Finally Early A Body Shorty HEADERS

-
autox,

those are the 67 and up. the 63-66 they dont have a nickle plated option and bare they start at $670
would be nice if they did. i like the nickle plated ones a friend has on his duster

im seriously thinking about building my own set and producing them. Ive never made headers before but If i can get all the material and flanges i think I can do it. yea its not going to be easy but sounds like a good challenge. I know everyone complains about unequal length primaries, but anything is better than 273 manifolds. Those have to be the most restrictive manifolds ever made. seems like it would be cheaper to swap over to rack and pinion setup and that may open up a few more doors for us unfortunate early A owners. I talked to sanderson last year and didn't get the info that I really wanted. The journey continues.

....Seems like it would be cheaper to swap over to rack and pinion setup and that may open up a few more doors for us unfortunate early A owners. I talked to sanderson last year and didn't get the info that I really wanted. The journey continues.

I've been looking at R&P options for about the same time as for small block early A headers. I've found one maker of conversion kits for MOPARS, and several other makers of systems for other uses.

Newsflash: I just spent a couple of hours searching the web. It looks like Flaming River might have parts that could be used in early A body cars. More research is needed, but this thread is supposed to be about HEADERS. Do I need to start a new thread?? It's late, and I'd better hit the rack before Santa gets here.

ATB and Merry Christmas to all - and to all a good night!

BC

....but anything is better than 273 manifolds. Those have to be the most restrictive manifolds ever made....

ever see the 67 A big block manifolds?
1012700.jpg

Unisteer does not list a kit for a rack conversion ,But my understanding is they will make a kit to work with the original K frame as a bolt on kit if you ask. Also I will be making shorty headers for my 65 Dart project in the next couple of Months. I will post pictures after thay are done and will be taking orders.Here is a set we made for a 50s Dodge truck with a 318 installed, No one makes a set But we did. The first pictures are of what it came in with and the shorty headers and exhaust system after ceramic coating.
Tim
I've been looking at R&P options for about the same time as for small block early A headers. I've found one maker of conversion kits for MOPARS, and several other makers of systems for other uses.

Newsflash: I just spent a couple of hours searching the web. It looks like Flaming River might have parts that could be used in early A body cars. More research is needed, but this thread is supposed to be about HEADERS. Do I need to start a new thread?? It's late, and I'd better hit the rack before Santa gets here.

ATB and Merry Christmas to all - and to all a good night!

BC

Attachments

• 23471_377904823876_1880195_n.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 617
  • 23471_377904838876_6197082_n.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 604
  • 23471_378249913876_6198873_n.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 618
  • 24751_381558288876_5935124_n.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 647
  • 24751_381558298876_656558_n.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 589
  • 24751_381558328876_2006192_n.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 602
Matter of fact, they are not even mine.. stole the link from another FABO post...BUT I know where there is a set of C body logs that will fit a B in a >66 A with manual steering..Check out xxxxxxxxxxxx Set for $30 bucks!! Hi-po's from a 69 B like a Charger are so close to dropping into a 383 in a '65 A and working that no one should have to mess with headers for these combos. Just work with the steering shaft or mill the intake so it sits closer to the block, like taking 2-3 degrees off the face and using a reduced head header bolt instead of the long special bolts and a crazy thinwall socket to tighten them with....

Man Tim those came out tits!! Where did you get the materials from? Seems like it would go fairly smooth as long as you have plenty of material in case you cut an angle wrong. My tig took a chit so I'm not building nothin until I get it fixed.

Many years ago I saw my first Sanderson headers, a 1958 Chevy with a 396 engine swap. I don't remember the size of the tube but I thought they looked awful small, I'd say 1 5/8 at best. I swore I would never buy Sanderson after seeing that!

We stock a lot of the material to build the headers. We do a lot of them. Some are for drag cars others are for street cars with some odd combo in them that no one makes a good set of headers for.
Yes the tubes are small for this application 1 5/8 stock 318. If you run a larger 2" or above you will sacrifice low end on such a small cubic inch motor.We can build them to what ever size you would need.
Tim

What are you going to sell them for Tim? I might be interested in a set for my convertible and for my hardtop Gt. The hardtop has power steering which I don't see the issue with and the Vert has Rms front end which frees up a ton of space. I'm interested in seeing how yours comes out. As always you do nice work. I'm between coats of paint right now on suspension and rear end stuff. Gotta get to it! Later.

Not sure on price yet, But from past projects bare steel would run 475 ceramic coated 575 stainless 650 just as a guide line. Tim

I just bought a set of the big 2 1/4 Dakota logs (91-92 only) and slapped them on a long block. Anyone got a tape to measure how wide the early A fenderwells are? Mine are out so I cant get a measurement. These are:
26" at their widest,
are flush with the back drivers side trans plane and
extend 4" past the passenger side trans plane 2" below the lower corner of the head
2 3/4 inch thick off exhaust port plane at steering shaft area
extend 1/4 (if that, and you can fanagle that with a shim under the mount) under head parting line under the 3/5 ports for steering gear clearance.

My motor is on a stand so I cant get interference measurements from the manual steering box but I have seen these on a 65 and they fit his. The one part I see a potential snag is the passenger kick back toward the firewall, may have to dimple it or trim the exhaust flange coupler as its pretty big (newer 1 7/8 models may be smaller here). Hoping they would fit as they are easily better and cheaper and more plentiful than the original design, and supposed to flow better combined than the Hi-po 340's.

I looked at an early A with Magnum manifolds last summer. If I remember right, the steering column outer tube needs to be shortened up closer to the floor plate (no big deal), and the right side WILL contact the fenderwell slightly, requiring a little sheet metal trimming. Don't recall there being any problem with the firewall.

The car was owned by a FABO member, but I don't recall his screen name.

I just bought a set of the big 2 1/4 Dakota logs (91-92 only) and slapped them on a long block. Anyone got a tape to measure how wide the early A fenderwells are?

Hey pishta,

Inner fender to inner fender measures about 27.5 inches on my '65 Barracuda...I had to eyeball it a bit, as the motor was in the way but I believe I measured that same distance before using two straight-edges to clear the motor.

Plus I'm pretty good at eyeballin' things. Just like this guy:

crazyeyes_zpsf2a0ff00.jpg

Hope this helps, and Happy New Year everyone!

-Dan

OK so now ive stopped druellling and Chocked on laughter Im courious as i have a mock up with the Spit Fire try Ys and they dump straight into the tortion bars???

OK so now ive stopped druellling and Chocked on laughter Im courious as i have a mock up with the Spit Fire try Ys and they dump straight into the tortion bars???
Yup, early version 1.0 did....sorry.

-
Back