Finally got a work shop.

-
Congratulations on your new garage. Looks great, I like the idea that it'll be easy to add onto when you want. I really wish that I would have went with a wooden structure as they are both easier to wire and put on a addition. Just a idea, you could tile the floor of treat it for durability.

R U planning to run electricity to it? Size depends on what you are doing with it. That is PLENTY big enough to store some stuff and have a nice area to work. You could work on components like fenders, doors, hoods, etc. Nice area to rebuild a carb. Get a small fridge for the beer.
Running electric to it would be awesome. You gave him some good ideas for his new work shop.

Finally after all these years I got a work shop yesterday. Its not a garage but it's better than what I had. And better than paying rent for storage. I got a metal sides 12x16 building. I've started moving all my parts and stuff in it already. I've built some shelves and started organizing. Im gonna be getting rid of alot of stuff too. I've found alot of parts I no longer need so I will be posting them for sale on here. Hopefully this will be the motivation I needed to get back to work on the dart.

View attachment 1715979954

View attachment 1715979955

View attachment 1715979956

View attachment 1715979957
I see that the shop foreman likes it Lol.

What do you recommend?
Your biggest rot prone area will be in front of the door, so maybe put a piece a plastic or metal down in that area. Depending on the use of the building, and budget, I would consider tread plate, rubber mats, or maybe using 12 inch garden pavers to create a concrete floor.

Finally after all these years I got a work shop yesterday. Its not a garage but it's better than what I had. And better than paying rent for storage. I got a metal sides 12x16 building. I've started moving all my parts and stuff in it already. I've built some shelves and started organizing. Im gonna be getting rid of alot of stuff too. I've found alot of parts I no longer need so I will be posting them for sale on here. Hopefully this will be the motivation I needed to get back to work on the dart.

View attachment 1715979954

View attachment 1715979955

View attachment 1715979956

View attachment 1715979957

Dog approved!!

Congratulations on getting some space.

Running electric to it would be awesome. You gave him some good ideas for his new work shop.
I am going to run an extension cord for now but for long term im considering a solar power supply ive been researching it. It should be able to run everything i need and the bigger stuff like my welder I have a generator for that.

from what i've seen (which isnt a whole lot) your biggest concern is condensation
so if you made sure you did the ground prep...plastic sheeting and pea gravel, you should be good
I got gravel under it. The ground is sloped enough it shouldn't hold water when it rains

Yea im gonna work on that tomorrow. I got some lumber and plywood im gonna make a trip to hf for some pegboard.
Might I make a suggestion? Get metal pegboard. Yes, it costs more, but it won't soak up moisture and ruin. You'll thank me 25 years from now when it's still good.

I am going to run an extension cord for now but for long term im considering a solar power supply ive been researching it. It should be able to run everything i need and the bigger stuff like my welder I have a generator for that.
Won't the solar system actually be more expensive than just running power as with solar you will need a source to store the energy. I'm not a big fan of solar power, it may be a good choice for a back up but I wouldn't want it as my main source of power

Nice. That's a decent size to be able to store all kinds of stuff, and work on anything short of the car itself. As others have said, I'd do flooring before doing anything else. Even rolled linoleum would work, and if I did that I'd let the edges come up to the top of the 2x4 base so anything spilled can't travel to the side and go down to the wood floor. That chipboard has no ability to hold up to extensive foot traffic or water.

Check on the cost of running an underground line out there before you invest in Solar. Even if you can't do the electrical work yourself, you could dig the trench have an electrician finish for you.

Kevin...if you just need 120 volts for a few overhead LED lights and a few plugs on each wall, it wouldn't be hard to run some #12 Romex out to it from your breaker box or power box outside. Dig a ditch about a foot deep and run some PVC pipe with the wire in it. Mount your boxes, run your wire and hook it all up. Then install a new 20 amp breaker made to fit your brand of breaker box and you're in business. It's hard to screw up standard plugs or switches. Black wire goes on the brass screw, white wire goes on the silver screw and nekkid ground wire goes on the green screw. Don't let the nekkid wire touch the brass screw when you push it all in the box after it's connected and there won't be any sparks when you go flip the breaker on...lol. come on man...Mr. White dog needs a little electric space heater in his new house this winter! :D

Kevin...if you just need 120 volts for a few overhead LED lights and a few plugs on each wall, it wouldn't be hard to run some #12 Romex out to it from your breaker box or power box outside. Dig a ditch about a foot deep and run some PVC pipe with the wire in it. Mount your boxes, run your wire and hook it all up. Then install a new 20 amp breaker made to fit your brand of breaker box and you're in business. It's hard to screw up standard plugs or switches. Black wire goes on the brass screw, white wire goes on the silver screw and nekkid ground wire goes on the green screw. Don't let the nekkid wire touch the brass screw when you push it all in the box after it's connected and there won't be any sparks when you go flip the breaker on...lol. come on man...Mr. White dog needs a little electric space heater in his new house this winter! :D
Can you pull straight off the outside meter into a new breaker box? If so I could do that easily. My building is right beside meter

Won't the solar system actually be more expensive than just running power as with solar you will need a source to store the energy. I'm not a big fan of solar power, it may be a good choice for a back up but I wouldn't want it as my main source of power
I added everything up including a 2000w inverter for 430. If I can pull from my current service it would be alot cheaper to run romex I thought I'd have to get a whole new service meter for the building

Please buy some oil based paint. like RustOleum and put 2 good coats on that floor. Keeps moisture off which will eventually destroy it. Then like said, add a layer of anything protect it from wear.

Can you pull straight off the outside meter into a new breaker box? If so I could do that easily. My building is right beside meter
Look in the breaker box under your meter and see if there's an extra slot for an additional breaker. There should be only a 200-amp breaker in it to protect the wire going to the top of your inside breaker panel. If there is an extra slot, you can get a 20-amp breaker that fits that box and run it from right there.

Check on the cost of running an underground line out there before you invest in Solar. Even if you can't do the electrical work yourself, you could dig the trench have an electrician finish for you.
I wouldn't rely on solar to much. Take today as a example were I live it's cloudy, you'd be a day with out power

I wouldn't rely on solar to much. Take today as a example were I live it's cloudy, you'd be a day with out power
I was looking at solar and found a 50 amp service for a motor home.I don't weld anymore and use a 36 amp generator to power the shop but when the suns not out id use the generator

Got my reloading bench and work bench done in the shop. Got all my tools up and organized. I'm loving it.

20221105_071820.jpg

20221105_071831.jpg

20221030_182740.jpg

20221030_182728.jpg

I framed mine by myself it took a while but glad its done. People don't believe one man can stick frame an 8/12 roof by himself... :thumbsup:

-
Back