Felt doughnut on balancer

-
I had one on my 340 that was put on like the pics show,was planning on reinstalling in same place,but now not so sure.

Time will tell with it. Truck only gets 7-10k a year so it should last till I pop this engine.

Why would you want to?
Because I have a balancer that has provisions for such a part. No reason not to.
From what research I have done I have found that it serves two purposes: Keeping dust away from the seal and wicking very small amounts of oil seepage found around the seal.

Because I have a balancer that has provisions for such a part. No reason not to.
From what research I have done I have found that it serves two purposes: Keeping dust away from the seal and wicking very small amounts of oil seepage found around the seal.
If it cost money there is a reason not to. IMO. But it is yours so have at it.

The whole kit is fairly cheap at advance auto. I think it was $15 after my speed perks coupon.

IIRC it's used inside of the timing cover in front of the oil slinger....

I'm pretty sure it isn't intended for inside. Why would anyone want to put something like that inside when it can disintegrate and make it's way through the oiling system.

At least that's my thought process.

Our mighty Mopar engines were use as industrial engines such as, airport vacs and sweeps, welders, pumps, air compressors, combines and tractors engines. Most of these were used in extreme conditions, and felt washer proved to needed in this area. Needed on the car or truck......your choice, if its in the kit that I purchased why not use it, its there.

Every engine I worked on for 40 years or so used these inside the timing cover...keeps oil from weeping out the front seal...no useful purpose if the oil is already out of the seal. Installing it in front of the oil slinger sandwiches it between the timing gear and front cover. The oil splashes it a bit and keeps the fibers intact...the heat also helps.

The timing cover seals used to also be made of felt.

But what do I know.... I'm still a rookie. Did my first valve job on a Buick straight 8 in 1958 when I was nine years old so I'm still learning.

Last edited:
This thread is a couple years old but here’s some information. I too was confused by the felt “donut” so I searched and came up with this thread. Most everybody leaned to putting it on the outside but there were a few who were animate that went inside between the oil slinger and the backside of the case. I didn’t find the definitive answer I was looking for.

I called the Felpro tech line and spoke with Eric. He says it’s a dust shield that goes between the rear of the harmonic balancer and the front of the case. It’s designed for heavy dust applications but fine to use in everyday situations.

I hope this helps for those with similar questions.

This thread is a couple years old but here’s some information. I too was confused by the felt “donut” so I searched and came up with this thread. Most everybody leaned to putting it on the outside but there were a few who were animate that went inside between the oil slinger and the backside of the case. I didn’t find the definitive answer I was looking for.

I called the Felpro tech line and spoke with Eric. He says it’s a dust shield that goes between the rear of the harmonic balancer and the front of the case. It’s designed for heavy dust applications but fine to use in everyday situations.

I hope this helps for those with similar questions.
God I thought we cleared that up along time ago. However I want to say you went about getting the correct information the right way. Good job.

-
Back