Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Thank-you.

And I apologize for taking over your thread..I should have started a new one but since you were talking about them :)

Ian.

Also, there is a drain that goes into the engine compartment from that takes care of any water that gets into the fresh air intake within the cowl. At least there is one on my '74 AC equipped car. It comes out of the bottom of the AC box, and I guess it takes care of the AC condensate too.

Attachments

• fresh air drain inside.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 992
Thank-you.

And I apologize for taking over your thread..I should have started a new one but since you were talking about them :)

Ian.

Don't, I am happy Bruce mentioned the splash shield idea....

Also, there is a drain that goes into the engine compartment from that takes care of any water that gets into the fresh air intake within the cowl. At least there is one on my '74 AC equipped car. It comes out of the bottom of the AC box, and I guess it takes care of the AC condensate too.

I had to look at out pictures of the engine bay when it was empty. No drain like you show on mine..and it isn't an aircon equipped car.

I think the splash shield route will be best way to go..I think with my MG, you could shove a wire down through the fresh air inlet directly into the drain pipe .

Thanks
ian.

These are the drain holes located on both sides of the cowl

Attachments

• drains.JPG
    90.6 KB · Views: 990
This is really great. And I just poke a wire up through and then try to vacuum the crap from the fresh air vent.

This is going on our "to do" list.

Many thanks.

It is 0 degrees tonight (32F) and going down tonight.

Ian.

Today was a great day! Finally got the underside of the roof. firewall and floor wire brushed and coated with rust reformer...

Hoping we can get her flipped up on her side so we can get the bottom done the same way and top coated with some flashy orange paint. I saw Orangetwist's build and we want Misty to have a classy underside like that.

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 896
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 907
  • photo 3 (2).JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 888
Looking great! A lot of progress. Having just got one out of paint I can tell you I know all about wanting to get some color on a car! Keep up the good work!

Another productive day! We managed to get both quarter panel skins off the car.
Also got the bottom wire brushed and primed from the back bumper to just past the rear axle. Progress!

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 874
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 955
  • photo 4 (2).JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 928
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 927
Deja Vu! Just went through most of this myself (minus the quarters) so I feel your pain! You are making some excellent progress!

Forward of the rear, the bottom of the car had all kinds of greasy crud all up the drive shaft tunnel and all over the bottom near the trans.
So I got some Tyvek coveralls, Gunk degreaser and Brake-Cleaner and headed under with lots of clean rags.
There is 22" clearance from the floor to the frame rails so I had some room to work.
I used the Gunk to get most of the heavy stuff off and followed up with the Brake-Cleaner.
I spent 4 hours or so and I'm happy with the results.
Ready for wirewheeling then primer and paint.
Going to paint the bottom the body color which after months of debate with my son, we have decided on E5 Rallye Red.
I finally convinced him we should paint the car a color that originally was available on a 1974 Plymouth Duster.

Attachments

• photo 2 (4).JPG
    82.1 KB · Views: 845
The tools of ignorance........

Attachments

• photo 1 (4).JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 847
Yeah, My wife gets crazy about washing any clothes that have crud from the car on them with any other laundry. So she insists that any clothing worn creeping around Misty be washed in their own load, forcing her or myself into additional work. Nobody wants that, so I got the Tyvek coveralls.
It's pretty cool how I used a very simple design for saw horses my Brother-in-law Mike used to use when he and me and my dad framed houses up in Sussex County.
I built a pair of horses that would sit under the front bumper brackets and under the rear bumper shocks of the car, with the legs directly under the points of support. The only thing I did different from the ones we would build to frame houses was I put a plywood ( in this case OSB gusset ) on the side of the horse legs that extended all the way to the floor, so there is no chance of spreading.
I Jacked the car from the differential housing to the full extent of my cheap Pep Boys floor jack and placed one horse under the rear bumper shocks.
Then I jacked the front from under the K Frame to the fullest extent of the jack, blocked the tires and blocked the jack 4" and got the car high enough to get the other horse under the front bumper brackets.
Keeping the car up in the air in this manner allows full access to the whole bottom without needing to work around jack stands. And I feel a lot safer being under the car knowing how well I built the supports....

saw horses

You can get really greasy overalls washed at the dry cleaners :)

Anyway, what I wanted to saw is that folks underestimate the strength of wood if you build something properly. Glad you used the plywood.

Ian.

Hey Ian, If I know anything, It's fabricating and building with wood.

The dry cleaners I go to would crap twice and die if I strolled in there with greasy coveralls.

How's the temperature up there these days my friend?

We are at a balmy 0 degrees C :) Still not time to take off the shorts .

I have done it now a couple of times with ours..from here on it, they should be a lot cleane..cannot beieve what they have gotten out of the fabric...do they wash them in varsol ?

Enjoying your thread...now get back to work !

ian

Got the rest of the underside cleaned primed and RED-Ready

Attachments

• photo 4 (3).JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 874
I've painted the town red a time or two, and this is a whole new experience but just as fun!

Attachments

• photo 1 (5).JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 862
  • photo 3 (4).JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 809
OK, I am now living vicariously..what should we do next ?

You know, I live only @ 950 miles from you...get by Bangor and straight down the I-95 S..

Wonder if the wife would miss me ? :)

Come on down, it's certainly warmer here...but look out we'll put you right to work!
My wife has been a saint through all of this! She's not accustomed to living in an automobile rehabilitation facility!
Tomorrow me and the boys are pouring a small concrete patio in our back yard, and then we'll get the rest of that bottom painted.
The plan is to put her back down on her wheels on Sunday so we can clean up and get the cowl repair done and prep the engine bay for paint.

I am told that I have to move all the parts to one are out of her sight. We have them spread from the dining room, living room and hallways. She is very tolerant but not for x-mas :) Going to put up a large list of parts to sell but making that list is a bugger.

Dish washers is broken..not good for a smooth sailing household :)

Take lots of pictures.

ian.

My Handy work for today.
Thought it would be nice to have a hard surface off our back door in our recently renovated house. I could not cope with the thought of shoveling snow off the gravel that was there.
Back to Misty tomorrow after I strip the forms......

Attachments

• photo 1 (6).JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 860
  • photo 2 (6).JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 844
While I was moving stuff around looking for my floats and edgers to pour my concrete today I had to move my tires and wheels.
I wanted to know if anyone know what my rear wheels are?
The PO said they are police wheels, but I dont think they are.
Some else said they are off a Lil Red Express Truck
They are 15" large bolt pattern and 8-1/4" total width and measure 4-1/2" from where they touch the hub to the back edge of the wheel.
They have 255/60R15 tires on them.
I like the way the cars sits with this wheel/tire combo.
Is it possible to get a 15" Rallye wheel in that size or something close that will take that tire and offer the same clearances?

On the front of the car are 14" Rallye wheels 6-1/2" total width and a 4" backspace. The front tires are 245/60R14

Click this link. This tune always makes me think about long drives and the stuff you think about when your alone with your thoughts...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkiLR5Ehys"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONkiLR5Ehys[/ame]

Attachments

• photo 1 (7).JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 777
  • photo 4 (4).JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 785
-
Back