Fair price for straight, rust free A body?

-

glockr

Reaction score
I want to buy a project car next summer and I'd like to know what I can expect to pay so I know how much money I need to come up with by next April or May. I'd like to find one of these (in order of preference) - 64 Valiant wagon, any year (64,65,66) Barracuda, 64 Valiant 2 door, 63 Dart 2 door. What can I expect to pay for a straight, rust free one? Glass and lenses need to be presentable as well. Don't care about condition of engine or interior. I'm not posting this in classifieds because I'm not ready to buy right now, just trying to figure out the money side so I can start working on my wife:)

Thanks,
Ken

I know this isn't an answer but it depends on how much you like what you find,a buddy of mine has a 69 coronet rusting away in his back yard that I have offered serious money for,probably because he says he'll never sell.

$3500 would be a decent price for a truly rust free typical 6 cyl model in a wagon or 2-door, much less for a 4-door sedan. Add more for v-8's, 4-speeds, rags etc. Finding a rust free anything around here in the northeast from the 60's is a virtual impossibility but you're in a better place.

well, obviously you are going to pay more for the cars at the top of your list, but prices vary by region and there are always deals to be had, sometimes in your own backyard.
Just for a couple of examples, I paid $2000 for a non-running and somewhat rusty 64 Dart 2-door sedan, and $400 for a much-less-rusty-but-missing-the-engine 4dr 63 dart. However, I only have about $6k into turning the 64 into a still-somewhat-rusty but fun street brawler. that includes a complete driveline swap.
the deals are out there, the best thing is just to save your money and take your time, that way when you find the right one you can pull the trigger before someone else gets to it.
-Tim

Hey Ken -
Since you're in Nevada, I suggest you attend 'Mopars At The Strip' next March 26-28 in Las Vegas and see what you can find. There's always some projects in the swap meet area. You'll also get a chance to visit a bunch of vendors, see some already completed projects in the car show, and see some great Mopar power out on the dragstrip.

I bought my 95% rust free 65 Barracuda a little over a year ago for $2500 Canadian. I might have paid a little to much for it but I didn't dicker on the price at all because I bought it off a buddy of mine who I trusted, and still do. The Cuda was originally a 273 Commando/auto car but didn't come with a motor, and about the only other part that didn't come with it was the windshield. I paid Barry for it and came home with a mini van packed to the roof with extra parts (including 3 rear windows) and a 5x10 utility trailer filled up too. Two weeks later I rented a U-haul trailer to bring the car home (200 miles away) and the car was filled with yet more parts to the top of the doors. I have since got a sceaming deal on a good running 318/904 combo out of a 76 Valiant (200 bucks) from a member here that will be going into it until I can afford to build a nice 360 for it. If I had to buy the same year Chevelle in the same condition (yes at heart I'm a Chevy guy) with all the parts I got with the Cuda I know I'd be paying at the very least, double my 2500 bucks.

I dont know, Ive been looking hoping to beable to pick something up next spring if I can sell my truck and all I see for under $5000 is rusted junk. If you want a nice driveable car not perfect in any way but presentable seems like you need to be ready to shell out $10,000

No this doesnt mean people are getting these prices for these cars but that seems to be what they are asking on line.

The best deals I have seen are a 72 Demon for $6000 and a 71 Duster for $10,000 both on here and a 65 Dart for $8000 on Moparts. Again, these are pretty nice but still need some work.

I found a 66 fish with a brand new engine/clutch/trans/8 3/4 and really straight except front floor pans for $3500.

The only thing you can do is research. Old cars weekly puts out a good newspaper and a quarterly price guide. Hemmings bought out the little black book company and now they do 3 time a year price guide. In the end its all up to the condition of the car and what the market will bear.

Then its up to the seller to come back to planet earth and realize he can't retire on the sale of this car.

Its a buyers market, you'll find it, might take a bit.

$3500 would be a decent price for a truly rust free typical 6 cyl model in a wagon or 2-door, much less for a 4-door sedan. Add more for v-8's, 4-speeds, rags etc. Finding a rust free anything around here in the northeast from the 60's is a virtual impossibility but you're in a better place.

For 4000 i will let my 64 Valiant Wagon go! has 318/904 8 3/4 all body work done, needs paint, interior is so so.

It really depends on region.. If you expect to find a rust free a- body just a roller... At least $3500

Buy my car. 1964 Valiant Signet V8 $7495. near Albany,NY

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=70926

DSCN2307Medium.JPG

I found my 66 Dart on hear around this time last year,had it shipped up to Toronto Canada from Alabama.It is rust-free(well 95%),I sold all the 6cyl. 4bbl. stuff and the headers and dual exhaust and recovered the cost of shipping it.I,ve basically rebuilt the whole cars drivetrain/suspension,disc. brakes/8 3/4 rear.This is the project I wanted cause you just can,t find these cars around here in this condition.Good Luck!Keep checking for the right one,they popoup daily.

I paid $3500 for my Dart as you see it ZERO rust , no rust ever, fresh paint. It is 100% original (except for the paint which was EV2 Hemi Orange)and totally unmolested. I spent two years looking for a great deal. This was a car that spent its whole life in Nevada and SOCAL. Getting it home from there was a major frig but that's a whole other story The deals are out there especially now as many are low on cash. I say wait till you find something pretty good for 3-4 .

Come to one of the 'Flings in LA (Woodley Park). You will find similar cars all day long for ~$2k.

I found a real nice 64 Dart with a V8 that ran well...only issue was that most of the chrome had been painted pink for his daughter. If I remember correctly, he was asking $1600. I did not need another project, so I passed....

Bring cash, and a trailer, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks,
OldMoparsRule

The price all depends on what part of the country the car you are looking at is in. A rust free car will fetch double in the Midwest (St.Louis) than it will in the southwest, (Arizona, Califorina)

I bought my 95% rust free 65 Barracuda a little over a year ago for $2500 Canadian. I might have paid a little to much for it but I didn't dicker on the price at all because I bought it off a buddy of mine who I trusted, and still do. The Cuda was originally a 273 Commando/auto car but didn't come with a motor, and about the only other part that didn't come with it was the windshield. I paid Barry for it and came home with a mini van packed to the roof with extra parts (including 3 rear windows) and a 5x10 utility trailer filled up too. Two weeks later I rented a U-haul trailer to bring the car home (200 miles away) and the car was filled with yet more parts to the top of the doors. I have since got a sceaming deal on a good running 318/904 combo out of a 76 Valiant (200 bucks) from a member here that will be going into it until I can afford to build a nice 360 for it. If I had to buy the same year Chevelle in the same condition (yes at heart I'm a Chevy guy) with all the parts I got with the Cuda I know I'd be paying at the very least, double my 2500 bucks.

This would have been considered dirt cheap around the Midwest.

$3500 would be very high around here, more like $1500-$2000 tops.

Sometimes it is a lot cheaper to buy a car outside your area and pay for shipping than it is to find a car of the same caliber in your own area.

I'm thinking 1500 to 2000 myself based on the west coast and it would be a project car barely running, needing the brakes rebuilt, interior redone, paint redone, and body would be fair shape mostly rust free.

A real nice looking 65 Valiant, two door, slant six sold near me. Asking price was 1850

-
Back