Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
It bonds painted or bare metal and fiberglass so well it's amazing.
It is available in fast or long cure versions. $12 a tube but worth every penny.

A better view of where the patch was done. The car sat leaning to the right for years and the cowl rusted out here.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 940
We had some time this evening so I cut the outer cowl patch in and adjusted the fit.
Got a few tack welds to hold it in place and wouldn't you know I ran out of flux core welding wire. I wrap it up tomorrow...

Attachments

• photo 1 (10).JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,004
  • photo 2 (10).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 971
Since my welds are less than beautiful and I worry about pin holes, I have been squeegeeing seam filler over my welds after a 90% grind down. Then I grind them down the rest of the way when it cures, then apply filler.
I'll keep 2 300 watt lamps on tonight close to the work to keep it warm so the sealer will cure although the garage will get a bit chilly tonight.
Got to keep the progress going

Attachments

• cowl sealer.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 901
Makes it an easy Christmas..

1476418_699701320063805_513677874_n-XL.png

Skimmed and ready for a second lift.
Slow but sure, a little every day

Attachments

• first filler coat.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 872
What I'd like to know is how all you Jersey guys keep working when I know you're getting the same bullshit weather we are? Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age, I dunno....:sad3:

What I'd like to know is how all you Jersey guys keep working when I know you're getting the same bullshit weather we are? Maybe I'm just getting soft in my old age, I dunno....:sad3:

My Garage is attached and insulated. It never gets below 40 in there and when I get all my 300 watt work lights going it gets to be a balmy 55...

Keep in mind I am a sledgehammer mechanic and we figure stuff out as we go. There is always an experiment to be done and something we can do that will get Misty closer to roaring back to life.......

Makes it an easy Christmas..

1476418_699701320063805_513677874_n-XL.png

Ill take an autographed photo of Nova Scotia's own Kim Stockwood and a pair of quarter panel skins for Misty..And of course a kiss under the mistletoe from my sweetheart of 21 years, my very patient tolerant wife Stacy.:love9::love9:

You are close..Kim Stockwood was born in St. John's, Newfoundland. She is a Newfie :)
Well now I feel like a horses ***....
I did a short Holiday tour with her when I worked for Arista records a million years ago... She was a doll! Thanks for setting me straight!

Attachments

• kim.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 891
Don't feel bad..the 4 Atlantic provinces stick pretty close together.. I was going to mention that the lead singer of April Wine was a Nova Scotian (Miles Goodwyn) but he is actually from NB but the band started in NS (actually in a suburb of Halifax). Ya learn something every day. BTW, April Wine had 17 platinum albums (I think) but never really broke into the american market.

She's always there, doesn't get jealous if you can't make time for her.
She just waits patiently, knowing I'll be shopping at Summit Racing to pick up a little something for her to make up for my inattention ........

Attachments

• patient misty.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 866
Wanted to get Something done on Misty today so after we watched the Jets loose to the Panthers, out to the garage we went. We degreased and cleaned the bottom of the car prior to painting but held off on the engine bay since the car was 2 feet off the ground.
So we got out the rags and the Gunk and I went under on the creeper and Aaron worked it from the top. Grease and grime came off pretty well. One thing we discovered as we cleaned up the Gunk residue with Brake-clean was that the spatter paint a previous owner sprayed in the bay liquefied when the brake-clean hit it, and we could wipe it right off.
Of course we ran out of brake-clean before we finished but we got a good jump on it anyway.

Attachments

• photo 2 (11).JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 845
We've got one of these fancy decals inbound from Pentastar Parts and Restorations in Australia for my stock looking single snorkle air cleaner.
I dig it :burnout:

And maybe Santa will bring Misty four of these killer spoke wheels if he can figure out who makes them...

Attachments

• pie pan decal.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 810
  • cool wheels.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 847
We've got one of these fancy decals inbound from Pentastar Parts and Restorations in Australia for my stock looking single snorkle air cleaner.
I dig it :burnout:

And maybe Santa will bring Misty four of these killer spoke wheels if he can figure out who makes them...

Those look like billet specialties street light series ...... been looking at those for my duster :)

i was thinking about your project while floating around in my hot tun with snow gently falling from the sky...

Like the wheels but the old time cragars still pull at the heart strings..

Are side pipes on you wish list from santa ?

I had Thrush side pipes on my first car. It was a 69 Barracuda. Had a bone stock 318, 2 bbl when I got it.

I just hacked up the Y pipe and rigged them up with flexible pipe! I didn't have time to do it right, but as it turned out I had enough time to do it twice. They looked and sounded cool but I would never have side pipes or even headers for that matter on a street cruiser. The ground clearance issues alone made me crazy.....But that was 37 years ago!

Back to today, I was able to finish cleaning the bay and get it primed this evening.

Color goes on this weekend. The Rallye Red can be seen peeking out from the bottom in the 2 following pictures.....

Attachments

• bay2.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 827
  • bay1.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 851
Great work. That is one bright red. Gonna get a speeding ticket in park!

We think it's going to look awesome in Red with Black stripes! I'm already working with Gary the Stripe Dude and they are going to be great!

Aaron and I were able to sand and prime the bottoms of our hood and deck lid today!

Also shot some single stage on the passenger hood hinge spring area as a test for doing the engine compartment tomorrow....

Attachments

• deck and hood back prime.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 826
  • hinges single stage.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 803
We also are going to do some Twister graphics and mix it up a bit with tail panel stripes fashioned after the 71 style even though ours is a '74. We are going to have the horizontal tail stripes end under the side of the tail light assembly or we may have them end a half inch away from the side of the tail light. Also going to use the Duster Tornado Graphic with appropriately sized Twister text on the tail panel to take the place of the 340 on the example.....But I am getting so far ahead of myself it's ridiculous!

Attachments

• twister tail panel stripe.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 806
We really took advantage of the warm weather this weekend!
Got the color on the underside of the hood and deck lid and got the engine compartment painted as well. We didn't want to remove the aluminum foil masking till morning....

This really is a moral booster for my son! :goodman:

Afterwords, we needed to squeeze all the "real life stuff" back into the garage when we were done.
On to the door edges and jambs next while we wait for Santa to bring us quarter panels...:clock:

Attachments

• jammed garage.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 839
  • Aaron hood.JPG
    100.9 KB · Views: 817
  • engin bay.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 843
  • best back deck.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 763
  • back hood.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 822
-