Fan pulley, removal nessesary?

-

RunarStock

Reaction score
Hi! First post. I'll do a short hello while at it.

Guy from Norway, been wanting a muscle car for ten years, just got me a 71 Dart Swinger with 340 and a 727 manual valve. Engine probably isnt from 71, as the car was dynoed in 2014 at 285hp at the wheels.

Well, back on track, the car was importes from Tennessee, which is a tiiny tad warmer than 70° north. With temps normally between 5-15 degrees in may-june the car isn't at much risk of overheating. As a matter of fact I havent seen the engine temp above 150°F. Even after 5 hours of highway speeds.

The fan is'nt clutched so it's perpetually cooling my engine. I'm thinking to just remove the blades, and leave the pulley for the alternator. Is this a problem in regards of balance in the pulley? I see the pulley is slightly off center, as the pulley seems to be conical, perhaps to balance the pull of the alternator and the weight of the fan.
I restricted air flow through the radiator (sounds better than cardboard in grill), and the engine of course heated up much quicker and idled nicer and generally drove nicer.

So, can I just remove the blades and install an electric fan?

Thermostat likely to be shot maybe? If there is one installed at all.

Thank you in advance.

The only issue is pulley hub strength not balance. Either use washer head bolts or cut the bottom off of an old fan clutch flange to use as a reinforcement for the pulley face and prevent cracking around the bolt holes.

If it's overcooling then the thermostat is the problem and not the fan.
But to answer your question, the fan has nothing to do with balancing anything.
I run electric fan cooling and simply removed the fan and left the pulley.

every minute you run that motor at 150 your wearing the walls like 200% faster than at 180. Get a hot stat. You could just run a spacer in front of the pulley, but restricting the flow of air through the radiator is probably easier. Cardboard works, just cut a hole in the middle for something to get through. If the stat is working, the coolant is restricted in the radiator anyway. I bet your stat is shot or absent.

These engines usually "like" a 195 T-stat so try a new one of those before you mod anything.

From post #1, you say your summer temp is between 5 and 15. Ima guessing that would be Celsius? In US terms that would be 41*F to 59*F.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
There is no motivation you could tempt me with to live there. None.

From post #1, you say your summer temp is between 5 and 15. Ima guessing that would be Celsius? In US terms that would be 41*F to 59*F.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
There is no motivation you could tempt me with to live there. None.

X) generally it's quite chill up here, yes. April is still a snow month, in may it thaws and in june we start warming up, or should I say thaw.

If you like fishing, and I do, this is heaven. I have 7 rivers (that i can remember on the fly) within 10min driving, and countless small lakes and ponds. And nobody owns them, WE do, I don't have to ask anyone to do anything, anywhere. And regarding the good stuff that comes with heat, the threshold for light clothing is about the temperature your soft serve is able to start melting :)

Yeah, I checked where you are on the ball-earth model. You are practically on top of the world. In Canada, almost nobody lives that far north. That is the land of the Inuit and the caribou.I have never met one in my nearly 63 years.

-
Back