Fan clearance

-

Shmaako

Reaction score
What is the '
20200714_003132.jpg
20200714_003107.jpg
recommended' minimum clearance needed between fan and radiator?

Looking at the top I’d say there’s enough clearance
can’t tell about the bottom

I always say ditch that whirling blade of death and get a electric fan with a heat sensor...:thumbsup:

I know that the factory specs 3/4" with a shroud, not entirely sure without a shroud but 1/4" is WAY too close...

The blades of the fan will move forward as rpm increases.
If it were the clutch that close, - maybe.
The blades usually suck forward, - one of them may hit the top or bottom tank, - bend, - then wipe out the rad.
My son's is about 1/4 clearance to the clutch hub, and the rear mount is captured, so forward movement is limited . He's a spirited driver , no drama .

Fan clearance

Last edited:
Unshrouded about an inch is good. Allows for fan flex at rpm and some driveline movement.

Shrouded fan doesn't matter how far from the radiator, just blades half in/half out of opening for efficiency.

I think I will cut the large spacer behind my fan a 1/2" to gain that room.
If you don't have a milling machine or lathe to cut it perfectly square, you can buy fan spacers of various thicknesses on ebay. I had to try several to get my fan perfect on my slant six (very tight). Looks like you have plenty of room to move your fan back on your big-block. I also used that aluminum water pump housing on my 383. It must vary slightly from the factory cast-iron housing since I had to fuss with pulley alignments a bit. If you use an aftermarket damper, that can trigger such changes too.

The radiator support on mine was pushed back (or assembled that way) almost 1". Curtis (@waggin) noticed it one day while he was up for a visit. I did some measuring a few days later and he was right. Measure from a smooth spot on the firewall to where the inner fender meets the support on each side and then from a spot in the middle. You need to make sure you measure from spots on the same PLANE on the firewall, as there are some indented areas. I jacked mine out almost a full inch with a porta power and now I have a lot more room. The hood even closes better. It's funny though, because the hood nor the grill has any damage at all.

-
Back