Finally paint

-
I have been sick for 2 weeks. I found out it was a medication reaction

I went to the garage and my son finished the dash and console install. The car was auto on column,He installed auto on the floor with console. He also added a map light package. The new dash looks good. All the parts we used were here except the console carpet. We didn't have to buy anything.

The next thing is fill the rockers with chassis saver and drain them. Then paint the trunk floor. I found a new gas tank in the one race trailer. The less I spend the less I have to sell it for.

The only thing that won't be factory is the headers and the 69 air cleaner.

I can't tell you how long that dash is laying upstairs. The old bezel is available . No lenses come and get it.

DSCN0388.JPG

DSCN1208.JPG

DSCN1209.JPG

DSCN1211.JPG

DSCN1231 (2).JPG

I'm doing a little better. I started a diabetes medication "Ozempic". That stuff really made me sick. I still feel dizzy.

I just noticed the pedal dress up.

I have those trimmed pedals to put in my dart also I got them out of a 74 Plymouth valiant brougham.

I put a steering column together after taking four of them apart. I had issues with the ignition switch The original switch for the 71 column shift will not fit any of the 71 floor switch columns. I don't know why but both column switches were held in buy a ring. the floor shifts were held in by a button. Now I have to find the door locks to match. I spent most of the day going through a box of keys for the correct ignition. That really sucked.

Also none of the columns had a lower bearing as some swear by. One of them was original floor shift taken out in the 70's it had a foam seal that is all and you can see the other floor shift had one also None of them had bearings and they were never taken apart since new.

I found a decent steering wheel up stairs . The paint I use was Matt-Black rustolium from auto zone on the column. It would not dry dull . I had to dry it with a heat gun for it to get the same finish as the dash.

I got the whole thing together with Daves help. After it was done I saw the lock ring setting on the cart that holds the steering lock pin in. I think Dave hid it on me while we were eating . LOL The day didn't go well do to the column problems. I had that thing apart several times. I should have just sent it to Kent. But no I was the brain surgeon that thought I knew what I was doing.

Now to fill the rockers and front of the quarters with rustolium and finish the interior assembly. All this just to sell it when its done . I am sick of looking at this thing. Brown is not my color of choice. Orange or black would be more seductive to get me into it. But this is the way it came and I thought it would be better to have the original color for resale.

DSCN1245.JPG

DSCN1246.JPG

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1248.JPG

DSCN1249.JPG

DSCN1250.JPG

DSCN1251.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

DSCN1253.JPG

DSCN1254.JPG

Also note the mopar perfromance air cleaner. I wanted to keep the original 71 style. I added the breather tube that I got from Jim. Steve peaned it in like factory. Looks good enough for me. I bought it at Carlisle with the pie pan and the filter for $100.00

I replaced the foam seal in the column end with a piece of tooling foam I stole from one of my sons cases for a mill head, It Looked close so I cut a piece out of the box with a razor. First I drove down to the neighbors and cut the center out of an old tractor seat from his tractor he left sitting out That didn't work out. Wait until he sees that big square missing. LOL

Last edited:
You are doin way better than me. I don't know if I'll ever get the 67 together

You are doin way better than me. I don't know if I'll ever get the 67 together

I just want to get this done so I can recoup some money to fix my orange Duster. I want to here my motor again. I really could care less about this brown Duster. Its just another car to me. My son is doing the work and besides his day job he does machine work at night. So its going slow. If only I was about 20 years younger. I have a 4spd. Demon to finish and sell also.

Tanks in. Now the exhaust and rear today. Pretty soon Craigs list for BO. I built it with all used and new parts that were here for years. The tank was new but had some surface rust from storage so I painted it gray.

DSCN1269.JPG

DSCN1272.JPG

DSCN1273 (2).JPG

. They are the same cap that comes on the Cordobas and other newer mopars . They are colored . You just have to redo them black with leather/vinyl paint The chrome ring is rust-o-lium chome paint. I just found that horn button at a u-pull-it. It was grey;.

. They are the same cap that comes on the Cordobas and other newer mopars . They are colored . You just have to redo them black with leather/vinyl paint The chrome ring is rust-o-lium chome paint. I just found that horn button at a u-pull-it. It was grey;.
Thanks! Good to know, I'll keep an eye out I know a guy with some cordobas in his yard he just may have some.

got the rear in last night and the exhaust. Today I want to try and get it drive-able to take for an alignment while the fenders are off. The tires and wheels are Goodyear Eagles 275 60x15 the wheels are wheels vintique from summit racing
15x8 4 1/4 back space . They do not rub any where even that low at factory height and nothing trimmed. This car has the original quarters on it and are all metal.

I will keep posting pics until it is done. This body and interior were almost perfect when I bought it. I added the original buckets and console so I had to replace the column As soon as this car is off the lift I am pulling the 70 4spd Duster in and stripping it. That may be next weekend if I don't get any more things on the "Honey do list"

I was out in the yellow trailer yesterday for the first time in a while. There is fenders, body parts and transmisions out there I didn't know were here. Dave told me he saw them out there. That is where his parts are I usually don't go in there .

DSCN1278.JPG

DSCN1279.JPG

DSCN1280.JPG

DSCN1281.JPG

DSCN1282.JPG

DSCN1283.JPG

DSCN1284.JPG

DSCN1285.JPG

DSCN1286.JPG

Keep watching the paint and decal work will be done here also. .

Last edited:
Well we got a early start today But that did not help. I went to put the driveshaft on and it was to short But it was on the car before. I went and got the one from the 69 Barracuda and it was an inch longer. We were trying to figure what was different.
After some looking at it I found it was the diff. The Barracuda had had a 489 carrier. The Duster had a 741. The shaft was 1 inch longer.

While the 741 shaft was being used with the 489 carrier in the barracuda. We noticed it punched the expansion plug out of the yoke. We swapped shafts and now they both fit.

The 489 carrier is longer then the 741 and 742. The duster has a 741 carrier in it now . Originally it had a 489. That made the original shaft to short. We put a 68 shaft in the Duster. Then it was perfect. Ill get some more pictures tomorrow of the front of the shaft we installed. I already installed the U-joints in the shaft that was wrong so we had to go get more for the 68 shaft

Dave hooked the fuel line ends up and we also added a factory trunk light. Other than that it was cleaning parts. Glass beading the shaft and painting them. I am hoping now that this day job was solved. Maybe we can get the other little things done tomorrow and get it drive-able. Fingers crossed

The fully welded 2 1/2 inch Exhaust was here as you see it so I cleaned it up and used it after ceramic paint. Because it was fully welded it had to go up before the rear was installed.

So far most everything we are using was here from cars we parted years back. Saving this stuff is finally paying off .

DSCN1287.JPG

Last edited:
Whats the price for it
It is not for sale until its done. It is not advertised at all .

This car will be for sale when it is done and only when it is done. I have several that want the car that have seen the car in person.

69383valiant has been helping me a lot on the car. Now that it is this far we are committed. We were never at Mecum. This would be a perfect no reserve car . It would be an opportunity for a great weekend of fun for all of us.

Today Dave and I got the chassis work completed. Park brake cables were another issue. The cables that were on were to long. We had to dig through the shed to find correct cables. Then we installed the rear shocks and installed the new stainless caliper cross over lines. They were not bent to fit as they were so we had to fit them. A bunch of little things that held us up. Like putting tools away that were piled on the tool carts and the work bench. Nothing ever goes as you plan them.

Tomorrow I have to get Todd to go upstairs to look for a box of seat tracks . I don't want to take them off any seats in the trailer. We noticed the drivers side seat has a passenger side outer track. The seat belt hits it.

We also had several trips to Todds garage next door to look for brake cables in parts I have there.

Going over there always turns into a comedy show. Just something to brighten up the day. Yesterday Todd and his brother Doug were fighting it out and it turned physical. . Today Doug was over there Smoking weed so they were both were smiling. The days here are really a blast. You never know who is going to show up. Mopar guys. Harley guys. Or half naked girls when there is a party up stairs in the garage. There is never a dull moment.

The other day the 3 yr. old was there. I was suppose to be watching him. I never noticed he crawled out the dog door. He went out into the back fenced yard and was running around barefoot in his pamper. The dogs love that kid they think he's a puppy. He was squashing the fresh poop. well my son heard him out there and called my wife who just got out of the shower. She screamed Steve you are suppose to be watching him. She called him in. He came running in but we didn't know he had poop on his feet and between his toes. When I saw his feet I quickly went over to Todds and shut my phone off. Life doesn't get better.

How can a guy concentrate working on a car

DSCN1291.JPG

DSCN1303.JPG

DSCN1309.JPG

DSCN0889.JPG

I brought two radiators in today and some clutch fans.

Cleaned them up and installed them after some rattle can paint.Won't be long now and its going for a front end alignment before the fenders go on.

DSCN1336.JPG

DSCN1337.JPG

DSCN1340.JPG

DSCN1341.JPG

DSCN1343.JPG

DSCN1344.JPG

DSCN1345.JPG

I got it running today after a fuel pump swap. When I pulled the motor to clean and paint it I replace the fuel pump because the original was a little crusty looking. That and the nicer looking voltage regulator were the only issues they did not work.

Also I notice the seat track was hitting the drivers side seat belt. The left and right seat tracks were the same. I thought I had the wrong track on the seat track. I looked at all my seats I have and there are many here. They all had the same track.. So I had my son get all the seat belts down.

Three of us went through them.The bucket seat seat belts were different. I gave all the 69-70 belts to Dave and 72-73's to Jim. I kept the 71's. and found what I needed.

I searched google images and could not find one car with the correct belts installed on a 71 car. I dug out some pictures from years ago and saw what an original car had. I only had 6 bucket seat belt sets out of all the cars I stripped. But now I know what goes where except for a couple of odd balls in the box. I will have to look up the #PN's on them They are 71's but from what I don't know.

When Dave gets over today we are going to bleed the brakes . Then I can put it on the trailer and take it for a front end alignment before putting the fenders on. Then it will be listed on Craigs list for best offer. I need the cash back for the wife to spend it. LOL. Dave and I sat down and roughly figured what I will have in the car. a High cost would be Somewhere around $3000 out of pocket after I sold the 408 race motor it came with.

Lots of time which I had plenty of due to members + My son and Dave "69383valiant" doing the heavy work. My son will finish the paint this will be his first overall .Its getting close now.

DSCN1346.JPG

DSCN1347.JPG

DSCN1348.JPG

Last edited:
A while back we took the fender that was on the car but was damaged and cut it apart and used it to repair another fender bottom

DSCN1460.JPG

DSCN1461.JPG

DSCN1462.JPG

-
Back