Finally getting an early A-Body

-
Very cool Badawg thank you, I am really getting excited about the way this is coming together. Yours is an early 66 then also, have you got that monster in the car yet? I would sure like to see some pics of that BB in there.

I wonder if you could cut those indictator lenses out of stock too?

Very cool

first cruze 114.jpg

Are you talking about the ones on top of the fender? I cut those as well, they were the easiest. I actually ran and picked up my engine hoist from my brother-in-law today, then engine will be in my garage here either tomorrow or saturday and then the fun will start.

Hold the phone on the center grill boys, Hell Fish might be right. Ron, could you check the one you have and memike could you check yours also. I am looking to see if the center area is cut out round for the emblem on Barracuda cars and maybe not cut at all for the Valiants, or cut in some other shape. I saw a 66 Barracuda on ebay for sale that did not have the center emblem and the grill was cut round where the emblem mounts. On memikes car, it doesn't appear that it is possible to have the round cut hole with the "V" emblem. I'd like to clarify this for Vic so he gets the right piece, and also to satisfy my own feeble memory bank, as I did the grill on mine about 6-7 years ago. Thats a lot of water under the bridge in my brain!!! Vic, check out all the items on ebay right now for 66 cars, there is a ton of stuff!!! Incidentally Vic, my wife picked the blue for the car, and we are very happy with the color, after all it is her car!!! Plus, if you, me and Badawg ever met at the Nats we might have a monopoly on blue, and might get kicked out for starting a revolution or something!!!LOL!! Lets work together on the grill thing for Vic, and if I was wrong I apologize to Hell Fish for speaking with the wrong part of my body, and look for forgiveness from you all. Please don't kick me out of the early A club!!!! Geof

Geof, there were 2 correct grills for the 66 Barracuda. The one that Vic showed was used on cars run for 1966 production before late January/early February 1966. After that they had the fish center emblem. Both had the circular cutout in the actual grill for the emblem.

Geof, there were 2 correct grills for the 66 Barracuda. The one that Vic showed was used on cars run for 1966 production before late January/early February 1966. After that they had the fish center emblem. Both had the circular cutout in the actual grill for the emblem.
You know Ron, back when I was doing my car, I had a bunch of grills and taillights from Valiants and Cudas. I don't know why, but when I saw em' I bought em'. I probably noticed the difference or maybe I didn't, but I know when I decided on which pieces I was going to use for my car, I put together the others set by set and sold them off. I know they all will bolt in whether you use Valiant or Cuda, but the emblem thing must not have been a problem for me. I always had a nice emblem so I must have built my grill around that!!! Thanks for helping us out on this, and for takin' me to task. I'll go to my room!!! Geof

a club called blue moon cruisers makes reproduction fender turn signal amber lenses,,,

Cool fstfish66, do they have a website or a phone #?

Hey no problem Geof, we live we learn and we build A-bodys, it just doesn't get any better right? I think so.

VIC i had there name wrong,, here is the info,,these guys reproduce all the turn signal indicator lenses,,, not the housing only the lens.not cheap either.

krusin moons mopar specialties ( 814 ) 255- 7993

www.krusinmoons.com

Thanks fstfish66, I'll check it out.
Here are a couple of pics of the engine pulling, tell me if you can tell if anything is wrong with the K-member.
I also have to pull the steering out to get the engine out and thats when I noticed the odditty, not sure what I am going to do about it yet.
Other than that everything is going very well, and I can't talk enough about all the help I am getting from all of you, Thank you all for your support, it is muchly appreciated.

K-member on cuda.jpg

K-member #2.jpg

motor almost out 11-12-08.jpg

Not exactly a K anymore is it? Was it replaced with a different one or did the PO just hack into the front part? From what I can see in the pics, looks like you might be hitting the "field of dreams" to look for a new 1.

There's one out there Badawg. I just love it when Vic needs something from my field. Let's see now...that'll be 15 car washes on the black duster and ....10 oil chan........Hell, i'm sure we can work out all those expensive and RARE Mopar parts there Vic. Looks like the wood pile is getting low by the furnace......got plenty out in the field. We just need to see if we can find someone to hustle some on up here now.

This lesson is for you Vic.

American Motors = Twin-Grip
Buick.................= Positive Traction
Ford..................= Equa-Lock and Traction-Lok
MOPAR...............= Sure Grip
Oldsmobile...........= Anti-Spin
Pontiac...............= Safe-T-Track
Chevrolet............= Positraction

Your in the land of MOPAR now so out with the posi stuff.

Don't worry about calling him Tony as he's use to a large variety of names on the job.

Geee I don't see POWER LOCK in there anywhere! LOL! :bootysha:

There's one out there Badawg. I just love it when Vic needs something from my field. Let's see now...that'll be 15 car washes on the black duster and ....10 oil chan........Hell, i'm sure we can work out all those expensive and RARE Mopar parts there Vic. Looks like the wood pile is getting low by the furnace......got plenty out in the field. We just need to see if we can find someone to hustle some on up here now.

Thats too funny Small Block:-D Poor Vic. With my guys whenever anyone needs a favor I just tell them Im adding a mark next to their name in my "In lieu of pay" notepad and they can work it off somehow later!

I will see if I can get 66aCuda to post a picture or go look for a grill that is like yours Vic, His has the early year like yours and like Badawg said and it is a factory early A barracuda grill emblem
I think I could make yours look perfect with the right tools to press it back into shape, As you can see my emblem is a bolt on surface mount with no
cut out for a circle emblem.
I am sure that Small Block has what you need for the K frame but if he keeps his cars clean and the fire wood pile stays full he will see you through your
needs.
I would like to look at it in person and see what was dun and why.
It may be a good thing.:-D

first cruze 113.jpg

Thats a lot of beef missing to support that engine and front end thats for sure. Heres a shot of mine from a little while back.

kmember.jpg

well you guys must have better vision,i cant tell from that pic any thing with the K frame,,but if you ned one,, a friend of mine has one of my old 66 K frames,,its on this board in the for sale section,,with motor mounts .,,

why did you have to pull the steering to get the motor out??
the passenger side exhaust manifold looks like a later model

Small blk is right, the scatter shield is big enough that it doesn't fit between the firewall and the steering linkage. No big deal, it will be loose at lunch tomorrow and be out of there. Then there will be a trip to the media blasters.

steering in the way.JPG

Hey fstfish66, I looked for an add for a 66 K-frame but couldn't find it but did find a 65. Are they the same?

vic yes there the same,,, the addd is under A body parts i believe,,let me know ill give you his address,, but you said you found a 65 so thats kool,,lets see pics of the 66 when u get it out

Small blk is right, the scatter shield is big enough that it doesn't fit between the firewall and the steering linkage. No big deal, it will be loose at lunch tomorrow and be out of there. Then there will be a trip to the media blasters.

So, are you getting rid of the scattershield?

No no, I am keeping it and am glad to have it. Everything is out and the body is now coming apart and there should be a load going to the blasters and then it's paint time! I did did get the engine out today and I also got the fender and door off of the drivers side. Everything will be off before the end of the weekend and then the real work begins.

Engine and tranny out 11-14-08.jpg

fender and door off #2.jpg

-
Back