Finally Put Electric Power Steering In My Dart

-
Very interesting, I will be looking into this for sure. What was the interference under the dash? Was it with the vent door on the kick panel?

Very interesting, I will be looking into this for sure. What was the interference under the dash? Was it with the vent door on the kick panel?
Yes, The motor interferes with opening the door. I can get it opened about an inch but I figured it was a small price to pay for power steering.

Yes, The motor interferes with opening the door. I can get it opened about an inch but I figured it was a small price to pay for power steering.

Yes for sure. I suppose one might be able to notch, or somehow modify the vent door so it might be used.

This would be a nice combo with my 16:1 Flaming river manual box.

Are you able to provide a bit of a description about the install process?

But it’s still hooked to the sloppy factory steering box and those joints.

So to install this I first bought another steering collum so I wouldn't destroy my original. We had to remove the collum and after disassembly we wound up cutting the lower half of the collapsible section off of the column (giving us more header clearance. We then fabricated a flange and welded it to the column so that the motor coyne bolted to it. I wound up buying Allen head bolts for it so they cleared the collum. The shaft had to have the collapsible nylon inserts removed and the shaft had to be step by step shortened until we got to the correct length. I used a Borgeson coupler at the steering box and a Borgeson universal joint inside the steering column (I listened the links above for the Borgeson parts). The wiring was very basic, unstitched heavy red wire to starter solenoid battery post and heavy black to a good ground. Small red to ignition. I just Velcroed everything to the carpet and my buddy Larry.made the nice side panels to hide everything.

So here's a link to the test drive video. I started out with the sensitivity adjustment about halfway and in the end I left it at about a quarter of the way up. You can literally park this thing palming the wheel if you're at half adjustment. I am considering installing a sensor on one of my wheels or driveshaft so I can run low sensitivity at speed and higher when parking.

Oh and by the way, this defaults to manual effort steering in the event of a system failure,so it's safe.
I am VERY interested in this thread.
We'll after waiting for the cruise season to end I finally (with the help of my good friends) I got my Flaming River electric power steering installed. The first thing in the mechanical instructions is "Installation is easy". It's easy if you're a fabricator/welder, luckily my buddy Larry is (64mopar on here). I've got to say that although I haven't driven my Dart yet I can now turn my manual steering with on finger. Can't wait to try it on the road. Here's a picture of what the completed column looks like. I will take a few under dash pictures later.

View attachment 1716021474

View attachment 1716021475
I am VERY interested in this post.

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Doing something similar for our G3 Hemi 69 Barracuda Fastback
Click the link for more pics and details.

Not road ready yet. Been waiting our turn to get back into paint shop jail for final paint...
I didn't see Flaming River EPAS when I was doing my initial research a few years ago.
I purchased our EPAS system from EPAS performance, Tilt column from Ididit, various couplers, U-joints, DD Shafts from Southwest Speed. Some trial and error, some fabrication and some modifications, etc. etc...
The EPAS comes with a dash mount potentiometer for setting the level of assist desired.
Like a small rotary volume knob... Dial in as much or as little assist to your personal preference or driving situation. The computer constantly measures the input and output resistance, it uses input sensors and resistance sensors to tell it how much assist is needed for each type of driving condition, e.g. parking gets more assist while driving straight gets very little to no assist.
Therefore the amperage required is variable based on the amount of assist needed and resistance.
No additional load when going straight...

Some of the other benefits of EPAS over Hydraulic PS; No PS Pump, no PS reservoir, no PS belt, no PS hoses, no PS fluid to leak, no additional engine bay clutter, no constant parasitic HP drain on the engine.
Just looks like manual steering under the hood. Not trying to bash Hydraulic PS, just happens to be a lot I would rather not have or have to deal with. EPAS is just another option we all have available now.

This is my complete assembly.
I was able to modify the stock Column Mounting Bracket and adapted it to the EPAS motor.
The motor is clocked to point towards the passenger side of the car. That is where I found it fit best.
Made my own firewall plate which helped with clearances.
It is Collapsible with a 3/4" DD shaft seen on the left going into a 1" DD shaft on the right.
The 1" DD shaft is going through a bearing mounted to the firewall plate.
A 3/4" DD to 3/4" splined U-joint connects the 3/4" DD shaft to a Mopar 16:1 Manual Box from Firm Feel.
upload_2021-12-23_17-40-16-png.png

Here is a work in process shot. Wifey was out of town so the kitchen table was available...
I cannibalized the stock column to experiment and test fit before modifying the Ididit Tilt Column
Ididit did the modifications to the column for me for $100.00 I'm betting their price is higher now...
upload_2021-12-23_17-32-15-png.png

I needed the column to be disassembled, the inner shaft shortened, the tube shortened and the wiring exit hole extended.
They nailed it! Great technical support folks.
This is a copy of the drawing I sent to Ididit for my requested modifications.
The modified column is what is on the table in the picture above.
upload_2021-12-23_17-31-42-png.png

Inquiring minds want to know. I have a newer car with electric PS, and it works flawlessly. The PS in my 69 is a little sloppy and that is with a completely rebuilt front end and a rebuilt steering box. I would be interested. I hope @superchargeddrt posts some more information and pictures.

I have a polaris rs1 with elec. power steering , the best thing to happen to off road vehicles in years !!

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

Doing something similar for our G3 Hemi 69 Barracuda Fastback
Click the link for more pics and details.

Not road ready yet. Been waiting our turn to get back into paint shop jail for final paint...
I didn't see Flaming River EPAS when I was doing my initial research a few years ago.
I purchased our EPAS system from EPAS performance, Tilt column from Ididit, various couplers, U-joints, DD Shafts from Southwest Speed. Some trial and error, some fabrication and some modifications, etc. etc...
The EPAS comes with a dash mount potentiometer for setting the level of assist desired.
Like a small rotary volume knob... Dial in as much or as little assist to your personal preference or driving situation. The computer constantly measures the input and output resistance, it uses input sensors and resistance sensors to tell it how much assist is needed for each type of driving condition, e.g. parking gets more assist while driving straight gets very little to no assist.
Therefore the amperage required is variable based on the amount of assist needed and resistance.
No additional load when going straight...

Some of the other benefits of EPAS over Hydraulic PS; No PS Pump, no PS reservoir, no PS belt, no PS hoses, no PS fluid to leak, no additional engine bay clutter, no constant parasitic HP drain on the engine.
Just looks like manual steering under the hood. Not trying to bash Hydraulic PS, just happens to be a lot I would rather not have or have to deal with. EPAS is just another option we all have available now.

This is my complete assembly.
I was able to modify the stock Column Mounting Bracket and adapted it to the EPAS motor.
The motor is clocked to point towards the passenger side of the car. That is where I found it fit best.
Made my own firewall plate which helped with clearances.
It is Collapsible with a 3/4" DD shaft seen on the left going into a 1" DD shaft on the right.
The 1" DD shaft is going through a bearing mounted to the firewall plate.
A 3/4" DD to 3/4" splined U-joint connects the 3/4" DD shaft to a Mopar 16:1 Manual Box from Firm Feel.
View attachment 1716028324

Here is a work in process shot. Wifey was out of town so the kitchen table was available...
I cannibalized the stock column to experiment and test fit before modifying the Ididit Tilt Column
Ididit did the modifications to the column for me for $100.00 I'm betting their price is higher now...
View attachment 1716028325

I needed the column to be disassembled, the inner shaft shortened, the tube shortened and the wiring exit hole extended.
They nailed it! Great technical support folks.
This is a copy of the drawing I sent to Ididit for my requested modifications.
The modified column is what is on the table in the picture above.
View attachment 1716028326

Does the u-joint on the inside of the car mean you squared the column up to the car? Always bothered me that the column and steering wheel are not squared up to the car or driver.

Always planned to try and fix that but haven’t gotten around to more than daydreaming about doing it.

Does the u-joint on the inside of the car mean you squared the column up to the car? Always bothered me that the column and steering wheel are not squared up to the car or driver.

Always planned to try and fix that but haven’t gotten around to more than daydreaming about doing it.

I added the inside U-Joint for flexibility in mounting angles for the steering shaft to clear the driver's side header and valve cover. The steering shaft comes through the firewall a little lower and to the left of stock, the u-joint inside allows the upper shaft/column to have a little steeper angle, and the wheel can be positioned somewhat independent of the lower steering shaft's angle. We will see where the wheel ends up and may or may not adjust for center.

We can also mess with the driver's seat location a little for centering.
SRT4 seats on Corbeau Barracuda seat bases. Just sitting in there for a test fit.
upload_2021-11-28_6-20-9-png.png

-
Back