Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Seat tracks are finished and installed. Still waiting for delivery of the car. I was hoping that the Duster would make it home this weekend, but that's not going to happen this weekend. Mike sent me this pic of the Duster last week. They were moving her from the shop into his clean storage area. It was nice to see her out in the daylight. I love Rallye red!

View attachment 1715238154

View attachment 1715238155

I like red also, one of my personal cars.

70-RED-6PK.gif

Today was finally homecoming for the Duster. Steve brought her over around noon today. I was so excited to see the trailer door open so that I could finally see it completely painted. The car looks amazing! The sun was shining when we unloaded her and I could really appreciate all the work that went into getting her to this point. Steve did a great job with metal fabrication and the undercarriage work. This girl had a lot of rust and damage that needed to be repaired or replaced.
Mike and Ken did a fabulous job on her bodywork and paint. I'm still shocked at how great the car looks and the fact that they were able to complete the bodywork in such a short time. Here's a walk around the car after offloading her.

I have to say, restoring the body on this car for Kevin and Nora was very gratifying. Doing work for people that appreciates your work is very gratifying, thanks for allowing us to be a part of restoring your car.

Last edited:
I hope so dartnlo. I plan on doing the radiator support black out this weekend. I'm going to try and duplicate the factory paint treatment from pics I took during disassembly. Body bumpers have been installed. Body plugs will be going in next.

I hope so dartnlo. I plan on doing the radiator support black out this weekend. I'm going to try and duplicate the factory paint treatment from pics I took during disassembly. Body bumpers have been installed. Body plugs will be going in next.
I love how you are basically a one man assembly line now. Your dedication to detail is amazing bordering on maniacal. Looking into the DSM-5 for Mopar Syndrome. Can't wait to see the process!

Thanks for compliment dartnlo. I guess I'm just a detail kind of guy. I'm the first to admit that I'm OCD about certain things. I finished the radiator support blackout today. I used SEM Trim Black. I'm very happy with how it turned out.It's about as close to the photos I took during disassembly as I think I can get.

IMG_1965.JPG

Looks great. Nice works and take care with assembly. It's going to be a great ride when you get done!

Got the proportioning valve and front brake lines installed tonight.

View attachment 1715245279
WOW! That is just gorgeous! Also that is way easier with no engine and suspension! I'm so happy to see how this is turning out. I hope there is going to be video of the first time you get to take it out on the road all done. You've earned a smile a mile wide for that moment!

WOW! That is just gorgeous! Also that is way easier with no engine and suspension! I'm so happy to see how this is turning out. I hope there is going to be video of the first time you get to take it out on the road all done. You've earned a smile a mile wide for that moment!

Congrats on getting it home Kev! Time to have some fun!

It was a beautiful fall day today in PA. It had a chance to make a final trip to the rifle range in preparation for buck season after Thanksgiving. I did get some things done on the Duster this weekend. Front and rear parking brake cables are installed. I also got a couple glitzy chrome pieces installed . It was a good day.

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_1989.JPG

Installed the shoddy padding under the dash and the firewall insulation today. I also installed my rear wheels and tires. I decided to go with 255/60-15's on the back. I thought about Polyglass bias ply tires but I just couldn't justify the extra cost. The TA radials still give me the vintage look at a price I can live with. Trying to get things in order for the engine/ tranny/ K-member installation. Shouldn't be too long until I'm ready to drop the body on.

IMG_1996.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

I'm having fun putting her back together. It's like when I put my car models together when I was child........but only larger.

Keep plugging away Kevin, this is the fun part, you'll be driving it before you know it. Sure looks much better in your garage then my shop!

You must have looked at a lot of feet to get to this point! :)

Nice job. Keep it going.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have seen a lot of feet in almost 30 years of practice. Medicine is tiresome these days. Working 12 hour days doesn't give me much time to work on the Duster when I get home. I try to do at least one thing each night so that I can keep making progress.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I have seen a lot of feet in almost 30 years of practice. Medicine is tiresome these days. Working 12 hour days doesn't give me much time to work on the Duster when I get home. I try to do at least one thing each night so that I can keep making progress.

Kev where did you get the firewall jute?

-
Back