Finally got permission to post up my buddy’s 71 duster

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
He sold this car several years ago and it was an original 340 duster with a shark tooth grill. It has a six point cage in it with a tilt out side bar. Over the years he’s has several 440’s and small blocks in it. He had sold off the 8 3/8 rearend and put a 7 1/4 in it to make it moble. He sold it for 5500.00 as a roller and the buyer said if he ever wanted it back he would sell it to him. Well over the years this guy put a modified 360 in it and an expensive 727. He also bought a Moser 8 3/4 with a back brace, mono leafs, and caltracks. My buddy ended up paying 10,000.00 to buy it back. Hopefully he can get his knees straightened out so he can enjoy the car again.

IMG_8279.jpeg

IMG_8278.jpeg

IMG_8277.jpeg

You say it's "an original 340 duster with a shark tooth grill", yet the tail end of the side stripe states "Twister". Twisters came with the shark tooth grill, but not the 340 (I owned 2). Questioning the details. Still a gorgeous car, and appreciate you sharing. Did it have the square normal speedo or the 'Barracuda' style "Rallye Cluster"?

THat's a beauty. I can see why he wanted it back.

He’s a transmission builder so to him that’s wasted money but I told him hey it’s drivable now and it wasn’t before. He’s my age and still building transmissions but it’s all bench work now. No more r & r work for him.

You say it's "an original 340 duster with a shark tooth grill", yet the tail end of the side stripe states "Twister". Twisters came with the shark tooth grill, but not the 340 (I owned 2). Questioning the details. Still a gorgeous car, and appreciate you sharing. Did it have the square normal speedo or the 'Barracuda' style "Rallye Cluster"?

Numbers mean nothing to me so I can’t honestly tell you the cars history. I know it was repainted well over 20 years ago.

He sold this car several years ago and it was an original 340 duster with a shark tooth grill. It has a six point cage in it with a tilt out side bar. Over the years he’s has several 440’s and small blocks in it. He had sold off the 8 3/8 rearend and put a 7 1/4 in it to make it moble. He sold it for 5500.00 as a roller and the buyer said if he ever wanted it back he would sell it to him. Well over the years this guy put a modified 360 in it and an expensive 727. He also bought a Moser 8 3/4 with a back brace, mono leafs, and caltracks. My buddy ended up paying 10,000.00 to buy it back. Hopefully he can get his knees straightened out so he can enjoy the car again.

View attachment 1716177010

View attachment 1716177011

View attachment 1716177012

Like your mower and tractor, is that your's?

Ford/New Holland 3415? Diesel?

Screenshot_20231210-213704_Gallery.jpg

Got one just like it here.

Screenshot_20231210-213802_Gallery.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Citron yellow is a nice color

He’s like me it a car. Drive it, cut it, modify it. The fender wells were cut for 440 headers as he’s has both size engines in and out of it over the years. He tried to get mini tubs in it years ago but guys keep canceling out on him.

He’s like me it a car. Drive it, cut it, modify it. The fender wells were cut for 440 headers as he’s has both size engines in and out of it over the years. He tried to get mini tubs in it years ago but guys keep canceling out on him.
Same here, chop it up & enjoy it. You only live once

Id like to say mini tubs are simple but they're not.
But they aren't super difficult.

Id like to say mini tubs are simple but they're not.
But they aren't super difficult.

Thing is now there no reason for them. My sons gone 10.11 on a 10 inch radial and he jumped on it with me in the car and it dead hooked with cold tires. Scared the be-gee-bees out of me.

Thing is now there no reason for them. My sons gone 10.11 on a 10 inch radial and he jumped on it with me in the car and it dead hooked with cold tires. Scared the be-gee-bees out of me.
With the narrowed dana in my car the 15×12 fit inside of the tubs, I'm not sure my tires would have fit though

Cool car! I wish your friend well with his knees. Knee and back problems can pretty much keep you from doing anything.

As I read some of the answers about this post, one said that the 71 Duster 340 "did not" come with the shark tooth grille!. I beg to differ with you partner, my 71 Duster 340, 4 spd, 3:91 sure-grip DID in fact come with the shark tooth grille......I should know, I'm the ORIGINAL OWNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I read some of the answers about this post, one said that the 71 Duster 340 "did not" come with the shark tooth grille!. I beg to differ with you partner, my 71 Duster 340, 4 spd, 3:91 sure-grip DID in fact come with the shark tooth grille......I should know, I'm the ORIGINAL OWNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t argue with some of these guys because honestly I don’t know or care. I know my 1972 four speed duster came with a shark tooth grill. 340 and also :91 gears.

24661500858_6333bed6ee_o.jpeg

IMG_2821.jpeg

40925848090_08d369f082_o.jpeg

He didn't say that. He said 1972 Duster Twister models also came with sharktooth grille. Twister's are /6 and 318 motors.

But 1972 340 cars did not have the round "barracuda type" rallye gauges. That ended in 1971.

-
Back