Finally, after 4 1/2 years.....Running!

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
At long last the Dart is running. After some electrical\ignition issues, cranked on it a little. Timing a little far advanced. Adjusted and fired on next crank. My neighbor who has been helping a little heard the beast start and ran over throwing his jacket. I needed to put another 3 quarts in the trans.....holds 10 quarts. Ran the cam breakin sequence for about 25 minutes. Blue smoke for the first couple of minutes, then clean. No missing, so I pray the cam is good. Oil pressure 80 cold, then got down to 65 about 15 minutes into the run in. Got a little warm, but started spraying the radiator till the end of the run in and was fine. Everything in the drive train is new, trans, converter, drive shaft, rear end, all of front end, all brakes, etc. I backed out fo the driveway and moved a couple hundred feet down the road and back, checking brakes and trans. No issues! After the cam run, let it back down to idle and set at about 900. Oil pressure about 40 to 45 at idle. I put it back in the garage and shut it down. This thing is a beast! I about colapsed from my elation. I sat there for a good hour, just pondering all that I have went through to get to this point. Still have much work to do, change the oil, install the inner springs, get a torque strap put on, etc., etc. But for today.......I'm happy! I will put together a full sequence of pictures and a write up along with a video, as time permits. Thanks for your responses to questions during the past years. I have uploaded a few pics for now. Specifications are below. Have a good day!!

1971 Dart Swinger
91 LA block .030 over, zero deck, line bored, Hughes Main girdle
Quite a few oil system mods
Standard Melling pump, not HV
Kevco pan and pickup with larger tube
Scat forged crank
Scat H beams
Icon forged pistons
Edelbrock Magnum Heads fully CNC ported by Hughes, 2.08" intakes, milled back to 58cc chambers. Around 300 cfm @ .600 lift
about 10.65 comp
1.6 good rockers
ARP head and main studs
Hughes Solid Flat I .610, E .614, I 252, E 256 both @ .050, 106 LSA
Solid lifters with EDM holes
port matched Air gap with 750 HP holley, possibly an M1 single later, 950 Holley maybe later
TTI 1 7/8 Headers
TTI 3" exhaust to the bumper
SFI Damper and Flex
Mallory #42 dist. with Hyfire 6 box and rev. limiter
Edelbrock 160 GPH pump pulling thru (2) Fram filters
-8 lines to regulator and -6's to carb
Jaz Cell and battery in the trunk
John Cope built HD904 with manual\reverse
Custom 3600 rpm converter
1350 joints
Moser 8 3/4 nodular center section with Richmond 4.10's and Moser Alloy axles
Wilwood Discs up front
Billet Spec. Wheels

Attachments

• 2012-10-01_03-42-47_437.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 450
  • 408 Small 1.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 456
  • 20-1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 478
Congrats. Finally all that hard work and $$$$$ paying off. It sure is a great fealing to hear your efforts finally fire up. Enjoy and please share your story/pics!

Thanks....! Purchased the fabricated valve covers from Hughes Engines. They have them in black, brushed aluminum and polished aluminum. Wanted to go with M\T's but just did not want the hassle with the Magnum heads.

Ok sweet ride you have got. Would love to see more pics of the car
With the hood on it . may have to put a scoop on my dart just to
See what it looks like. Your setup is very close to mine . Got any vid of it running.

congratdulations beauitfull car stroker motor i take it to be.welcome to the useless 1st and 2nd gear club.

SBDart,

Thanks for the comments. I have quite a few pics in the Members Photos. Just look under my user name "aengineguy". I do have a bad vid, but going to make more and will post when finished. Getting cold in Illinois, so is in the garage most of the time now.

Great looking car.

Should run real close to 11.00, even into the 10's.

Thanks jimjim....

I took one of my boys out for his initial ride the other day. Running along about 25 mph, nailed it in second gear, as you said, zero, zip and nada on any hint of traction. Shift light hit instantly. Anyone that puts this kind of power in a 3K lb. A body will experiance the same. Really a lot of fun.

Thanks Crackedback! I still have some serious work to do for the strip time to happen. Need a cage and some bigger rubber, but not without some tub work. I would really be happy, when everything right to go 10.8 to 10.9. But I am one happy camper now!

aengine- I have a '72 Scamp the same color combo. Have to admit, when the color is in good shape, it really does look really nice.

Congrats!

Thanks V-100,

The pics in this post are pretty poor. In member photos under my handle are some better ones.

I know I gained tons of inspiration in just seeing what everyone else was working on and had. I don't think I would have made the progress in the past few months without this forum. Kudos to all of you!!!

That is an four inch hood on your car? Very nice

-
Back