Filler neck interchange/fuel tank vent question

-

Kenflo

Reaction score
Can any one tell me the interchangeability between years on the fuel filler neck? I have a 1973 Scamp and my plan is to get a 67-69 style filler neck with the vent nipple for a simple fuel tank vent solution. All ready have new tanks.inc tank installed with single vent tube at top of tank. All emissions equipment have been removed.

pretty sure 73' up slip in from the outside of the body and 72' down mount from the inside of the body, so not sure of the flange will work on both without surgery

Was also thinking of running the vent from the new fuel tank with a 5/16 hard line up through trunk floor above filler neck with a loop and back down through trunk floor and open end (with a filter on the end). This way I would not need to modify or install new filler neck.
Does this sound okay?

This is my old '69 Dart neck. May help you to see one.

16017632593001590026229.jpg

Doesn't seem that difficult to braze/ weld a fitting into the 74 neck? You might have to cut/ file a small notch in the fender flange to get it past. One way would be to use a 1/8x1/4 pipe bushing, keep it as flush as possible and put it down far enough the nozzle will pass, or maybe even cut the bushing shorter "in half"

67-9 cudas are ALL different between body styles(nb, vert, fb), but the same between the 3 years.
Per the factory parts book
67-69 Barracuda Fastback 2800906 (bent to clear load area)
67-69 ALL other A-Bodies 2800914
70-71 ALL A-Bodies w/o ECS 3404474
70-71 ALL A-Bodies w/ECS 3404220
72-74 Fastbacks 3642007
72-74 ALL other A-Bodies 3642004

Alan

The hole in the trunk pan hole for the filler tube changed in 1972. I tried the same thing for my 1972. I wanted the 1970 18 gal tank versa the 1972 16 gal and thought I'd try the 1970 fill tube with the vent nipple. The vent tube goes down through the fill tube boot on the pan which also change in 72. That is where my problem is. The later boot doesn't fit the vent tube and the earlier boot doesn't fit the trunk pan.
All the filler tubes go in from the inside.
Also H/T, Dart, filler tube has 4 screws to the quarter and F/B, Duster, has three screws.
Still don't know what action I'm taking next.

Hmm, so the filler neck interchange seems like a no go. I'm still thinking of running the vent from the new tank up through the trunk floor above the filler neck with a loop than back down to open end (cheapest way) just not sure how effective this will be?

I'm afraid that would siphon. Remember, the original goes clear up front and "ends high." Plus the line going up front had an "anti spill" valve at the end of the tube.

That is the beauty of the original......it acts like a siphon break. The only scenario under which the old ones can siphon is if the tank is extremely full---fuel clear up inside the filler neck........and if the car is parked in such a way.............filler cap on downlill side.........and even then it will only siphon until fuel gets below the level of the tube, and then "breaks."

One thing that might help would be to bring the line up as you say and "let's say" transition the line into a larger vessel......like a large dia. piece of tube strapped to the side of the filler neck........then continue the vent out the top and back down. This would provide some vacuum break and drain back.

-
Back