Fender Tag Advice If You Please...

-

Toxic'Cuda

Reaction score
How'dee all,

I have a situation that I would like some advice on when it comes to possibilities... and the possibility of it.

I bought what was advertised as a 68' Formula-S 340 Notchback Barracuda off of a guy near me... First off & upfront. I purchased the car eagerly because of my first MoPaR love, being my 68' Charger R/T was totaled on me by a drunk who lost control on my damn street! My second love was always a 68' Notchback Barracuda. Well one day out on the bike with the Misses we passed one for sale. Upon looking at it I could barely keep my jaw dry. It was written up as a 68' Formula-S 340, 4-Speed Notchback. All of which were present. I checked out the VIN and it was as stated. 68' Deluxe Model Notch'r with the 340 & 4-speed...which was sold as a Formula-S. I bought the car and realized later that the fender tag was no where to be found.

My needed advice is to the possibility that I could find a fender tag from another Formula-S 340 4-speed Notch'r and whether or not it would matchup with the car? I am lucky enough to have an All Mopar junkyard local to me. With several Notch'rs handy...some of which are Formula's.

Thanks for any and all advice...

pull the back seat out and look for a broadcast sheet. they have also been found in bucket seat backs, on the top of glove box liners, under the carpet, in the headliner.

A fender tag from one car will never match up with another car.

If you can document it, and maybe find the build sheet, you might be able to have a replacement made...MIGHT? There are sources for that, but we need to keep scammers at bay for these cars. Not implying anything towards you, but some unscrupulous people will try to create a car that really didn't exist. Sad, but true.

I checked out the VIN and it was as stated. 68' Deluxe Model Notch'r with the 340 & 4-speed...which was sold as a Formula-S. I bought the car and realized later that the fender tag was no where to be found.

My needed advice is to the possibility that I could find a fender tag from another Formula-S 340 4-speed Notch'r and whether or not it would matchup with the car? I am lucky enough to have an All Mopar junkyard local to me. With several Notch'rs handy...some of which are Formula's.

Thanks for any and all advice...

1st. The vin only tells you if it had a 340. It does NOT tell you if it had a 4 speed.

2nd. The fender tag from another car will not match your car because the body number, listed on the fender tag will not match your body number (which is stamped in several places, around the car,on a 68 ).

I started on 'ell of a flame war over at Moparts a couple years ago when I suggested that fender tags are right up there on the importance level as the VIN. Someone was talking about how they "collected" fender tags.

I started on 'ell of a flame war over at Moparts a couple years ago when I suggested that fender tags are right up there on the importance level as the VIN. Someone was talking about how they "collected" fender tags.

in my case, I`d like to have a fender tag to match my build. just for the kicks of it,the real mopar people would know better. it would never be sold as something it isn`t, because they never made anything like mine in 68---------------bob

I would expect it to be pretty difficult to find a fender tag for any 68 340 4sp Notch considering only 351 were built. Curious to hear if you can locate the build sheet. It's usually under the back seat or I've heard of people finding them in the headliner.

As stated you have to find the broadcast sheet if no fender tag is present. If you do find the BC sheet verify it matches the car. If all is good you can contact datatags and see if they will create you a new fender tag with the data you have. You will need to supply them with photos of vin, body tags and broadcast sheet with options. If you can not supply that then it is a no go. They will not build tags for dream cars to protect the hobby.

If it were a 67 or earlier you can order a build card from Chrysler Historical. For 68 up you can not as there was a fire in the archive and the water damage was extensive so that why you can only get up to 67.

Having a tag made with no documentation will be pretty difficult. That being said, you could have a "bogus" tag made. A couple years back at the FAST class races at US131, the fella with the black 69 Road Runner had a bogus tag that said something like "11 second Fast class". I don't quite remember but it was very clever. A 68 tag would be a bit more difficult, but that's an option.

Collecting fender tags would be good for only 1 thing.. If one gathered examples of all the various character stamps the could recreate the stamps and recreate fender tags for any build.
I'm pretty sure that service is available today somewhere.

I'd like to Thank all of you for your input!

Truth be told, I'm not actually worried about keeping it stock where as I'm changing the Color of the exterior & interior. I wanted the car because, as I stated, it was one of my favorite models. I bought it to drive and enjoy. Not as monetary gain. When I purchased the car it had already begun a restoration and as such the interior had already been pulled out. And as for the fender tag, it was missing do to the rivet section having some cancer. It either fell out on the road, or was removed and misplaced. I just wanted a tag in place for appearance. I, as you all do, LoVe MoPaR's! And as such, we all know that a fender tag is part of the visual eye candy under the hood...

Thanks Again...

I thought I would send a shot of where my 'Cuda stands...

It was originally blue, but the images below are what I've always wanted and hope to do... along with replacing the dark green interior with White. And not pearl white of '68 but the white white of later models. I borrowed some images on line and colored them myself for visual purposes only. Its a version of Black Cherry I found on House of Kolor.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 024.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 148
  • a.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 149
  • b.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 152
  • c.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 148
I really like that paint color.
I've never like white interior though unless its benches. The short back buckets look too much like toilets in white. sorry
Argent silver vinyl over black would look good in that car. Easier to do a more modern more comfortable fabric too.

I thought I would send a shot of where my 'Cuda stands...

It was originally blue, but the images below are what I've always wanted and hope to do... along with replacing the dark green interior with White. And not pearl white of '68 but the white white of later models. I borrowed some images on line and colored them myself for visual purposes only. Its a version of Black Cherry I found on House of Kolor.

Buy the way...

Congrats on finding a cool rare car. I also have an original 68 340, 4 speed Notch. I've only seen two others in person. Both green cars, one in Canada and the other from NJ and now in Northern California. Maybe you can get it together enough for a trip to Carlisle this summer.

Yeah...

I don't see that happening by next summer... Except for a couple of toilet jobs, I've been basically job'less for the last 17 months!

I've kept talking myself out of just throwing it back together, but I don't want to do that. I want to put it together the way I want... "The Right Way." A little at a time unfortunately... Currently I have the entire undercarriage replaced with new everything... From gas tank to front disc & calipers.

'Toxic...

-
Back