Fck my life....

-
pioneer bushing ?
The bushing or pump is bad, or something is in the pump. I built a brass rod pump primer w/ a piece of allen wrench brazed to it about 47 yrs ago, before I ever heard anything about priming a hemi pump. I let it go w/ the race car when I sold out , still worked then . Surely u at least turned the pump by hand to see if it would pick up oil !!

70 bucks of Joe gibs break in oil. Oil pan gasket. pull engine. 85 dollar HV pump

Good times
I got a new HV pump here I’ll never use. It’s been hooked up to our pressure tester and inspected. $65 shipped as long as your not in Croatia or something lol.

I learned this at the track... Use a fresh black trash bag (something heavy) and line the drain pan with it. Drop the oil into it. When you're ready, sinp the corner of the bag to fill it back up.
Sucks that it happened. Least you did it while it is on the stand...

70 bucks of Joe gibs break in oil. Oil pan gasket. pull engine. 85 dollar HV pump

Good times
Drain the oil out and put it back in. Nothing lost but time, a gasket and some pride. This is a teachable moment. I Didn't take mine apart but I did stick the priming shaft in and spin it over. I knew it wasn't locked up. Question. New bushing?

Bushing was new.

Problem solved today. Old one out, new one in and back after it.

Just my pride hurt...

Unknown. Maybe just danced it' last disco, or the pump was tight. The pump seemed fine but is now in the steel bin.

Tool could have been junk too. Break in oil and a hv pump takes some power to turn. Easy for a cheap hex shaft to snap.

Had a cheap vice once, clamped down on something really right, snapped a jaw right off! Found a small steel spring at the fracture that never melted during casting

Tool could have been junk too. Break in oil and a hv pump takes some power to turn. Easy for a cheap hex shaft to snap.

Had a cheap vice once, clamped down on something really right, snapped a jaw right off! Found a small steel spring at the fracture that never melted during casting

I've found some unmelted ball bearings in some broken Chinese junk before. That's a classic. I'm all for using scrap but you have to make sure it's done correctly.

I had that issue, I used a 1/4 drive extension welded a allen bit/socket to the end, didn’t want it to come off. So I’m done priming and pull out the extension and sure enough the allen bit part stays in the pump!!!!! Wtf!!!!! Arggggggg!! So I put the remaining end in my vise and give it just enough crush so I can tap it back on the hex and out it came. Tacked them together with the mig.

One way to look at it...........you are lucky this didn't happen going down the freeway at 80

Getting the car to run with a power drill where the distributor should go would be very hard...
:)

Musta been a vise from Lowes !! Ask me why I say that !

I worried about that on my first prime of my 273 build. I built a one piece shaft with the drive end ground into the shaft. I tested the whole outfit on an old pump I had laying around. I built a stabilizer plate so the prime shaft wouldn't scar the bushing and it all worked well.

-
Back