Filter screws, 904

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary and safe to torque the 3 filter screws on a 904 transmission to 35 in lbs? I am at 20in lbs, the book does say 35in lbs. These screws are what, 3/16"? I don't want to strip or brake one. I borrowed a Snap-On digital torque wrench to do this.

Not foot pounds, it is Inch pounds.
35 inch/lbs = 2.91 ft/lbs

that is hand tight with a screwdriver.

I am at 20 in lbs. So go ahead to 35 in lbs is okay . We'll do it.
Thank you!

This is basically hand tight, there is no threat of braking them by hand. They are a straight slot screw so how could you get that much power applied to them anyway?

That is one thing I have changed many of, but have never tightened with a "torque wrench".

Well, all that I can say is, you have to agree that everyone's idea of tight will be different. What size screwdriver, handle size, etc. Then, how strong are your hands? My dad was a heavy equipment operator, you would not want to shake hands with him. So all that I was asking was 35 in lbs alot. The filter seemed to have a lot of crush, so with the digital torque wrench, I crept up on it. I have not done one of these since back in the mid seventies, I bought a '69 Cuda, the trans was sticky or late shifting. The oil looked terrible. When I dropped the pan, the filter was laying in it. Don't remember torquing it then, didn't have an inch lb torque wrench. Anyway, I went back to the FSM and did what they said, 35 in lbs.

Wow. I torque rod bolts, main bolts, and head bolts. Nothing else.

Hand tight doesn‘t mean as tight as humanly possible. It means to snug it down so it won’t fall off and that is all.

shall we talk about front wheel bearing nuts now?

Hand tight doesn‘t mean as tight as humanly possible. It means to snug it down so it won’t fall off and that is all.

shall we talk about front wheel bearing nuts now?
All it takes is a little common sense.

Wow. I torque rod bolts, main bolts, and head bolts. Nothing else.
Sounds about right. I can add a few more things to that list but not much. And I own at least 6-7 torque wrenches/ all the way up to 3/4 drive 600 ft/lb.
Clickers, pointers, digital battery powered ones, torque to yield, too. Most snap on. But a few that aren't. But NO, HF. NONE.

Well, my last comment on this, which from what this thread has shown me, I should have done in the first place, why do people say refer to the FSM? Every comment has been negative, well, maybe one wasn't.
Good night.

I am sorry to say there are mistakes in the factory service manuals.
One I remember was the LA rocker shaft torque that was listed in foot lbs. Later was switched to inch lbs.
Not sure of the year.

Sorry if we came off wrong. There are a awful lot of us old buzzards that have built and rebuilt engines and cars without specific torque except for , like I mentioned above, Rods, mains, and head bolts. Most dealer techs use power tools to assemble. Like the factory, things were properly tightened but not specifically torqued.

If you notice, one poster mentioned that the filter was laying in the pan and the trans shifted late. This is because those three filter screws do more than just hold the filter on; they tighten the two valve body halves together in the center. If the screws are loose you'll have internal bleeding. Just make sure you are using long screws; so that you don't strip the vb holes. The filter screws need to be just as tight as all the screws that hold the vb together.

If you notice, one poster mentioned that the filter was laying in the pan and the trans shifted late. This is because those three filter screws do more than just hold the filter on; they tighten the two valve body halves together in the center. If the screws are loose you'll have internal bleeding. Just make sure you are using long screws; so that you don't strip the vb holes. The filter screws need to be just as tight as all the screws that hold the vb together.
Very true, they hold the VB together also.
35 in/lbs is still 2.91 ft/lbs which is not that tight.

Play with some numbers on these 2 links and expand you mental toolbox today.
Convert inch-pound to foot pounds - Conversion of Measurement Units

Convert foot pounds to inch pounds - Conversion of Measurement Units

What's wrong with negative comments? Some days all I have is negative comments...er..wait...watching "JOKER" too many times...

Because almost everyone comments were negative, no one knew about the torque setting. No one said go ahead, the torque setting is correct. Do you people also ignore the band torque setting and then back off? I am not some young, you pick the generation, that gets his feelings hurt and blows up the world over it. There is a difference between constructive advice, and just outright, I don't know, you fill it in. In the end, I was right. I never got a massaged or correct answer.

Just looked at a 66 Dodge Dart service manual. 28 inch lbs for valve body screws.

I need to ask because I can't remember. It has been years since I have had a pan off. Are they Phillips,Robertson (slotted), hex, or Allen?

Exactly

F50459DA-AB24-4B6C-AB78-945566DA2E65.jpeg

8E1BC777-7D66-45A2-8E4E-61A6E8F46341.jpeg

-
Back