Fanbelt problem

-

nomad9074

GT RAGTOP
Reaction score
Ok, heres a dumb question. I have a '67 Dodge Dart ragtop, slant 6. Stock as far as I can tell. I replaced the bottom radiator hose and discovered that the fanbelt had been rubbing the hose. I figured the hose might have swelled causing the rubbing. When I ordered the new hose and installed it, the same thing happened. Am I missing something? Is this a design flaw or am I just doing it wrong. The hose seems to be the right one. Any suggestions? I really want to get this thing ready for the warmer weather.
Thanks'

Right hose? my 72 hose is bent towards coil in that area with about and inch of clearance. good luck from ne mo

Had the same problem. Used a lower hose from a 71/72 B Body with a slant and problem solved.

Thanks for the input guys. It was driving me nuts. Cuda, how can you tell if your motor mounts are shot. I am a real novice at this. Thanks again.

Here is a good example, They get old and smashed down and I bet if you look at your oil pan it is almost rubbing your cross member.

Here is a bad motor mount on the drivers side of my 66 Valiant/6

valiant%20004.jpg

Mike,I will check it out tonite. How difficult is replacing the mounts? Does the engine need to come out? Thanks for the pic.

I found another thread about jacking the motor up to put on new mounts. Precisely how does this work and where does one jack? God I feel stupid.

I found another thread about jacking the motor up to put on new mounts. Precisely how does this work and where does one jack? God I feel stupid.

Well, I don't know the exact details or what's covered the post you found. But when I had mine changed I did it with a family friend whose a mechanic. He put a wood block on top of the floor jack disc and then positioned it on the block in front of the oil pan and lifted till clear. The thing to know though is that your transmission will probably need some small adjustments afterward, nothing major just some tuning. All in all it's a pretty quick fix.

grumpuscreature explained this in a different post but I will give it a shot.
Drivers side first remove nut and jack your motor up just far enough so you cam remove it and replace, Then go to the other side and loosen the trans mount and then the passenger side motor mount and lift just far enough to remove it and replace it. He will jump in here and tell us again.

Ok, heres a dumb question. I have a '67 Dodge Dart ragtop, slant 6. Stock as far as I can tell. I replaced the bottom radiator hose and discovered that the fanbelt had been rubbing the hose. I figured the hose might have swelled causing the rubbing. When I ordered the new hose and installed it, the same thing happened. Am I missing something? Is this a design flaw or am I just doing it wrong. The hose seems to be the right one. Any suggestions? I really want to get this thing ready for the warmer weather.
Thanks'

When I was getting my Dart slant going a couple of years ago or so, I had a terrible time finding a lower rad hose. I tried the Goodyear 60664, it fit but didn't have that subtle bend around the bolck so the fan belt didn't rub on it. Tried a Kelly-Springfield s-105, not really close (both came up on the Kragen auto parts store as fitting).

What fit like a glove with the perfect bends was the Gates (which make NAPA's hoses). Gates 20949 or NAPA 7674. I have a 73 Dart with the 22" A/C radiator, so yours may be different, but if you haven't tried the NAPA or Gates hoses, you may want to give it a try.

A '67 Dart /6 radiator should have a curved lower radiator connection. If the radiator has been changed to a later version or a one-size-fits-all replacement, the original style hose might not work. If that's the case, use the '68 and newer type hose for a straight lower connection. There are various hose brands and some fit better than others. Some must be trimmed to fit properly. If worse comes to worse and you're not worried about a stock look, some later A-bodies and F-bodies used a belt shield bracket that prevented any rubbing on the hose.
Good Luck, Mark

Here is a good example, They get old and smashed down and I bet if you look at your oil pan it is almost rubbing your cross member.

Here is a bad motor mount on the drivers side of my 66 Valiant/6

Oh dang, that looks exactly like my motor mount! Well, i have something to do this weekend.

I checked the motor mounts last nite and it appears that the previous owner had recently replaced them. They looked brand new. I know that this is a replacement radiator, so I will now commence the search for the proper hose. Thanks for all your help guys. It is much appreciated.

Just an update. I got the Gates 20949 hose for the early 70's Darts and B bodies and it did indeed fit like a glove. I did check out the hose that Gates called out for the '67 and found that, like the Goodyear hose, the bends and length were wrong. Go figure. Thanks to all, it'll be on the road this weekend and if the weather holds, maybe the top can come down too.

-
Back