Finally!

-

moper

Reaction score
I take delivery of my first slant 6 project on Saturday! I've wanted to replace the enemic 170 in my '65 for a couple years but couldn't really find anything that fit the pocketbook and condition I wanted. So now I've got a '71 225, complete with 4bbl coming. Sixes are pretty much new to me so I look forward to playing around with it!

Looking forward to seeing this swap, Congratulations moper :cheers:
Are you going to do a picture thread as you move forward ?
I have been told there is no replacement for displacement but I
really have enjoyed my 170 /6, it may be because my car is 2.700 lbs but she moves quit well, and has been a great daily driver but she only has this many miles on her Low deck engine, keep us updated :glasses7: just 2 more days :cheers:

Attachments

• Feet care 019.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 312
I'm not sure what I'll document. I do it on customer stuff but I tend to not think about it when i have the time to work on my own stuff.
I here you on the nice cruising.. But I really like more power. The 170 runs ok, but it's got a bad rocker (noisey) and low oil pressure after I abuse it. So plans are for some power mods - head work, cam, probably a custom stepped header. I'm picking up the 8.8 for it this weekend so the 3.73s will add some punch too. I just want something I can run around in and have some fun. People seem to really love this car and it's stock to the hubcaps...lol. So nothin crazy at this point. I'm hoping for 250-275hp. I don't think that's out of range and that's more than double what it's got now.

I'm not sure what I'll document. I do it on customer stuff but I tend to not think about it when i have the time to work on my own stuff.
I here you on the nice cruising.. But I really like more power. The 170 runs ok, but it's got a bad rocker (noisey) and low oil pressure after I abuse it. So plans are for some power mods - head work, cam, probably a custom stepped header. I'm picking up the 8.8 for it this weekend so the 3.73s will add some punch too. I just want something I can run around in and have some fun. People seem to really love this car and it's stock to the hubcaps...lol. So nothin crazy at this point. I'm hoping for 250-275hp. I don't think that's out of range and that's more than double what it's got now.

Sounds great, and the same here stock except intake,carb, I have 3.23 gears running 14'' radial 215X70 on Rally wheels for a taller gear.
Yep, they don't make headers for the lowdeck 170/6.
Is this going in your 65 barracuda ?

We need pics of the 65 !!:D

:cheers: :happy1:

I've never built a /6 but from what I've read the main problem to decent HP is the head flow some of the numbers I've seen fully ported head flows about as much as a stock 318 head 175 cfm and with 2 less cylinders pumping I think 225-250hp is more gonna be the range unless you go crazy CR and cam.

If you are staying with the 65 auto trans, don't forget the adapter bushing for the end of the crank. Also will need to swap the oil pan and pick up tube from the 170 to the 225.

I've never built a /6 but from what I've read the main problem to decent HP is the head flow some of the numbers I've seen fully ported head flows about as much as a stock 318 head 175 cfm and with 2 less cylinders pumping I think 225-250hp is more gonna be the range unless you go crazy CR and cam.

Yeah... I'm with you. In terms of building one - this will be my first - even my first time taking one apart. I've never tried to look at or use one before...lol. I am a firm believer that the loss of two holes means little in terms of modern building techniques and achieving positive results. Six cylinders just means some changes in the header design and camshaft specs because the firing is only every 120° rather than every 90.
I've been reading up a bit on them, with emphasis on Mr. Dutra's work. I'm learning a l bit specific to the slants, but nothing that is not already a big part of modern engine building in regard to V8s.
I agree that the head flow is probably the biggest drawback - with modern piston choice a close second. I have some skills with a burr and I know I can improve a bit over "as cast" and there are a lot of small tricks to eek out better breathing. With the other ideas I can apply I am confident I can reach beyond 250 if I can get 170cfm on the intake side. I haven't looked yet to see how "bad" as cast is. I know it's small - but that's only part of the headflow equation and not always fatal.
As far as cam and compression go - I know how to build what some consider high compression and my engines don't have detonation issues. I'll have to see what the chamber and block look/measure like - I may end up with a custom piston. That would already allow a big improvement over the old designs in the catalogs. There are much better cam lobe designs than any catalog stuff I've seen for these engines but the limitation will probably be the availability of a decent cam core. I'd hate to have to buy a brand new cam and have it reground - but that may be what it takes.
As I said it's all going to be a process of discovery for a while...lol.

How streetable are you wanting to make it? Carb or efi? NA or boost?

There was a thread some months back by "strokerscamp" about a very nicely ported slant cylinder head. Makes me wonder where stroker is at I haven't seen any posts in a few months.

Moper this gonna be a Kool build I'm gonna keep keep an eye on it, I've always wanted to build /6 ever since my uncle use to tell me stories of /6 dart that use to smoke built Camaro's and Nova's around town in the early 70's. I was even temped to swap one in place of my 273 in my Cuda would of been first 8 to 6 swap.

Mcnoople, StrokeScamp got the boot a few months back.

I was even temped to swap one in place of my 273 in my Cuda would of been first 8 to 6 swap.

Nope, my 66 Cuda was born with a 273. I bought it with a blown (up) 360. Installed the 170 slant, myself, along with a pushbutton 904 with the shifter in a console on the floor. It was probably also done before I did mine.

Mc - Yeah, I saw that post and the pics back when it was posted - Too bad on SS. Sometimes the web does strange things to people who are decent at heart.
My plan is that power level N/A, but with the possibility of a NO2 plate system down the road. A lot will depend on cash too. So it may be in stages. We'll see. The 170 runs ok, just down on power. So I have some time.

Justin (1wildandcrazyguy) on here just ported my /6 head and it will be out of the machine shop soon...He will post some numbers as well when done...My head was already machined with 1.70/1.44 valves and he came real close to SS flow numbers...
Are you going long rod and 2.2 pistons???

How streetable are you wanting to make it? Carb or efi? NA or boost?

There was a thread some months back by "strokerscamp" about a very nicely ported slant cylinder head. Makes me wonder where stroker is at I haven't seen any posts in a few months.

He was banned.

-
Back