Fender tag theft in calgary

-

Jason Cunningham

Reaction score
What an afternoon. One of my car buddies and I went to REGAL AUCTIONS in Calgary,Alberta,Canada, to look at some repossesed Mopars, that are being auctioned off soon. One of the cars was an FE5 71 340 Demon. Bro and I decoded the vin, and FENDER TAG, checked the numbers on the rad support, etc. This JERK OFF walks up to us and says, "LOTS OF GUYS ARE GONNA BE BIDDING ON THIS DEMON", and saying lots of other stupid crap, trying to DETER us from the car. We walked away, SHAKING OUR HEADS AT THIS IDIOT. We looked at some late model trucks and stuff for about 5 minutes, before deciding to LEAVE. As we walked by the DEMON again, we went over to look at it again. The HOOD was up. My Bro pointed at WHERE THE FENDER TAG WAS SCREWED DOWN 5 minutes ago, and SAID TO ME, "ITS GONE !!!!! I got excited and said, KIND OF LOUDLY, "THAT C.S STOLE IT" We walked away from the car, WONDERING WHAT TO THINK. Bro and I got pissed of and decided to go get the guys that run the place, and tell them what happened. As I looked over my shoulder, I noticed the guys legs were sticking out from UNDER THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE DEMON. All of the sudden, he jumps out from under the car, and DISSAPEARS into ROWS AND ROWS of other vehicles. HE HEARD US, and KNEW WE WERE ON TO HIM !!!! So we go get the auction staff, and about 5 of us PUT IT ON HIM. He was visibly scared, but kept his cool. DENIED IT, and even went as far as INSINUATING that WE STOLE THE TAG. My Bro and I suggested that we ALL GO INTO THE OFFICE and STRIP DOWN to our BARE ASSES if NEED BE. THE THIEF REFUSED. I could tell that the OWNER OF THE AUCTION was starting to WORRY ABOUT possible LEGAL REPRECUSSIONS, and just kicked the guy off the premises, and TOLD HIM NOT TO COME BACK. The owner asked us HOW BIG OF A DEAL THE MISSING TAG WAS. We told him that the car had just been DEVALUED by thousends of DOLLARS. This DEMON is an ORIGINAL PAINT SURVIVOR !!!!! WE HAVE SEEN THIS THIEF AROUND THE CAR SCENE IN CALGARY. He drives a GOLD 1970 SPORT SATTELLITE, 383 with DARK GREY TORQUE THRUST WHEELS. It is NOT my style to INFORM on people, BUT I BELIEVE WE DID THE RIGHT THING !!!!!! Now all he needs to do is SEND ONE OF HIS SKETCHY BUDDIES OVER THERE TO BUY IT. Anyways, ARSEHOLES LIKE HIM are the reason that SOME OF THE FUN in this HOBBY, has been STOLEN from ALL OF US. KEEP IT REAL, BROTHERS AND SISTERS !!!!!!!

You did the right thing its unfortunate that the guys running the show didn't check him before releasing him.Mine got stolen when it was getting shipped to Australia as from when i got it inspected lucky i had the photos of the car and tag and got another made as it put me out of pocket $240 bucks. They are scum bags!!

maybe there is still a build sheet. i dont see what the purpose of jacking a fender tag is. the VIN # is stamped right on it

maybe there is still a build sheet. i dont see what the purpose of jacking a fender tag is. the VIN # is stamped right on it
In an auction-he has the ace.Noone else has the fender tag.It is worth thousands less to anyone else.He can overbid everyone else,when he wins all he has to do is screw the tag back on.To a numbers guy makes a lot of difference.

Y'all should buy it and resell it to him for a profit. Give him no wiggle room.

In an auction-he has the ace.Noone else has the fender tag.It is worth thousands less to anyone else.He can overbid everyone else,when he wins all he has to do is screw the tag back on.To a numbers guy makes a lot of difference.

i gotchya on the bidding war , now i see

I bet no matter who he sends he will be watching from nearby with a cell phone calling the bids , just watch for the determined guy with a phone in his hand or talking on a blue tooth and out bid him or at least run him up beyond a cheap price , then follow him to the guy with the tag if you end up with the winning bid

I cant believe the owner let the guy walk off. That is nuts. Why would he do that. I would have called the police.

I bet no matter who he sends he will be watching from nearby with a cell phone calling the bids , just watch for the determined guy with a phone in his hand or talking on a blue tooth and out bid him or at least run him up beyond a cheap price , then follow him to the guy with the tag if you end up with the winning bid

Great idea no wiggle room.

Douche nozzles like that are the reason I plan on using a pair of VIN rivets to attach my fender tag.

One of two things should of happened..... Police should of been called or he should of got his *** kicked.

Why do we tolerate crime without punishment?

People like that guy ruin the hobby for car enthusiasts :wack:

Try to talk the owner of the auction house into setting up some kind of sting operation. Does anyone have a pic with the fender tag on the car?

I would have held him up by his ankles and shook the s**t out of him until it fell out of his pocket!! I'm so glad you know who the POS is, and aren't going to let him get away with it!!

for that matter they could notify the police of the theft , complain to them about it being part of a fraud scam and then the police can just check the car a couple of days after the sale when the new owner registers the title , if the tag has magically reappeared then the guy is guilty of fraud and that draws a bigger sentence than the theft of the tag itself as an object .

What a no good POS SCUM BAG!!!!! I would have left behind him and followed him, then call the police. Did you get pics of the car? If so, post then up!

Someone should post this link on FBBO, if he has an B-body he may be on there. Firetruckin crook!!!!! :mumum:

..............Has anyone tried contacting the owner of the car in question..........put this on the radio and in the newspaper if possible.....all the mopar clubs also......kim.......

The guy who USED to own them, had them REPOSESSED by the bank. Thats why they are being auctioned off. The AUCTION didn't even know what a FENDER TAG was. We had to show them the one on the 69 Charger that was parked beside the DEMON. I don't care if the BANK, or the AUCTION get screwed over. We only cared about the INTEGRITY of the DEMON being damaged. And the fact that my friend was also INTERESTED in bidding on the car. And yes, my friend and I are both WELL known in the CALGARY car scene, and we are planning on TELLING EVERYONE we know. The MAIN POINT IS, THERES A REAL GOOD CHANCE THAT CAR WILL NEVER SEE ITS FENDER TAG AGAIN. Unless the THIEF SENDS ONE OF HIS CRONIES OVER TO BID ON IT FOR HIM.

By the way, I am REMOVING the fender tag on my 1970 340 Swinger, and keeping it in a SAFE place. This arsehole has got me RATTLED !!!!!

I think theres a better chance it will and he will be sending someone to bid on it , He might not have deep enough pockets to win the car tho and thats why I would be looking for someone like I described above

Wonder if while he was underneath the car, he stashed the tag somewhere underneath. My guess if he sends an accomomplice to bid on it, he will be the one that is loudly denouncing everything the car is, claiming it's not a an original 340 car, it's not a 340, it's a 318 with a four barrel, etc.
If my tag makes it back with the car from the painter, I am debating whether to install it or not, and it's just a 273 2barrel Dart Conv. with the only options being bucket seats, console and a radio. I am also considering keeping the certicard in the glovebox rather than the holder under the hood.

-
Back