Feature Magazine Coverage for Scrapyard Scamp

-
While it's not something I would have done (or honestly even considered) it's too bad the haters can't stop long enough to consider the time/thought/engineering skills and knowledge required to pull this off. And on top of that, to end up with a reliable, apparently fun to drive car.

Giant props to those involved for their skill, knowledge, and craftsmanship.

That is one of the toughest motors out there. Please explain!
crap not due to quality. I'm just not much for non mopar power in a mopar. I was born in Detroit and raised NOT to do this. The guy clearly knows how to build a car but being in Detroit this is not acceptable. Other parts of the country, maybe.

Guys,

I'm proud to report that an A Body Mopar will be featured in a magazine that we don't ever get much press in. While I can't reveal the book just yet it is an honor to get press on the car and hopefully it will serve as a big thanks to Tim Skardoutous, (Forced 340), Peter Bergman, Bergman Autocraft, (GMachineDartGT), Greg Banish, (My Calibration Partner) and Clark Peterson, who worked with me to build the car. This was a hard job to do in a short space of time and Tim's fabbing skills made the car possible.

It's been a long and stressful year only to have to press the Scamp into tour duty this June with HRPT, Long Haul, 1,600 Miles @ Car Craft Nationals, Woodward Cruise with another Southern tour coming in September for Nopi, and Fram customer visits. I've resisted the huge temptation of dragstrips, dynos and big boost so we could focus on making the car work as a car and to do that I've been driving it daily to smooth out the rough edges. Believe me, it's the little things that take you forever because they need to be thought out.

So far 26-27 mpg on the freeway on tour is a frequent reality, and 20-21 in mixed commuting is usual. Performance at even 11 psi is great and
the handling beyond impressive. Without Bergman's suspension the car wouldn't be capable of the long legged Toyota which loves 4-7K rev ranges under boost.

I hope the press coverage makes us all proud no matter what you think of my foreign engine swap as there is really more Mopar DNA in this car than Toyota DNA! I will announce the book when we get closer to press time.

scamp%20%28Small%29.jpg

interior%20%28Small%29.jpg

gauges%20%28Small%29.jpg

As soon as i read NOPI, i knew it had to have a foreign engine in it. Not my cup o tea, but it can easily be modified back to good ole american V8 power with a different K frame. Nice scamp, congrats on your build, better than it being crushed out. I will stick with the gutteral roar of an uncorked V8 tho. Must be something primal inside me loves that sound over a shrill inline six that sounds like an old chevy 250 straight 6 with its muffler cut off, coupled with a loud popping blow off valve. I must be getting old.

crap not due to quality. I'm just not much for non mopar power in a mopar. I was born in Detroit and raised NOT to do this. The guy clearly knows how to build a car but being in Detroit this is not acceptable. Other parts of the country, maybe.

people that think like this once thought the world was flat too.

i argee with the guy that says nice car but crap engine.

Hey, if you wanna pitch hit for the other hater, answer my questions, beyond that you dislike the 2JZ for BS patriotic reasons. Reasons, I might add, that no longer exist in this country. The manufacturer of that engine makes more cars in the US than your precious Chrysler, these days. So you can all drop the patriot act. It doesn't fly anymore. You don't have to take my word for it. Bone up on Google and DIY, if you don't want to believe me.

Throw your hate at the politicians, lobbyists and American manus for deserting Detroit and leave small business owners and hobbyists alone.

Part of my motivation in building the Scamp was to reach out to the 20 something "tuner" crowd who are driving imports. The 2JZ is certainly not on everyone's hit list of cool engines for their next Mopar build. But for 2 minutes please realize that I'm trying to lift our cars above "retro" just enough to get our cars into the minds of younger up and coming car crafters. Think of it this way. Why should all the Ford and Chevy guys be allowed to have cool and different swaps?

I get the feeling that if I don't boost this engine up to 700 RWHP I'll keep getting peanut gallery comments from those who refuse to read between the lines. Here I am twisting a Twin Turbo 6 to nearly 7K confidently every morning with our products on board. As a guy who built this car with his own money to help market his company's products I'm trying to rally customers as well as coworkers. Without the 2JZ underhood people would just pass the car up guys at the road shows. And that's ZERO slam to a kickbutt 340 or B/RB late model Hemi swap because stoplight to stoplight those are some damn fast combinations that I'm not sure I can beat.

Now, who wants to swap a modded 350 hp VW TDI into an A-Body next?

I think the engine is amazing. I've had plenty of experience with Supras and I know what they are capable of doing.

I have the ability and have every intention to dropping an import I6 into my '68 Charger.

IMG_4382.JPG

I'd love to get it into a magazine. Starting a trend is never a bad thing, Dave.
Again, excellent work and awesome choice on the powerplant.

I'm not going to go all high and mighty and say imports in an American car is a obamanation, see what I did there, I will say that 99 out of 100 times I truly despise seeing other brands mixed, I hate a cummins in a ford, I hate a chebby in a ford roadster, I hate a sbc in anything but a chebby, or a mopar for that matter. I truly appreciate the work you did and I won't crap on you for an out of the box idea, whether I like it or not should not take away from your build. Very impressive build. I won't say crap motor because its not I won't say better off being scrapped because no one truly believes that, everyone is entitled to there own opinion but don't shyt on the guy for a clean build.

Right!

Although, I've never understood the brand OCD thing.

Throw the whole obvious element of disrespect out the window and chew on this thought;

On one end, I see that it comes from following a brand that carries a preferred design.

On the other end, why not just throw the idea out the window and follow the design, itself?

In this case, Dave did just that. He took what he liked. Function and aesthetics were all edited by his eye and work.

In the end, speaking of this group of individuals, we're all just human beings, playing with metal objects, so why not just live life and enjoy it, rather than complicate it with negative reasons that have no physical application in the end result?

Street rods, complete customs, one off builds, concepts, restoring original works... It's all cool to me. The idea is in the art and the artist's idea.

Sharing that idea is why I'm in it. I want to see what people can do with their efforts, in lots of ways, even outside of the car world. I mess with pinball machines, toys, furniture, illustration, bikes, antiques, you name it... I love seeing new ideas more than anything. Even restoring an old idea/ car is done to preserve it's state, when it was a new idea.

Follow the creator. Never the brand.

Nice workmanship. Interior is well thought out.
Brand loyalty is an interesting thing. Its counterpart does not exist.

Right!

Although, I've never understood the brand OCD thing.

Throw the whole obvious element of disrespect out the window and chew on this thought;

On one end, I see that it comes from following a brand that carries a preferred design.

On the other end, why not just throw the idea out the window and follow the design, itself?

In this case, Dave did just that. He took what he liked. Function and aesthetics were all edited by his eye and work.

In the end, speaking of this group of individuals, we're all just human beings, playing with metal objects, so why not just live life and enjoy it, rather than complicate it with negative reasons that have no physical application in the end result?

Street rods, complete customs, one off builds, concepts, restoring original works... It's all cool to me. The idea is in the art and the artist's idea.

Sharing that idea is why I'm in it. I want to see what people can do with their efforts, in lots of ways, even outside of the car world. I mess with pinball machines, toys, furniture, illustration, bikes, antiques, you name it... I love seeing new ideas more than anything. Even restoring an old idea/ car is done to preserve it's state, when it was a new idea.

Follow the creator. Never the brand.

This is a Pride in Detroit thing, nothing more. That is the way it is here and I cant expect people who don't live or haven't ever lived here to understand.

I've been to colorado. Lots of Subarus. Very not Michigan.

It takes courage to be different! Nothing wrong with that. I really like the cluster! What gauges and housing did you use?

Looks like a nice car. Can't wait to see the article. Don't pay attention to the haters. A nice well done car, is always awsome. Might not be your Preferance, but awsome anyway.

This is a Pride in Detroit thing, nothing more. That is the way it is here and I cant expect people who don't live or haven't ever lived here to understand.

I've been to colorado. Lots of Subarus. Very not Michigan.

Pride in detroit ?!?

That place is a bombed out hell. All the liberals taking from the working folks to give to those who dont work, coupled with all the craziness of the UAW to force american car makers to their knees. Its no wonder those with the means to move away, and the smarts to leave did so. Thank the devilcrats and almost 50 years of them running that city coupled with the UAW for what it has become today. Detroit, enter at your own risk. Thanks devilcrats and UAW we sure appreciate what y'all did for detroit all these years.

-
Back