Finally Have Paint on my 65 Dart Vert

-

zephyr

Reaction score
My Dart finally has paint on it. What was supposed to take 6 weeks has stretched into 6 months. This weekend my paint guy shot the car with paint and 4 coats (?) of clear. I, of course, am thrilled, because I now have some hope of ever getting the car home. But, I'd like members' opinions about how it looks, from what you can see in the pics. Do you like the color? I'ts supposed to be gold. Opinions?
He's supposed to start cutting/polishing tomorrow. Has everybody been through the experience of having a car locked up in paint prison or is it just me? So far I'm 4 for 5.

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1559.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

It really does look great. Many of the golds I see are way too yellowish. This looks more champagne/gold, which I find a lot more appealing. Was this an original color code?

It really does look great. Many of the golds I see are way too yellowish. This looks more champagne/gold, which I find a lot more appealing. Was this an original color code?
No, it was a later Lincoln color that a member here recommended. Looks right on compared with the original paint on the car.

My Dart finally has paint on it. What was supposed to take 6 weeks has stretched into 6 months. This weekend my paint guy shot the car with paint and 4 coats (?) of clear. I, of course, am thrilled, because I now have some hope of ever getting the car home. But, I'd like members' opinions about how it looks, from what you can see in the pics. Do you like the color? I'ts supposed to be gold. Opinions?
He's supposed to start cutting/polishing tomorrow. Has everybody been through the experience of having a car locked up in paint prison or is it just me? So far I'm 4 for 5.

View attachment 1715175751

View attachment 1715175752

View attachment 1715175753

View attachment 1715175754
yep looks gold to me. looks good.

Looks awesome and that is definitely GOLD!

Color looks good on your Dart!
To answer your question about 'Paint Prison', my '69 Dart was at a well-recommended paint shop for over a year and I kept getting the same story about how he was progressing on it and it would soon be done. I finally pinned him down and he then started with, "I'm not going to give you a completion date. It's just taking time."
A week after that I showed up with a buddy and his trailer and yanked my car out of his shop.
It went into another shop about a month later where all the bad work the old shop did is getting fixed. It's promised to be out of this shop sometime in June of this year (about six months in this shop).
Turns out I got it out of the old shop just in time - the business went belly-up a month later.

I thought it was stock AA 1 medium gold poly. Same as my 65 Barracuda

Wow that looks great. Can't wait to see it in the sun. Can I ask about the paint specs? How much different is it from the Gold Poly? I have a 64 Dart convertible and 64 Barracuda, both originally Gold. It's going to be a long time before they're going to at your level. Congrats on your progress, looks great.

Looks like same gold as a 65 gt I have. Yours looks awesome, congrats

Wow that looks great. Can't wait to see it in the sun. Can I ask about the paint specs? How much different is it from the Gold Poly? I have a 64 Dart convertible and 64 Barracuda, both originally Gold. It's going to be a long time before they're going to at your level. Congrats on your progress, looks great.
I had to look back about 6 months to find the conversation I had with Pocket Aces, a member here. His car is a 65 Dart convertible too, he said,
"I looked long and hard for a modern paint code that was a good match for the original color. I finally found a color on 1999-2000 Lincolns. The code is BH and it's a dead ringer for the factory AA-1 Medium Gold Poly. But since it's a modern code, it's easier to match."
The paint is metallic. Was the original Gold Poly metallic?

Color looks good on your Dart!
To answer your question about 'Paint Prison', my '69 Dart was at a well-recommended paint shop for over a year and I kept getting the same story about how he was progressing on it and it would soon be done. I finally pinned him down and he then started with, "I'm not going to give you a completion date. It's just taking time."
A week after that I showed up with a buddy and his trailer and yanked my car out of his shop.
It went into another shop about a month later where all the bad work the old shop did is getting fixed. It's promised to be out of this shop sometime in June of this year (about six months in this shop).
Turns out I got it out of the old shop just in time - the business went belly-up a month later.
It sounds like you've had horrible luck with paint shops too, unless 6 months is a reasonable amount of time... Is it??

I had to look back about 6 months to find the conversation I had with Pocket Aces, a member here. His car is a 65 Dart convertible too, he said,
"I looked long and hard for a modern paint code that was a good match for the original color. I finally found a color on 1999-2000 Lincolns. The code is BH and it's a dead ringer for the factory AA-1 Medium Gold Poly. But since it's a modern code, it's easier to match."
The paint is metallic. Was the original Gold Poly metallic?
I'm not sure if it was metallic but your car looks good. Thanks for the info, I'll look it up. Keep the pics coming :)

It sounds like you've had horrible luck with paint shops too, unless 6 months is a reasonable amount of time... Is it??

The info in my post was just on the last two shops (both in Lake Elsinore). My car never made it into either of the first two I had scheduled.
* I had the first shop (Whittier) buy the paint before the LA County waterborne paint only law went into effect. Then he closed shop and disappeared with my paint.
* The second shop (Indio) was scheduled to receive my Dart and begin work. Then he closed up shop unannounced and moved to Arizona two weeks before I was scheduled to take my car in to him.

It's been an adventure...and the cost has gone up each time!

Is your painter local to San Berdoo?

The info in my post was just on the last two shops (both in Lake Elsinore). My car never made it into either of the first two I had scheduled.
* I had the first shop (Whittier) buy the paint before the LA County waterborne paint only law went into effect. Then he closed shop and disappeared with my paint.
* The second shop (Indio) was scheduled to receive my Dart and begin work. Then he closed up shop unannounced and moved to Arizona two weeks before I was scheduled to take my car in to him.

It's been an adventure...and the cost has gone up each time!

Is your painter local to San Berdoo?
Yeah, my painter is in San Bernardino/Colton. It's been very disappointing with the failed promises but I have a little hope again. Now I'll get to see how long it takes him to cut and buff and replace all the trim. I am really hoping I have the convertible to drive when the weather is still nice.

Our Inland Mopars all-Mopar charity benefit car show is Sunday, May 20, at California School for the Deaf in Riverside. Come on out and get inspired for your build.
We hope to see your pretty Dart convertible at the show next year!

Our Inland Mopars all-Mopar charity benefit car show is Sunday, May 20, at California School for the Deaf in Riverside. Come on out and get inspired for your build.
We hope to see your pretty Dart convertible at the show next year!
I'll definitely see you there. Will you have a car there?

I'll definitely see you there. Will you have a car there?

Nope, not this year. Still in paint, remember? But it will definitely be ready for our 2019 show.
I'll be the guy taking pictures at the show entry until the entry gates close at 10AM. After that, ask at the Opportunity Drawing area and someone will point me out to you.

Here are some pictures of my car in 1999-2000 Lincoln BH basecoat/clearcoat. I drilled out the rivets on my original ashtray to remove the bezel and expose the factory AA-1 paint that never saw sunlight. This paint is a dead ringer for the original paint except for shine and maybe a little more pop on the metallic.

View attachment 1715176186
Ruby's 2016-09-30.jpg
Rock-n-Roll Car Show 2016.jpg
Oct 2016 Club Meeting.jpg

Edelbrock 2016.jpg

View attachment 1715176185

Last edited:
Here are some pictures of the original, never seen daylight, ashtray, on the hood of a 99 Lincoln in BH.

20131025_121016.jpg

20131025_121144.jpg

20131025_121058.jpg

By the way, your paint job looks great, and from what I can see the shut lines on the doors look pretty tight. Wait til it's been cut and buffed and it's out in the sun.

What color is your interior? If it's the same as mine, you want the Saddle carpet color. I almost went with the Gold which would have been a mistake. Ulf Anderson helped me dodge that bullet.

If you compare it to other golds, it's got a surprising amount of green in it.

If you compare it to other golds, it's got a surprising amount of green in it.
I absolutely love the color and I am really glad it's metallic and has a ton of clear coat.
Dude, your car is gorgeous. Mine is same color combo and I'll be sure to do the carpets as you advised. The only thing that's kind of a bummer is the trim on my car is not in great shape. So damn much trim! The inner windshield trim pieces are pretty pitted so I'm having them painted… maybe someday I'll be able to afford to replace them. I keep dreaming I'll find a parts car with good trim but it seems like there's thousands of guys in line for those trim parts.
Thanks for the pics. I hope I can see your car someday. I am in Redlands.
Vance

Other than the candy canes, which are available from Layson's and impossible to find used in any kind of restorable condition, you pretty much have to repair the trim.

I used this company for my aluminum trim.
http://1800deburring.com

You take it to them and they strip off the old anodizing and give it back to you. Stripping is cheap and worth it. If you try to sand it off you will remove too much metal. Some say you can strip it yourself with Easy Off, but get the real stuff in the yellow can, not the environmentally friendly stuff in the blue can. Then you have to repair the metal by removing the dents, filing and sanding the metal up through the grits with sand paper and then buffing. It's tedious work and it takes forever, but it's also insanely expensive to pay somebody to do it. There are a ton of videos on trim restoration and you will need to invest in a buffer and the wheels and rouges.

Once it shines like chrome, you can take it back to the same guys to have it re-anodized, or you can have it clear coated, or you can leave it bare. I know a guy who leaves his bare. It will eventually oxidize and look bad, but he keeps his car inside, never gets it wet and polishes the trim every 6 months with a product from Chemical Guys. Not much work to keep it nice and it shines better than the anodized aluminum.

7E93CBD5-D811-4A26-8076-D84F91383C76.png
Great thread ! Very cool color combo. I have a 65 gt vert also, hope to have it on the road this summer, plan to redo it eventually, it was a California car now in NY. Not that long ago I bought parts off a guy cutting up a 65 gt vert 273 charger 4 spd that was black with white and gold inside

Last edited:
-
Back