Filling a ding on a big block valve cover advice needed!

-

DusterDale

Reaction score
Good evening my FABO brothers and sisters! Just a quick question on what is a good way to fill a small ding or dent on a valve cover... My 440 came with tall steel valve covers and id like to keep them, seems they are one of the harder to find valve covers? I cant hammer them out because of the baffling inside the cover. Would body filler be ok to use or is lead the proper way?

Here is a pic after cleaning off the old paint with kleen-strip and a light sanding

Attachments

• tallcover.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 243
Cool zac ohh so no to body filler! The dent in question is midpoint between the bolt to head indentation and the wire loom hanger on that top radius. Its small like the size of pea. Id like to fill it before I paint it.

Right here bro.. Small but Id like to get it right before I paint. There's others on the other VC too id like to fix just like this.

Attachments

• covermarked.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 255
The one you spotted (Good eye!) Is the spot weld for the baffle... I'll keep that blemish

I use body filler. I have about 12 years on a pair of bondoed valve covers on a car that is driven a bunch in all kinds of weather. No problems so far. Engine was sprayed with epoxy primer and bc/cc urethane.

Yes dartnabout this one I can reach... the one on the other valve cover is a blind spot because of the huge baffle. Thats the one Im wondering if I can use a filler on.

Soo whats the general thoughts on using a filler to repair a valve cover where the Baffle doesn't allow access to hammer it out?

I've seen her work its top notch! Not sure if these old covers deserve that attention. Are these covers something nice?

I've got a set of chrome tall covers shaped like yours on my Barracuda. Picked them up in the late 90's. I don't see many like them around anymore, and I don't ever remember seeing any with the welded tab.

Not sure if you have any welding experience but you could drill out the spots on the baffle.
Work out the dent then weld the baffle back in.
Not the easiest solution but no plastic filler.
I would have to really like the covers to go thru that tho.

From what I've read these tall steel stamped covers are a little hard to find. I'm up to doing them right.

Perfect candidate for brazing, and if they are that important then get it done by someone.
It couldn't cost 20 bucks I wouldn't think just to fill it, then you can smooth it down for the finish.

I would bolt it on an engine or something solid and then use a stud gun and dent puller and metal finish just like you would any body panel that you cant reach behind the dent.

should only take a few studs and couple hard pulls and then some finesse pulls and should be un-noticeable once you grind the studs off and re-paint.

Attachments

• p899b.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 81Nzu770yLL__SY355_.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 156
I would bolt it on an engine or something solid and then use a stud gun and dent puller and metal finish just like you would any body panel that you cant reach behind the dent.

should only take a few studs and couple hard pulls and then some finesse pulls and should be un-noticeable once you grind the studs off and re-paint.

For a pea sized ding the stud head would probably almost fill it. :D
He's got them off and pretty much ready, and may not have a stud gun but a lot of people have a torch and brazing rod.

Dont LOL the thread... Sure I could fill it in but Im not sure the all-metal thing. And Im wanting to maybe help keep a great set of tall valve covers around. Seems they are a little harder to find. Correct me if Im wrong.

Use the socket side of a 6" 3/8 ratchet extension as a hammer extender and dolly it out from the inside.

-
Back