xe274
kb107s not zero decked so i can make 9.6 compression at 0.050
rpm air gap
flow tech headers
750 vac carb
either stock rockers or cheap roller rockers
2.5 exhaust with flowmaster 2 chambers

AND NO 302 HEADS

o and the reason i kinda dont wanna use the magnum heads is because i do not want to drill up my intake to make it fit

Cheap roller rockers? Um, no. Stay stock, you gotta pay to play. Dont cheap out on valve train, stock stuff is overengineered and is more than enough. .02

o and the reason i kinda dont wanna use the magnum heads is because i do not want to drill up my intake to make it fit

You dont drill the intake. You drill the heads. And if you dont have a airgap yet, they make magnum airgaps, or get a 'summit' crosswind intake that has both bolt patterns. With a reasoning like that, doesnt sound like its has research behind it....

And people are suggesting magnums for no reason, they do hold a good amount of potential.

Btw i paid $120 off ebay for my brand new magnum airgap thats sitting in my garage waiting. Deals are out there if your patient...

Your engine will only be as good as your combonation. Your forgetting the most important, torque converter and gearing. . .

o ya 3.90 gears and a 2500 stall converter

o and i already have the air gap so ya dont feel like drilling but i mean if there are some heads pre drilled out there ill buy them

You dont drill the intake. You drill the heads. And if you dont have a airgap yet, they make magnum airgaps, or get a 'summit' crosswind intake that has both bolt patterns. With a reasoning like that, doesnt sound like its has research behind it....

And people are suggesting magnums for no reason, they do hold a good amount of potential.

Btw i paid $120 off ebay for my brand new magnum airgap thats sitting in my garage waiting. Deals are out there if your patient...

Your engine will only be as good as your combonation. Your forgetting the most important, torque converter and gearing. . .

Cheap roller rockers? Um, no. Stay stock, you gotta pay to play. Dont cheap out on valve train, stock stuff is overengineered and is more than enough. .02

Goody, you know you can drill ethier right? They will make more power stock the "LA" 360 heads stock. Yep, Ya can. I like the head idea myself. Good idea on the cross over intake. The Edel.s JUMPED in price.
Excellent advice on rockers. It doesn't pay to get cheap crap. One day they may be that cheap, and not garbage!!!!!!!

ya i dident think you had to drill the heads but i am going to zero deck the block so the pistons are up...... is square decking nessacary?

If you're not goin thru the engien properly (and from the sound of things, you aren't for fundage reasons) than dont bother square decking. Just have them mill it so the pistons are at 0 at least on the front holes. The rest really doesnt matter.

May as well just stab a cam in the stock 360 so it sounds good and just drive it at this point.

Because its obvious no matter what advice you ask for your going to do it the way you want to. Theres nothing wrong with that but it defeats the purpose of asking question to those of us who have all ready made every mistake possible twice.

If the machinist is going to take the time to set up the block and cut it, then he should square deck it as the setup is similar.

Why would any machinist waste there time, and not square deck a block?

I know if I'm going to setup a block it WILL BE SQUARE DECKED.

If the machinist is going to take the time to set up the block and cut it, then he should square deck it as the setup is similar.

Why would any machinist waste there time, and not square deck a block?

I know if I'm going to setup a block it WILL BE SQUARE DECKED.

The shop that did the machining on my block had a machine that registered off the center line of the mains and cam. If they were machining the decks they couldn't help but square them with that machine. This same machine was used for the ruff boring prior to the finish hone with deck plates.

It cost me just shy of $1050 to have the block cleaned, magnafluxed for cracks, the cylinder walls sonic checked for thickness, the mains checked for alignment (didn't need to be machined), bored, decked, finished honed with deck plates, new cam bearings installed and painted. This cost also included balancing the rotating assembly which needs to be done with the KB107's because they are so much lighter than stock. I had had the crank cleaned, magnafluxed, turned 0.010/0.010 under and polished prior to bringing in the block which was $250.

If you do not have the money to do it right it would be more appropriate to just rering and regasket the engine and run it until you have the money to do it right.

Then what do you do if after spending all that money you find out the block is cracked because you didnt want to pay for a sonic check ?

You have to have the cam bearings changed. Not something most can do them selves.

Most reputable shops won't work on the block without cleaning it and magna fluxing for cracks.

you've really got two options:
run the engine as it is
Completely rebuild the engine

one thing will lead to the next, see how quickly things are adding up? you might as well do it how you want it the first time, even if that means waiting a little bit longer.

what im basickly going to do is put the pistons in do the machine work and put the heads on with good valve springs and run it like that till i get the money to port the heads unless my tranny dies which it mite but then again i know how to rebuild a 904

If I were you and had the time I would find a local machine shopand see if they could use some help on Saturdays cleaning and dissasembling blocks and talk to the owner while youre there and work out the best course of action.May get some breaks you can use. I did this years ago and now am best friends with the machinist and I keep hisplumbing at his house and shop and he has helped me build my third motor the 500 ci. indy head roller cam beast in my avatar for the cost of parts. A little hard work and horse trading go a long way.

-
Back