Finally getting an early A-Body

-
tony i believe the inner fender you need is now being repoped,,check laysons on that,,,if not but im pretty sure they are, i do not know for sure i would think they only fit 1963 thru 66..some one else may know,,

as for dash refinishing,,there is a guy on this site that does some nice work,,,half the price of the big companies that do it,,,and probably a better job..

i have wondered for a long time how it would come out if i did my own,,which i wil attempt this spring,, there was an artical recently in mopar muscle, on doing it at home,,they taped it off for each differnt detail and color, sprayed it all one color for a base coat,then detailed it as it should loook,,,you may laugh but they used all duplicolor products,,and used the spray chrome for the chrome areas,,in the magazine it looked realy good,,they said if you put it next to a thermo formed plastic chromed part you can se the difference,,but standing alone in the car it looked killer,,in my opinion,,and didnt cost any where near 500/600 bucks,,,,

here is my dash,customized but unrestored,,

fstfish66  digitial oct 2007 042.jpg

fstfish66  digitial oct 2007 040.jpg

I like the way you installed those aftermarket gauges in the stock openings. Something the purists hate but I really like the looks of the modern stuff.

I have given some thought to possibly doing a complete custom dash by filling all the opennings and take off the dash pad. then put all modern gauges, heater/ac controls and sound equipment including a GPS. I will do some photoshop and see what it looks like.'

I have the floors ready now and the rear floor metal turned out to be great so the next move is fix the front floors. i also have the dash stripped and ready for paint to. Not sure how the pad is going to fair, we'll see. I also have half of the underneath stripped and I am very proud to say it looks like new metal, a few more little holes in the spare tire pan but nothing a little fiberglass won't fix. Hope to have the underneath completely stripped by this weekend.

013.JPG

010.JPG

021.JPG

Underneath is lookin good,I,m about to do the same on my 66 Dart.Wire wheels and 3 battery drills,should get her done in no time.I,m lucky no floor replacement required.Keep up the good work!:cheers:

I know what you mean prettybluedart, I was using a 4" grinder with a wirebrush and a face shield. I feel very lucky to not have to do a bunch of rust replacement, it can be very time consuming. Got any pics of your dart?

You asked,here you go!I got the car shipped from Alabama to Toronto,Canada on Dec.23 and haven,t stopped working on it since.I,ve been laidoff since Dec.15. and go back this Mon. for 2 weeks then off again for 3 weeks.She,ll be certified,re-align front end and a new windshield next layoff!:cheers:

trim 013.jpg

trim 018.jpg

trim 026.jpg

trim 029.jpg

trim 039.jpg

trim 048.jpg

trim 027.jpg

trim 053.jpg

I like it, that is a sweet looking dart, I am sure I have read your thread now that I see your car. I like what you have done, it's nice to have a great body to start with.

Why thanks Vic,I,ve done alot of work to her in the 3 weeks I,ve owned her.Next is to just clean a bit of surfuce rust on the underbody,there is no holes anywhere.I was pretty lucky,seein the car was in Alabama and I bought it just from pictures.Was very nervous about purchase.It all turned out good in the end.I,ve really grown to like these old A,s.There is just something about the look.Nostalgia I guess.between the 2 of us,we,ll be well experienced in the end,on the early A,s that is.HaHa!!Keep up the good work on your,s.you,ve come allong way.Must be nice to have the help you have?

I too am a big fan of the early a's even though I do have a 70 dart lined up for my next project, the early 70s cars have some style but since I was 16 I have liked the early A's the best.
Is that a racing rim on the rear of your dart? Looks cool and fast! My only ***** is the narrow rear fender wells of the early A's, thats why I am leaning towards a pro-touring car more than a drag set up.
I finally got to start replacing the floors in my car, I got some of that thicker sheet metal from Small Blk and went to town. I know the purists are not going to like it but I'm not building it for resale and I am going to make it extremely solid and may put some glass over it all for strength. I will be insulating the floor under the new carpet so no-one will ever see the repair. I am no welder by trade but I am glad to see the floor getting done. I need a 4 sp tranny hump I guess, small Blk has one from a B body but it doesn't quite fit. I guess the A body one is smaller.

016.jpg

Congratulations on the progress you've made in such a short time! Your car is going to be awsome. I bought the 67-76 a body one that "requires a few minor bends and cutting..."
Here how it fit in my car, the biggest gap was at the back.

IMG_3632.JPG

IMG_3636.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4248.JPG

Thanks for the pics 66signetHT, that really gives me a good idea of how it is suppose to look and sit. The B body hump isn't that much different to me, just a little different shaped but fits the same with a little help. I think I will try to get that one from Small Blk and make it work. thanks again.

I did manage to get the piece cut and shaped for the pass side floor repair but it's not welded in yet. I also have a great friend in Small Blk for after work one day when I had already gone home, knowing that I was worried about breaking that big window taking it out, gathered up a couple of the guys and took that window out for me. Now is that a bud or what! I am truely blessed having a great friend like that.

rear window out.JPG

pass floor going in.JPG

I got the floors all welded in now and ready for insulation. I also got the drivers side windshield repaired so that won't leak. I am going to have to have a new pedal assembly, mine looks like it was made out of the power brake pedal and some flat steel. I am also going to need an A-body hump, it well fit so much better. Anybody know where some my be?

006.JPG

Nice build man. Make sure u check your cowl vents real well. The air intake holes tend to rot out from dirt/debris sitting inside the cowl. I guess u could just stick a garden hose down in there and move it all around to see if water comes in or around the fresh air boxes. I was thinking about just closing off my cowl but then water can still get in through the wiper shaft holes in the cowl. There are also seals under the dash 4 the wiper shafts. Sorry if this is obvious 2 u, but i thought I would share.
:read2:

Vic, I have complete k member out of 66 Formula S with factory sway bar. Would like to sell. I see you are in MO. I'm coming to Columbia in Feb. to swap there. If interested, I could bring it that far. PM me or call 515-480-3891. Scott

Thanks crvtec90, that is a good thought. Iwas going to leave the drivers side and was going seel the other one off and what I do from there will be determend by the inside unit I end up with. I have looked all over it and so far it seems to be solid.

Bickel I sent you a PM.

Vic,your moving on those floors,looks solid.I went back to work for 2 weeks(afternoons)so only can work on the Dart on weekends.Feb. will be off again for 3 weeks.Replacing leaf springs,alighn the front end and new w.shield and cleaning the undercarriage.Keep up the great work!

Be happy your getting the hours in Pretty, I bet there hasn't been 60 hours n the last month for me. Cuts deep into the car restoration thats for sure. I did manage to score a shifter hump thanks to one of our FABO members. I am also working on a K-frame deal and that will be a great step to get done. I have some work to do on another project I have going. All I have left before primer is wire wheeling the bottm and install fame stiffners and torque boxes then it's sandible primer time!

That,s good you got a k-frame,that will save you work and you can clean it up before install!Moving allong..:thumbup:

tony,, it looks like it was an automatic pedal set up at first,he cut the brake pedal,to install the clutch pedal,,,but it is the correct clutch pedal,,,get a pair of pedal covers and make the brake pedal fit the cover no one will ever know,,a lot less money that way,,

Looks like someone wanted to get it going without spending any money, can't blame anyone nowadays. Nice looking set you bought though.

There has been a spell of winter here that put us back a bit but I am happy to report that the cuda survived the ordeal better than I did and should be heading back into the shop real soon, we have a duster project that needs finished first but we are close on her. I have a tranny hump coming so I will be jumpin' to get the floors done and insulated.

winter hybernation.jpg

I have to say it feels good to post here again, seems like it has been a year! I have gotten my new tranny hump and I am very pleased. I now can get the floor finished inside and get her turned over. It is going to be a great spring!8)

001.JPG

I got home today to a box with the most beautifull 66 fish grill I have ever seen! This baby is awesome and the late X-mas present came from one of our very very awesome members Badawg! Ron absolutely refused to let me pay him for it and he really wants to see my car get done right!8)8)
That is the essence of the people of this site, you are all the greatest group of people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Thanks Ron, I owe you big time bud.
With Small Block and Memike helping me and Between SVT65cudas Pedals and fastfish holding on to things for me and all the guys that have helped so far Things are coming together, I am hoping to start work on the car again soon. Just getting back to work.

002.jpg

ITs my pleasure my friend! Funny thing is that I actually bought that grille for the center fish emblem and then ended up coming across another center emblem only and bought that. Rather than just having it sitting in the garage Id much rather have it in your hands to help you finish of your fish. I just bought some new seats so my original 1's will be set aside for you also (they are going to need some recovered and some work but there yours) And you are right, there are so many amazing people that have helped me out here as well and I cant thank enough! Glad that you are doing well and gearing up for the next stage of the build!

-
Back