 1.7 V (with the wires backwards) differs massively with RPM. (i made up the 1.7 v bit, i do not know the exact trigger voltage, its just definitely NOT zero Volts, and needs to be big enough not to be a false trigger AND not so high as to be too different between low and higher RPM)

a backward trigger.JPG

Last edited:
And here I have been bragging on their big square-top SuperCoil that hasn't skipped a beat in over 20 years, hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Should I start carrying a spare?
Hell no, I'm retired now and don't have to be anywhere on time, except maybe to my funeral, lol

20 YO and still a quality part. Nothing new here and bragging about a 20 YO part? Pfst!

Probably won't warranty an electrical part. Hope they don't pull that line on you.

Pretty pricey for an 8-pin GM HEI module. I use one in 2 of my old Mopars. I've bought spares for ~$20 on ebay, but from liquidators (trucking accidents, ...). I wonder if that yellow label, which you didn't even get, actually buys you anything different than the OEM model. As it, it will throw a powerful spark (youtubes) so what might Accel do better? For those who prefer red, there is MSD.

Probably won't warranty an electrical part. Hope they don't pull that line on you.

Oh I’m actually expecting that line.
I’ll be surprised if they send me a new one, but I have basically written off my 80 bucks already.

Pretty pricey for an 8-pin GM HEI module. I use one in 2 of my old Mopars. I've bought spares for ~$20 on ebay, but from liquidators (trucking accidents, ...). I wonder if that yellow label, which you didn't even get, actually buys you anything different than the OEM model. As it, it will throw a powerful spark (youtubes) so what might Accel do better? For those who prefer red, there is MSD.

Believe it or not 80 was fairly low compared to most places.
Thats why I got it from Holley.
Yea you could get one from Walmart or whatever, but who knows about who they get it from.

i found the Napa ones to be fine about $26
i like a delco
i have had a borgwarner

everyone makes them they were used in lancias and fiats peugeots in europe as well
so you get some euro brands popping up like hella and magnetti marelli

i busted a few but once i worked out why...no problems

Dave

-
Back