fastback interior carpet

-

0ld school

Reaction score
i have a 68 forumla s fastback. when i took the interior out, the rear side panels were not carpeted. i bought a new carpet set from year one and it has what apears to be carpet for the rear sides. would this be correct for my car? the side panels now have a texture like paint or maybe even vinyl covering. almost like the suede texture on the dash.the rear seat also folds down. which way is correct?

The sides being carpeted was part of the deluxe interior. If you have standard interior and yours were not originally carpeted, then that is correct for your car. Look at my photos.. I actually added the carpet because the vinyl textured overlay was scratched to the point it couldn't be fixed. If you are doing an accurate restoration, redye the side panels if they need it. IF not, use the side carpet, it will look nicer and cut down on noise. By the way, the speakers were added by me... not original. Don't get confused.

Originally:

frontseat2.jpg

Now:

trim2.jpg

What Rob said. And the fold down rear seat in '68 was standard on the fastbacks.

Guys what did they do with the trunk?The carpet always stops with the trap door right?

I failed to mention that the texture on those side panels is actually in the vinyl overlay, not the metal. If you sand it, you ruin it. If it is peeling, there isn't a good way to get it back down. If you are lucky to find a set that is unscratched, then you dye it like you would the dash- with a vinyl dye.

The interior side of the trunk panel is carpeted, the back side is a flat black "paint" that is kinda textured (almost like an undercoating). There is metal trim (painted same color as metal on dash) that goes around the top and sides.

Still working on that. Gotta make a new drop down panel without speaker holes. It is just wood anyways:

tgasket3.jpg

tgasket2.jpg

http://www.jefframin.org/barracuda.shtml has a pretty good website showing his restoration. Like my car, he has modified some of the things for enjoyment and for cost savings... Between his site, mine, and others here, you should have some good reference for your restoration. Feel free to ask what you need to know. :)

Some more

Attachments

• DSCF2577 (Medium).jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCF2957 (Medium).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 172
  • DSCF2958 (Medium).jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 182
thanks guys. i think i will use the carpet. the vinyl is in very good shape, but i like the way the carpet looks.

rob, mine is the maroon interior also. the body color is maroon too. maroon on maroon.....i just found the factory correct suede paint for the dash and steering colum. also the gloss for the interior panels. i will have alot left, if interested. i will be starting a thread about my resto shortly. the car will be painted in a couple of weeks. the car is a 68 formula S 383 4 speed, fastback. should be very nice.....

Attachments

• rear interior.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 181
  • front seat.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 207
Oh yeah! Very nice. Are you planning on replacing the interior pieces? You may consider going ahead and converting to the deluxe interior if you are going to put in all new pieces. Legendary Interiors does a really nice job on their stuff. I personally like the standard interior.

As for the interior colors... there has been discussion on how to reproduce the original colors of the interior. I have personally found out that the exterior maroon color is the same that is used on the interior, just with different amounts of flattening additive added to the paint. If you have found the orginal paint for dash and column, that is great! Keep a good record of restoration. Everyone else who restores one will appreciate what you discover and how you approach it.

-
Back