Fenderwell's, or under chassi

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
Just a Vote/discusion for what people like better.

My vote is in, and it is purely based on apperance. I just hate the look of fenderwell headers. Please, take no offence. I just like it looking nice and clean.

My vote is for underchassi

Phil

i agree .. but my under chassis tti's are a PITA!!!!! they dont clear any thing the rub the stering linkage ,you cant change the starter, they dont clear cylinder head studs, and they rattle the floor when idling ...

but at least i cant see them or the exhaust from out side the car .
and neither can any one else...:bootysha::thebirdm:
they never knew what hit them....:-D

Fenderwells for me! (Back when I had a BB Dart.) Everything is very accessible under the car. I don't like them hanging out the side, though. I painted mine flat black. (The lower end.) The other issue is tire clearance. Not too bad in a limited-use car.

I've had both and there is no comparison for ease of maintenance with fenderwells. I understand folks liking the "clean" look, but I like the "gasser" look of the fenderwell headers. Had 'em on several cars, but you just GOTTA have 'em on A body big blocks!
Joe

in the body for me, except the set i built for my supercharged demon had to have #7 and #8 straight out the innerfender and back under the frame to the collector.

fenderwell, under chassis are way too restrictive
like i said in the other post they clear at full lock of the steering wheel

1f02b370.jpg

88ba6c01.jpg

123e947c.jpg

I like the Pro Parts, a blend of both. But I hear that they may not be available anymore.

Mike

under chassis, the only way I would cut a hole in my car would be to repair rust. Headers are a pita, thats why i'm sticking with my factory manifolds.... if I want more flow out of them i'll just have them honed.

Fenderwell headers are cool as hell!

George :D

just wondering why?

is it cause of the look? or the better flow?

I just don't see it... i guess if you don't like turning, and you like to make big holes in a unibody, it would be cool.

I just don't see the trade off being worth it.

just me.

Phil

PS. is there any way we can get a Poll added to this?

Underchassis for me!

Only way to go with fenderwell exit's are to completely remove the inner fender and build a tube chassis front end.

just wondering why?

I just don't see it... i guess if you don't like turning, and you like to make big holes in a unibody, it would be cool.

just me.

Phil

I just like the "Gasser" look. It reminds me of the 60's I guess.
I never owned a car that had them, so I don't know about tire clearance issues, but I would imagine they could be "tweeked" to provide the necessary clearance if necessary.
Fenderwell headers, a deep oil pan hanging down below the K frame, fat & skinny Cragar S/S wheels, and a blacked out Hemi hood with a 4 speed in a 68 or 69 Dart would be perfect to me!
Next car....stay tuned! :D

George

just wondering why?

just me.

Phil

Mine can turn and doesnt have a restrive exhaust
best of both worlds

I just like the "Gasser" look. It reminds me of the 60's I guess.
I never owned a car that had them, so I don't know about tire clearance issues, but I would imagine they could be "tweeked" to provide the necessary clearance if necessary.
Fenderwell headers, a deep oil pan hanging down below the K frame, fat & skinny Cragar S/S wheels, and a blacked out Hemi hood with a 4 speed in a 68 or 69 Dart would be perfect to me!
Next car....stay tuned! :D

George

That does sound good, and looks good if you are doing the hole gasser look package. I will agree with you. Overall though, i just like the underchassi

Mine can turn and doesnt have a restrive exhaust
best of both worlds

Hey tony,

Your car looks Great by the way.

I know it has a roll cage, and is built for the track. Do you race it often? or do you like the track look? I see you covered your plates, so it is a street/strip car huh?

All I know is, that exhaust would be toast if it was my car. Too many speed bumps, and what not.

Phil

Under chassis is the only way to go, if you want a good look under the hood. The only way I would ever use inner fender well headers ?? On a 'all out race car'. I would never cut my inner fenders for a set of headers, and if you do, then you need a football field to turn around in. That's a little exaggeration but if you've ever had them on a A-body, you know what I mean.
And if I recall correctly,,,,,,, there was a article in Chrysler Power magazine a few years back ,, where they put they're DART 'mule' 400 cu in stroker motor on the dyno with the inner fender well headers, and then a set of under chassis headers (cppa headers), and the motor produced more horse power with the under chassis CPPA headers ! ! Best of both worlds.

i agree .. but my under chassis tti's are a PITA!!!!! they dont clear any thing the rub the stering linkage ,you cant change the starter, they dont clear cylinder head studs, and they rattle the floor when idling ...

but at least i cant see them or the exhaust from out side the car .
and neither can any one else...:bootysha::thebirdm:
they never knew what hit them....:-D

I had the same issues with TTIs and just needed to get proper engine alignment to make it work. If you are patient and add a shim here or there you can get them to clear. Not easy, that's for sure. Sam from TTI said it best " it's not easy when your trying to put 10 pounds of potatoes in a 3 pound sack"

Under chassis is the only way to go, if you want a good look under the hood. The only way I would ever use inner fender well headers ?? On a 'all out race car'. I would never cut my inner fenders for a set of headers, and if you do, then you need a football field to turn around in. That's a little exaggeration but if you've ever had them on a A-body, you know what I mean.
And if I recall correctly,,,,,,, there was a article in Chrysler Power magazine a few years back ,, where they put they're DART 'mule' 400 cu in stroker motor on the dyno with the inner fender well headers, and then a set of under chassis headers (cppa headers), and the motor produced more horse power with the under chassis CPPA headers ! ! Best of both worlds.

and if i recall two different style headers will produce power at different rpm's... if your motor is a tourqe monster use under chassis but if you have a lot of horsepower use the higher rpm headers, same deal with dual plane & single plane intake manifolds

i have them in an A body & i dont need a football field... i dont wont to sound like a broken record but its possible to have a full turning radious with fenderwell headers

if you want to be able to have a full turning radious with fenderwell headers you need low profile tires, it really doesnt matter how wide the tires are.

lets have some vids of how some cars sound with fenderwell headers & some vids of other cars with under chassis

and if i recall two different style headers will produce power at different rpm's... if your motor is a tourqe monster use under chassis but if you have a lot of horsepower use the higher rpm headers, same deal with dual plane & single plane intake manifolds

i have them in an A body & i dont need a football field... i dont wont to sound like a broken record but its possible to have a full turning radious with fenderwell headers

if you want to be able to have a full turning radious with fenderwell headers you need low profile tires, it really doesnt matter how wide the tires are.
:-D Well, there you go, if you don't mind low profile tires on your classic car, you've solved PART of the problem with the inner fender headers (turning radius). Never thought of that. I did say the football field turning was an exaggeration, but I was going on what 'most' people run - the normal size tires (225-235, 70-60 series etc, etc.) on they're classic A-body street use cars .You have to admit, if your running normal size tires, inner fenderwell headers do rob your turning radius. Your right tonygts on the torque-horse power situation, but if your not racing some type of stroker (TORQUE + horse-power) motor these days - - well...... Anyway,if you don't mind cutting holes in your inner fenders, exhaust close to the ground, exhaust being seen from the side, (not very eye apealling for street car) , don't mind running low profile tires on your classic, then by all means, go with the inner fenderwell headers !! I think everyone has to weigh out what they're wanting to do with they're car. There's pros and cons for each. .:-D:-D

-
Back