Filter adapter leak

-

alexk90

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I think i am posting in the right spot.

I have a 273 motor and i have recently started leaking oil from the filter adapter (angled adapter by the way). Now i have been reading and it seems that just buying a gasket from my local parts store doesn't solve the problem.
Now is that true or I am just reading everything wrong? I could really use some guidance with this issue.

Thank you very much

Where is it leaking,at the block or the filter. I had the surfaces machined true. they can be out of whack. Mine has no more leaks. Not uncommon to do this. Good luck.

I believe that there are three gaskets for it, any one of them can develop a leak.

Whenever possible, I just use the straight filter only with out the adapter as they have been known to develop leaks with mileage...

There should be 2 small gaskets used with the adapter. One is thinner than the other.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 395
I believe that there are three gaskets for it, any one of them can develop a leak.

Whenever possible, I just use the straight filter only with out the adapter as they have been known to develop leaks with mileage...

Okay. Now is there a special way to change over to stairght filter? Or isbit straight forward?? Also while tring to research the suject, if i got a straight filter while i l have clearance problems with headers??

Where is it leaking,at the block or the filter. I had the surfaces machined true. they can be out of whack. Mine has no more leaks. Not uncommon to do this. Good luck.

From what i can tell it is coming from the block

Okay. Now is there a special way to change over to stairght filter? Or isbit straight forward?? Also while tring to research the suject, if i got a straight filter while i l have clearance problems with headers??

You'll need the oil filter plate and the special double threaded nut. Summit was the cheapest for the nut, it was a Mopar performance part. I used the Canton filter plate, expensive but nice.

Buy a shorty filter and see if you have room.

You'll need the oil filter plate and the special double threaded nut. Summit was the cheapest for the nut, it was a Mopar performance part. I used the Canton filter plate, expensive but nice.

Buy a shorty filter and see if you have room.

Where is a good place to get the filter plate and nut??

The nut is Mopar p/n P3671602 and can be hard to find. $3 at Summit Racing, although they show it backordered, which in Summit's case with MP parts probably means they'll never have it. Mancini Racing has the nut, but it's about $24!

Canton p/n 22-575 for the plate, which is $40-$50. I know Summit Racing has these.

You'll have to use the "shorty" filter with this plate, Luckily they are still cheap and readily available: Wix 51085, AC PF-13, Fram XG16, K&N HP-2004, Royal Purple 20-253, etc...

The 90º adapter can leak if it is not properly torqued, or the gasket is shot. Get a new gasket set, put them on correctly. Torque the bolt down. No leaky.

call performance chrysler out on N 27th st/telluride dr (just south of I 80 on 27th st/west side of 27th st. 402 477 3777 & order the 3 piece gasket set P5249320 then get ahold of me & I'll help you with it.

I've gotten block hardware kits with the plugs and plate in them.

I can't find the listing for them on Mancini site, but here's a good place to start:

http://www.manciniracing.com/oilfilad.html

Or call them and ask for the plate and the nut that holds it in.

If you use the plate, it's best to use the Mopar 3/4 oil filter (fram 43) vs the ford 1 quart filter that most people seem to get (Fram 8A). The 3/4 quart is what is supposed to be the stock Mopar filter and gives better clearance....

PS. I would cross reference the fram numbers to a better filter, I just know them by memory of my old oil changing days....

"Motorpsycho" in the parts for sale has an MP 3 pc gasket set for $15 to your mailbox (good deal). (1) Clean the block circular recess squeaky clean with a wire brush/brake kleen (2) thick gasket on inside bolt (3) thin gasket under outside bolt head (with generous cement (4) spray circular gasket (both sides) generously with Permatex 99MA "high tack" gasket cement, the red spray & install gasket up in block circular recess & make sure its glued up all the way around/its firmly in place. (5 raise the adapter assy up clocked right (so you dont rotate it once it contacts the block) (6) as you are raising it make sure the circular gasket stays in place (7) hold adapter in place & snug it so it wont move then torque bolt to 50 ft lbs. RR

call performance chrysler out on N 27th st/telluride dr (just south of I 80 on 27th st/west side of 27th st. 402 477 3777 & order the 3 piece gasket set P5249320 then get ahold of me & I'll help you with it.

I was able to do this and got it ordered

There should be 2 small gaskets used with the adapter. One is thinner than the other.

As usual, the one person ^^^^^^ who posted the best answer WITH pictures of where each gasket goes, gets ignored.

It is very important that the two small gaskets be placed exactly in the picture FJRdoc posted, or it WILL leak again.

Good luck.

I did not ignore FJRdoc and the picture, and I run the mopar 90* aluminum filter mount, moparperf gasket kit with adhesives dried overnight, full 1 quart fram hp1 filter, AND bolt retightened after some run time.

Some of the external hex drive threads don't have enough depth to the hex and the socket slips off while torquing. I prefer the internal 3/8" square drive as the wrench does not slip off as easily...

I wonder what the $24 Mopar p/n P3671602 nut looks like?

-
Back