FINALLY, got it home!

-
I took it for it`s first drive today as well. Runs and shifts great! Feels tight and brakes work good! Drove it a couple miles. At 55 mph it is at 3,000 RPM`s It also has a "489" center section in it and is a suregrip.
Hmmm 3 grand at 55 wonder what gear is in it.

I think 355`s8) He said he ordered it whit "higher" gears and said it got 14 mpg on a good day.

I know right? If it wasn`t for my brother, I never would have known about it. He finds things ALL the time. He is a junker and finds a ton of stuff.

Awesome! Get out the buffer and that paint will shine!! I hope you just clean it up and leave it as is. Although replacing the sharkstooth grille will give it its identity back.

3:91's would be my guess, although its not coded on the tag for it (A31). Probably dealer installed gears.

I don`t think the 340 would have lasted 103,000 miles with 391`s.

You know, I didn`t think they come with the "489" center section in a A body.
Here is me playing with it with the snow tires on it lol.
0424111910a95270910.jpg

The 489 case started showing up in `69 and was pretty much phased in by 1970. The 741 case continued to show up as well. If the unit is original you should have a tag on one of the carrier bolts that identifies it as a sure-grip unit and another that gives you the gear ratio. Again, nice find!

Got em in eh? I wasn't running too bad this afternoon when I stopped by.

HUGE difference. Nice and smooth now. It was great to see you and your car! I really LOVE the 4-speed!

-
Back