Finally getting an early A-Body

-
64/65/66 all had plymouth on the trunk,,altho,,the trunk lids interchange between all 3 years,,believe it or not,,64/65 plymouth letters are the same,,
66 letters look the same but letter " M" is different,in 66 front and rear,,
if you put a 64/65 " M " on 66 car,,the M wil look lower then the reat of the leters,,the mounting pins are different on the M,, only,,the 64/65 didnt have plymouth letters on the hood,, they had a trim piece that hid the hood release that said plymouth ingraved in it,,,

the 66 wheel trim will fit your valiant,but you will need to use the barracuda rocker trim piece,because the wheel well trim has nothces in it for the rocker trim,,

il try to get my pic of my 66 when i found it posted,,,

e mail me if you wont a pic of that tail ite housing,,and lenses,,i also have a nice st or rocker moldings,,, good luck great find,,,[email protected]

My car has plymouth spelled accross the bumper that had been removed except for the H which yo can see in the pic I think.

What a beautiful car Geof, I love the color and I really like the stripe. Fantastic.

Thanks Badawg, I really appreciate your help. I will be wanting to get everything as nice as I possibly can, she may be parked next to Victoria some day and she will have to be her best!

i have never sen the letters on a A body bumper,, only a big C body 1966 to early 1970,s

I'm with you fstfish66, I have never heard of plymouth being spelled on the bumper. I can't see it in the pics, Vic, but I don't think it's factory. Thanks fstfish for chiming in on the letters too. I wasn't aware of the different M situation, but I think I used all original letters from my car, and the extras I have are from 64-66 cudas and Valiants. And I must say, your user ID is right on the money, that looks like one FAST fish. Geof

Count me in as well as far as never seeing it on the bumper. Not sure if its my monitor but I cant make it out on the pics (I believe you that its there) Weird!! And no problem, just let me know when you get your list together.

Hey Vic, with the extra parts and the rallye dash, you don't happen to have an extra can for the tach sending unit do you? Or anybody else for that matter. It mounts under the kick panel on the drivers side. I sure could use one to complete my tach installation. I tried making one but it did not come out to my satisfaction so I thought I would put out the feelers to the early A owners out there. Anybody??? Thanks, Geof

I'll look tomorrow cosgig, I am not sure what I am looking for. I can that holds the sending unit is under drivers kick, N/P.

I went out just now and took a shot of the bumper, it is wierd huh? I think it was someones attempt to customize. I am going to have to get another bumper probly unless I can get that glue off.

I am going to run the car over to the shop tomorrow and finish putting it together, I can't stand it. Just looking at it here is driving me bonkers! I will let you know if I get it running.

bumper lettering.jpg

Good luck tomorrow Tony, definately let us know how it goes at the shop! And I just wanted to mention bumper boyz for when you get to that point. Fstfish66 refered them and Im all set to swap out mine for new 1's when they come this way in January for a show in Toledo. They are at events all over the country so if you set it up with them, they will bring your new 1's with them when they are close to you and you just show up and make the swap. Saves on the shipping and it ended up being cheaper than having mine done local (they charge 350 each) Im sure that they arent a priority for you now, but since I seem to be remembering less as I get older I figured Id mention them now before I forget!

Thanks Vic. I'll describe what it looks like. It is gold in color and looks like a gold tin can with a flat metal bracket fastened flat against the back. Is your car a factory tach car??? I have seen one of these cans before, and I have been told that the 64-5 B-bodies used the same set-up, but i have never confirmed this. All I know about this I have been told, but I have never seen the actual set-up installed in the car. If yours is a factory tach car, you should find it under the drivers side floor kick panel. Thanks for taking the time to check for me. The letters on the bumper should not be there, it looks to me like someone put them on there. I'll bet that puppy will fire right up, with the new fuel tank and the motor looks complete. Maybe you can post a sound bite of the actual fire-up. You'd be our hero if you did, LOL!!! Good luck and have fun. Geof

I haven't gotten to take the kicks out yet but it is looking like I will be able to tomorrow. Looks like I will be able to save alot of the interior and reuse which is great news on the pocket book. I want to hear it run but I am thinking if I should waste the time and just pull it out and paint everything and then get it going. Why do all the work twice?

Guys I am thinking of painting her black, what do you think? Small blk and I went all over that baby today and she is very solid and straight as an arrow. I only have to sand her down and patch a couple little spots and paint her. I am thinking bright red racing stripes too.

engine bay befor redo.jpg

The thing with taking the time to get it fired now is that at least when you are ready to drop it back in you will know what you are dealing with so that part can go as smooth as possible. But I dont think its a big deal either way. I think that any medium to dark color is a cant miss. With the amount of chrome on the 66's I think black would be a great choice.

I like the color red and everything :-k But this is a V8 four speed car.:cheers:
Is that the factory color on the car ?
Turquoise is a good color for a fish =P~

I have seen some nice colors on everyones cars already, and although I am a big fan of factory correctness, I am a bigger fan of doing it the way you want it. Black would be a rockin color, especially with a red stripe. Just look at fashfsh66's car and tell me black ain't a sweet color on these. I'll tell you though, I would slip in a radiator and the other small items it may need and try to fire her up, just me but I couldn't wait!!! I always try to get them running and driving to assess all of the areas that might need attention. Oh yea, and have a little fun before I tear em' down. Thats just me though, Vic, you do it the way you want and we'll all be behind you. Good luck and keep us posted. Geof

I like the color red and everything :-k But this is a V8 four speed car.:cheers:
Is that the factory color on the car ?
Turquoise is a good color for a fish =P~

I would paint it the color you want it, like Geof said Tony.:cheers:
Some times I think out loud :read2:
and forget that is your 66 .:toothy10:

Sorry, Tony, I keep calling you Vic. I thought that it might be your name. I'll try to be more astute in my observations. Now, repeat after yourself, Geoffrey, Tony... Tony... Tony!!!! There, I think I got it now!!! Have fun under the 66, and try to get a nap in under there. Cardboard makes a heck of a comfy bed, LOL!!! Geof

well thats the first A body bumper with the letters ive ever seen,,it was common on 1966 till the early 1970s on C body cars,,

and yes on that tach sending unit,,same deal on 1965 barracudas, darts, sport furys,,and beleveders,,any thing in that era with a factory tach,, on thre console cars B & C bodys the sending unit was under the console,,,

you could make one out of any thing,,no one will see it,, thats going to be a hard item,,to find good luck

thanks,,,a lot,, just remeber pics make it look better then it really is,,if i had to be the judge since i know where all the flaws are,,its in cruise nite local show car quality at best,, was a hard decission what color to paint,my first cuda was a orignal black 64,,so all along i guess it was destined to be black,, but this shell was orignally silver rare color in 66 my choices were,,black,silver some shade of blue,,and always love a hot rod in yellow,, but i dotn think the 66 would be good in yellow,,

No worries Geof and I am going to fire it up but probly not drive it. I have already started to tear it down for paint. This car isn't going to be bad to paint at all, very little body work. Here is a before pic of the rear and I will have an after today. Also you can see my worst part of the car, the front floor. I will be fixing that and putting in a new hump to get her back to stock. I have encluded a pic of my fender tag, does this tell anything about what the car was when it came out? I am curious if this was a factory 4 speed car or not.
Hey fstfish66, where did the huffer set up come from that you have on your car? Very cool.

Rear before disassmebly.jpg

front floors bad.jpg

fender tag.jpg

I have encluded a pic of my fender tag, does this tell anything about what the car was when it came out? I am curious if this was a factory 4 speed car or not.

From what Ive learned the 315 under the ABC means: 31=273 2or4 barrel, 5=auto trans. The fender tags on 66's and earlier sure dont give you a lot of info. When Im dont with the front end and drive train work Im going to pull the back seat and hope that the build tag is still there. If not I guess Ill next tear into the dash and see if its under there by the glove box. Unless someone else knows better, Ive been told if the build sheet is still in the car those are the 2 places it would be.

That is good info so far because that is what is in it. I too am looking for the build sheet but the odds that someone else hasn't been through these old cars are 50/50 at best.

Very true, I think Im going to be SOL because the carpet had been replaced years ago with house carpeting so I know the back seat has already been pulled. Thats the main reason looking for the build sheet isnt a high priority. I hope you find yours!!

The 31 is for 273 2BBL
The 5 is for Auto Trans.
If it was a Formula S it would have a 7 under the F

The 31 is for 273 2BBL
The 5 is for Auto Trans.
If it was a Formula S it would have a 7 under the F

Whats the code for 4bbl? I thought they were the same code.

Nevermind, I see it now, missed the 32 code. Thanks Chryslerfat!!

Okay, now you have my attention! That makes sense out of the chewed up tunnel and the funky pedal assembly. Well, I think that I am going to keep it a four speed and get a better hump and straighten out the clutch pedal so it looks like it belongs in there and it will be fine. What do you guys think? Should I put it back to stock? Is it going to take anything away from the car not being original since so much of the original stuff is already gone?

-
Back