Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
The rears are sure looking like police wheels. Just bought a set myself. I thought the back space on the steel wheels was 4 7/8 though.

I just ran a straight edge across the back edge of the wheel and put a tape measure up to the back of one of the bolt holes. I'll re measure.
Doesn't really matter though I need a Rallye close to this size for the finished product.

In the spirit of the Holiday I am thankful my darling wife is not at home today to yell at me about the house smelling like paint!

I'm really happy with the way the bottom is turning out, and hope to get her back down on her wheels to get the engine bay prepped and then get the small piece of cowl graft done.

Attachments

• b1.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • b3.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,076
  • rear bottom.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,081
One more of the E5 looking from the firewall back. Yes it's true as seen in the above pic, my family vehicle is a Chevy Suburban, and like all members of the family except me, the car has been named by my wife, and her name is "Winter"

Attachments

• bftb.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 968
Thanks, I saw a great bottom paint job on another build and I said to my son we needed to get the body color on the bottom of our project. The fuel and brake lines are in place and I plan to unclip them and detail them in an epoxy argent brush on paint when the motor and trans go in and we install the exhaust. That's a task that's way off in the future. For now we know the bottom has a nice finish and when we get our motor and trans in there will be a finished product above it. As I said before we are happy with how it turned out.

Just thought I'd check in on your progress "DusterDaddy" and all I can say is , "WOW"! Misty's looking GOOOOOD ! ... Those rear wheels you have "are" cop wheels and the front as you know are rally's .

Oh Yah , I almost forgot . Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours .

The paint looks great, that had to be really hard to do since the car is low to the ground.
What type and brand of paint did you use?

The paint looks great, that had to be really hard to do since the car is low to the ground.
What type and brand of paint did you use?

It wasn't too bad, on average it's about 2 feet off the floor. When we decided to do it I went out looking for a good degreaser, and I found a guy at the local Napa who gave me some good advice, "make sure it's clean" which I knew but suggested a light coat of Gunk, wipe off with rags then spray the whole thing down with brakeclean, then wipe down with lacquer thinner.

Then I coated the whole thing with Rustoleum Rustreformer, after the 24 hour cure time I primed it with Spraymax single-stage primer.

We were going to paint the car Vitamin C, so I had 4 cans of Spraymax 2K of that color, not wanting to waste it I dusted the bottom with it. Then I top coated it with Spraymax 2K single stage urethane Rallye Red E5, the whole thing took 6 cans.

I don't have a compressor suited to spray, and adding a hose into the mix and running over it with the creeper would have sucked so the Spraymax system was great to use on a creeper. Thank God for my Tyvek coveralls, mask and goggles

It took a day to clean it, half a day to do the Rustreformer, half a day to prime and dust coat, then half a day to top coat it.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 959
  • photo (4).JPG
    28 KB · Views: 1,030
Got to get the garage cleaned and straightened up today.
Might leave the car up off her wheels and take a stab at removing the front suspension for cleaning, painting and replacing anything worn out. Need to read up on that removal process.

Cannot figure out why our thanksgivings are different dates..

Here is a small joke for father / son projects....just about killed me when I saw it..if you find it offensive, I will remove it..

son%20and%20dad-XL.jpg

Cannot figure out why our thanksgivings are different dates..

Here is a small joke for father / son projects....just about killed me when I saw it..if you find it offensive, I will remove it..

son%20and%20dad-XL.jpg

Not offended in any way. I worked with my dad too, at home and in a family business. Anything that comes my way from my son now is well deserved.
Thanks for the post Ian!
I need to get info from you about the replacement collar to convert my steering column to a floor shift style

Cleaning up the garage today and hung up some parts I'll use later on in the project which led me to a question.

Did Chrysler build anything with a 318 in it that had a 4 barrel carburetor on it from the factory?

I think I read somewhere that some of their police cruisers had 318's in them.

I picked this air cleaner up from a FABO member for my project. He didn't know what it was from and I wonder what it may have been on from the factory. It says 360 four barrel on it, but it has a round snorkel opening.

I'm also curious what if any call out lettering would have been on a 318 4 barrel air cleaner housing?

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 960
  • photo 2.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • photo 1.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 920
The breather had a black plastic type hose on it that ran to the rad support for fresh air.

262169850_5878277877.jpg

url

Since I have a small work space I had to clean and organize today.
Much easier to get around the car now, not to mention walking through the garage

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 964
Great progress, Double D!
Bottom looks really, really good. I am torn between covering up my beautiful Smoke Gray with rustproofing or let it shine as-is. It really looks good; like yours.
Keep on with the progress!:D

I stumbled on a gray/silver metallic duster with black stripes and fell in love instantly...but the kids are hooked on purple..which I like as well. I had an MG that was pewter metallic... I am now going into exams now...would rather be wrenching..

keep up the posts so I can live vicariously..

Ian :)

This week it's time to fix this.

Attachments

• cowl.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 951
I was able to find a guy who had a chunk of cowl and I got what i needed to make the repair. I cut out the outer cowl to get at the rusted out inner section near the air intake hole

Attachments

• more inner.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 965
I was able to make the patch from the inner cowl piece I obtained

Attachments

• patch.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 878
  • patch2.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 831
Tomorrow the inner repair will get spot welded in and sealed with this fabulous 3M marine urethane sealant. Used this stuff to seal my floorpan edges. It's fabulous

Attachments

• photo 4 (5).JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 859
I know these pictures aren't good, but I am very happy with the fit of the patch on the inner cowl, and the urethane adhesive/sealant is fantastic!

Attachments

• photo 2 (8).JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 866
Very nice. Keep up the good work. Besides keeping out water, obviously, any other benefits to the sealer?

-
Back