Fastest Muscle Car In History aka HELLCAT

-
Wait a minute..Lingenfelder took an as delivered from GM 2012 Copo camaro to the track,tweaked the computer and ran 8.64 at 159.12

Yes ir3333 we are referring to factory production cars. It currently holds 2 records

Muscle cars were an era. CHEAP LIGHT and FAST! These cars are rich guy pigs. They are just heavy sports cars!

I don't know about that. The GTO was pretty loaded up and is considered the original muscle car by many. Is a gtx a muscle car? They were pretty heavy on options. How about a convertible road runner, convertible gtx, convertible 340 dart or convertible r/t clallenger muscle cars? They weren't stripped down cars and sure weren't light compared to their hardtop counter parts.

Rich mans sports cars? What was $3400 like back then? Not so cheap from I am told. I was t around so I can't compare. I know a lot of guys that sure aren't rich driving new r/t challengers. (Yes the hellcat,Shelby and zl1 are pricer) It's a bad thing because stock modern muscle will not only out perform most classic muscle on the drag strip but also in the corners, stopping comfort, safety and economy? Some closed minded crazy thinking there. Or maybe it's a jealously of sorts, who knows. Modern muscle is the best of all worlds. Don't know how anyone could hate and not respect that.

I love the new cars I just personally do not consider them muscle cars. I have plenty of family members that had cars like 454 Chevelles and super cobra jet cars. They all had them new or within 5 years of new. Normal guys could afford those cars. That isn't the case anymore.

http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=3400&year=1969

This calculator says that $3400 in 1969 is the same as $22000 today. How correct is it I don't know. Assuming its close then the new challenger r/t that I have seen people getting under $30,000 is a damn good deal considering what it comes with and how it performs compared to 1969 muscle.

I guess it all depends what you consider "normal" people. Most normal guys I know can afford a new Chally if they chose to. Hell a couple did buy one. I don't consider a $8 an hour cashier job as normal though.

ported heads making the "Most powerful muscle car ever" more powerful? Wait, dont you think they massaged those heads to the hilt to get them where they are today? I dont think a guy with a die grinder is going to make the heads any better, or the factory would have made the castings that way. Modern casting methods are very good. Old Detroit castings were primative.

I watched the Hellcat videos a couple days ago and it made a HUGE impression on me. Couldn't get them out of my head for awhile. That monkey garage guy was absolutely giddy after the 10.85 run beating the 71 Hemi Challenger's 13.67.

8 speed Torqueflite with lightning fast shifts? Real men drive Mopars but your girlfriend could drive it. And run faster because she only weighs 110 lbs. And that's the point.
How can you run that fast right off the street at an NHRA track w/o a roll cage and maybe a parachute?

Imagine it's 1971 and they were testing a new factory Hemi Chally and it runs in the high 13's. Wow, groovy man.
Now on that day, imagine comparing that 1971 Hemi to a 1932 Supercharged Duesenberg side-by-side.
Comparing today's Hellcat to a 71 Hemi is similar. Makes the 71 car look kinda ugh.... quaint.
Time marches on.

Rumor has it the 2015 Mustang is not large enough to accept Ford's most powerful engine. Advantage Chrysler. GM can probably turn up the boost on their stuff to match the Hellcat.

Ralph supposedly drove that Sublime car to Carlisle from Detroit then absolutely roasted the Pirelli's. Lotta expensive smoke for the average Joe but it was priceless PR in front of the Mopar Nation. I can't stop grinning as it reminds me of the old days when Mopar did far more with less resources available. We were so good, Nascar and NHRA basically factored us right out of competition to make it fair for the other 2 guys.

Car payments? Check.
Warranty issues? OK.
Hello Allstate? I just bought a Hellcat.
Ouch. 1970 all over again.

The Hellcat is awsome and will cost a small fortune to own,sticker price,insurance,taxes will be putting me way out of being able to afford one but its still awsome.
It was in the video racing a 1970 Hemi Challenger,not a 71.

On a side note as I have been reading about these on many different websites and many have put down the guys that were in that video.I think it was smart as hell for Mopar to use Richard and Dennis as they own the record for the fastest time across this beautiful country and just ran what is being called the Fastest Muscle car right now,very smart marketing going on.

How can you run that fast right off the street at an NHRA track w/o a roll cage and maybe a parachute?

here ya go...

http://www.lsxtv.com/news/nhra-amends-roll-barcage-rules-for-08-later-street-vehicles/

The NHRA’s annual round of rule amendments to be included in the 2013 rulebook include a wide range of changes across every category in the sport, but one in particular is of rather great significance to street legal drag racers and the enthusiast community as a whole.

Recognizing the safety-inspired design and construction of today’s late model vehicles, the NHRA has actually rescinded its previous guidelines for street vehicles running 9.99 to 11.49 that required the use of a roll cage or roll bar, now permitting unaltered, 2008 and later model hard top vehicles to compete as they come from the factory without the addition of said roll bar/cage. The amendment, as its phrased in the NHRA’s 2012 to 2013 amendment document states:

NHRA DRAGS: STREET LEGAL STYLE PRESENTED BY AAA (Page xiv) (5th paragraph)
Additionally Requirements and specifications for Street Legal are the same as those for the Summit Racing Series with the following exception: Unaltered 2008 OEM model year and newer production cars running slower than 9.99 and 135 mph do not have to meet the requirements and specifications for the Summit Racing Series except for the following: Convertibles and T-tops must meet Summit Racing Series Roll Bar and Roll Cage requirements, All drivers must meet the Summit Racing Series Helmet and Protective Clothing requirements.”

This amendment is in fact a huge boon to the enthusiast community that’s been driven away from organized racing at NHRA member tracks in the past due to the costs of making their vehicles legal to compete. Cars like the 2013 GT500 Mustang and the Corvette ZR1 are capable of surpassing the 11.50 mark right off the showroom floor. We’ve yet to conclude the exact meaning behind the wording “unaltered” in the text and whether that refers to the vehicle frame or the existence of power adders and the iike.

These racers who previously had to slow their vehicles down or not show up at a track at all are now able to compete without the modifying their expensive factory cars, and regardless of who this new rule applies to and who it doesn’t, it certainly opens some racers up to visit a race track again.

I don't know about that. The GTO was pretty loaded up and is considered the original muscle car by many. Is a gtx a muscle car? They were pretty heavy on options. How about a convertible road runner, convertible gtx, convertible 340 dart or convertible r/t clallenger muscle cars? They weren't stripped down cars and sure weren't light compared to their hardtop counter parts.

Rich mans sports cars? What was $3400 like back then? Not so cheap from I am told. I was t around so I can't compare. I know a lot of guys that sure aren't rich driving new r/t challengers. (Yes the hellcat,Shelby and zl1 are pricer) It's a bad thing because stock modern muscle will not only out perform most classic muscle on the drag strip but also in the corners, stopping comfort, safety and economy? Some closed minded crazy thinking there. Or maybe it's a jealously of sorts, who knows. Modern muscle is the best of all worlds. Don't know how anyone could hate and not respect that.

AMEN!!!! all this hating and negativity I keep seeing and reading about the Hellcat and modern muscle in general, simply baffles me, and cracks me up all at the same time..

AMEN!!!! all this hating and negativity I keep seeing and reading about the Hellcat and modern muscle in general, simply baffles me, and cracks me up all at the same time..

This threads about the hellcat. I'm guessing the MINIMUM price will be 55,000, probably more. Go check out the who is buyying one thread. The majority of guys say they wish. Yes I understand how 3400 is equal to 22000, find me a new "muscle car" for 22000 by the way. Feel free to see what 55,000 in today's money would equal in the late sixties early 70s. It doesn't add up man. When it comes to pricing the most group of car to the muscle cars would be today's 4 bangers. That's why you see the majority of younger kids today driving them. It's my generations version of a muscle car. They were cheap, plentiful and had some
Power potential.

Unless the CPI calculator I use was wrong then 55,000 today would be right round 9000 in 1970. I have said this a million times. Drop the v6 cars down into the high teens and make the v8 cars go for low twenties. Then it will resemble the real muscle car prices.

No I am not mad because I can't afford one. If I had that sort of money to throw around the only American production car I would consider buyying is a boss.

The promo video with gas monkey tested the original Hemi Challenger vs the hellcat which is the modern Hemi + a supercharger. The only true way to test them equally is to have a supercharger on both hemi challengers. Have them both tested and tuned then run them and see the numbers

I was around when muscle cars were everywhere, and just about anyone could afford one. Checking the HEMI box on the order form was around $800.
Newer cars are more expensive today because we as Americans have allowed our US dollar to become worthless!
I won't be buying a Hellcat ( I rather enjoy driving the older A bodies) but I sure am glad Dodge is making the statement that a US company for the most part can still produce a car that kicks a$$.

This threads about the hellcat. I'm guessing the MINIMUM price will be 55,000, probably more. Go check out the who is buyying one thread. The majority of guys say they wish. Yes I understand how 3400 is equal to 22000, find me a new "muscle car" for 22000 by the way. Feel free to see what 55,000 in today's money would equal in the late sixties early 70s. It doesn't add up man. When it comes to pricing the most group of car to the muscle cars would be today's 4 bangers. That's why you see the majority of younger kids today driving them. It's my generations version of a muscle car. They were cheap, plentiful and had some
Power potential.

guys are getting new challengers for under 30k. within 5-7k is damn good for the car you are getting these days compared to the junk sold in 1069.

I was around when muscle cars were everywhere, and just about anyone could afford one. Checking the HEMI box on the order form was around $800.
Newer cars are more expensive today because we as Americans have allowed our US dollar to become worthless!
I won't be buying a Hellcat ( I rather enjoy driving the older A bodies) but I sure am glad Dodge is making the statement that a US company for the most part can still produce a car that kicks a$$.

dodge american??? its fiat man. nothing american about it..

calculator says that is about $5500 today. which is why not all that many hemis were built. that $800 back then was expensive. i don't think they were more affordable then. people lived different though. and i'm sure for a little while insurance was cheap. but that came to an end fast..lol

New cars come with power everything, AC, and don't forget all the safety stuff like airbags. Comparing an old car to a new car is not going to work.

I can name a great muscle car for $22,000 (probably less with the 2015 knocking on the door) The current V6 mustang. It's as fast as most anything from the 60's, out handles them all by leaps and bounds, and pulls down 30 mpg in the days of $4 gas. I think it looks quite nice as well. The Hellcat is cool but not 3 times the mustang cool, and not 2 kids through college cool. If you are a rich man who routinely drops $60k on toys, wake boats, jeep brutes, giant 5th wheels, and a monster diesel, fine, I'm sure it will give you hours of entertainment. For those in the real world how about a light rwd manual with the pentstar v6 for $20k? The 340 Duster of today.

-
Back